The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-05-2021, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Default guitar played like banjo?

I just ran across and ad for a classical guitar that the seller says is tuned like a five string banjo--Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Old 06-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Post the ad.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I just ran across and ad for a classical guitar that the seller says is tuned like a five string banjo--Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
There are more banjo tunings than fingers on an octopus' hands, so this is a meaningless description.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:17 PM
Guest 928

Rick-Slo;

No. I'm really interested in the guitar and don't want to add any competition. I know that there are a million ways to tune a string instrument, what I'm not sure about is whether banjo tuning on a guitar requires steel strings--that would be a deal killer. I have yet to talk with the seller.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:20 PM

A D'Addario Pro-Arte rectified .022" might be adequate for the 5th string.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 AM
Guest 928

Rick-Slo;

It turns out that the guitar is a million miles from me and not a likely buy for me. The guitar is a Godin Motif, with the Q1 electronics, $300, Craigs listing 7322534410, Lonnie, Ph: 1-931-484-2488. this could be a good buy for someone.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

According to: https://www.deeringbanjos.com/pages/how-to-tune-a-banjo

“The most common banjo type is a 5 string banjo and has a standard tuning in open G - the notes from the 5th string to the 1st are G, D, G, B, D.”

When I learned this banjo tuning back in the late nineties, I figured out that a sort-of guitar equivalent is to tune the guitar (6th string to 1st string) to D, A D, F#, A, D. Now, if you put a capo bar on the 5th fret, you have banjo tuning with an extra bass string - EXCEPT - the high “g” note on the banjo is the open 5th string, whereas on the guitar the high “g” note is the open 1st string.

Ok, I thought, now I’m ready to play from banjo tab, just some slight “simple” mental calisthenics to play the 5th string notes on the 1st string instead.

Yeah, right. Real simple. Use my “a” finger (ring finger of the right hand) to Play the notes on The first string that a banjo player would play with their thumb on the 5th string. Uh huh. Not impossible, but often not so easy either.

Ideas like this is probably a big part of why playing the guitar is my hobby and not my profession. 😂
Old 06-06-2021, 04:28 PM

There are quite a few guitar players who play various forms of"clawhammer banjo" Steve Baughman has many Youtube videos, but several well known acoustic guitar players also play clawhammer guitar.

Clawhammer guitar, just like banjo usually uses one of 4 or 5 general tunings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical