The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-16-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Vintage guitar top refinish

I have a 40s 00-17 that had the top refinished at some point in time, but the back and sides were left alone. I think some type of oil finish was used on the top as it looks very satin-y, similar to the modern 15 series guitars. I go back and forth on whether I should get the top finished with vintage correct lacquer as I don't necessarily love the satin look, but my main concern is that the top would look brand new while the back and sides wouldn't...don't want more finish work done than necessary.

So I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who might be able to refinish an old guitar, but also "relic" their finish work to help it blend in with the rest of the guitar. And I'm talking about a good relic job like the guys at Pre War do (I know not everyone likes relics, but those guys do a good job). I was thinking of reaching out to the guys at PW to see if they could recommend someone, but thought I'd check here first.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:33 PM

The one Martin -17 I've seen, owned by a friend, had a satin-ish finish on the top that looked original to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair