The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-02-2021, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi Barry, I’m surprised you feel the need for an upgrade. Every time I use my H5 it surprises me just how good it actually is and how well it compares to my decent mics/pre set up. I did upgrade to the slightly better mic module (that allows a change in angle from 90 to 120 deg) but the difference in quality was small. If you put these in a decent spot then the recording quality is really very good IMO.
Maybe I'm "jumping the gun" a bit. I'll build some portable gobos at some point which I'm sure will help a lot.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-02-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Maybe I'm "jumping the gun" a bit. I'll build some portable gobos at some point which I'm sure will help a lot.

I am sure you can get a decent recording with the H5 - just an idea but maybe try outside. It removes the issues that require any acoustic treatment and I find that, aside from the external noise (birds etc) that the sound is surprisingly good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-02-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I am sure you can get a decent recording with the H5 - just an idea but maybe try outside. It removes the issues that require any acoustic treatment and I find that, aside from the external noise (birds etc) that the sound is surprisingly good.
I might try that, thanks Peter.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry…

WHY would you bypass the preamps in an H5? HOW would bypass it's preamps and still record? Preamps are a necessary part of hooking our mics to a recorder, mixer, or computer.

Perhaps you are thinking of buying a higher quality external/portable recorder with XLR inputs? Sorry if I overlooked something you mentioned.

Sorry I took so long to answer. I was thinking I could buy external preamps and run cables from the mics -> preamps -> H5 to record (with the H5 preamps shut off).

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry I took so long to answer. I was thinking I could buy external preamps and run cables from the mics -> preamps -> H5 to record (with the H5 preamps shut off).
I don't think you can totally bypass the preamps - tho do some research, maybe it's possible. I think what you could do is use the line-ins, which might lower the amount of gain you'd use from the Zoom (because you'd be adding it in the external preamp). *If* - huge IF - your external preamp is substantially quieter than the Zoom's preamps at lower gain, you might get a little less preamp self-noise. Is that your biggest problem? I suspect not. Preamp self-noise is rarely an issue these days.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Start Your upgades w/ OC 703 treatment

Aloha Barry,

I don't like to say it again, but you should begin any upgrade by getting some OC 703 rigid fiberglass treatment panels we've been suggesting for years now. Adequate, professional-grade Room Treatment is key to mazimizing any gear, at any level.

Zoom's are OK small recorders to begin with, if you use great external mic's & great signal chain like Doug does for editing, mixing & mastering, you can get decent, clear recordings. Small portable technology is a great place to begin acoustic recording, but it's always limited by its small size, that's where its cross-talk & self-noise issues come from. Move UP from Zoom's & the less expensive stuff, Barry. Sound Devices products have long been the winner among quality professional portable recorders (not the tiny stuff). Lotsa price point selections too. Check out And usually easy to achieve very nice home recordings & professional results. Far better than the Zoom H-6 too.

Also, think about selling off your very mediocre AT 2035 SDC's. You can do SO MUCH better: KM-184's, M-300's, 295's, P-28's, CMC641's, etc. You know who they are, Barry. AT's are over-rated & under-perform across da board, IMO. Never worked for me ever, even when I was starting out in recording, AT's just didn't inspire, behave well in all conditions, or truly capture the sound of my guitars or voice either.

Barry, you are so dedicated to improving your sound. And so self-deprecating in your assessment of your playing. You're Good! Let your gear - NEW GEAR - inspire you to better upgrades & musical results across the board. You deserve it, my friend.

Treat your space first! That's where you'll begin to hear improvements right away, even with just an H-5 & a pair of better external mic's: (clarity, separation of frequencies, no mid-range mud caused by early reflections in your room). Treat your tracking area with just two panels to start. Just one opinion.

Invest in your sound! Good Luck Barry.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-11-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Barry,

I don't like to say it again, but you should begin any upgrade by getting some OC 703 rigid fiberglass treatment panels we've been suggesting for years now. Adequate, professional-grade Room Treatment is key to mazimizing any gear, at any level.

Zoom's are OK small recorders to begin with, if you use great external mic's & great signal chain like Doug does for editing, mixing & mastering, you can get decent, clear recordings. Small portable technology is a great place to begin acoustic recording, but it's always limited by its small size, that's where its cross-talk & self-noise issues come from. Move UP from Zoom's & the less expensive stuff, Barry. Sound Devices products have long been the winner among quality professional portable recorders (not the tiny stuff). Lotsa price point selections too. Check out And usually easy to achieve very nice home recordings & professional results. Far better than the Zoom H-6 too.

Also, think about selling off your very mediocre AT 2035 SDC's. You can do SO MUCH better: KM-184's, M-300's, 295's, P-28's, CMC641's, etc. You know who they are, Barry. AT's are over-rated & under-perform across da board, IMO. Never worked for me ever, even when I was starting out in recording, AT's just didn't inspire, behave well in all conditions, or truly capture the sound of my guitars or voice either.

Barry, you are so dedicated to improving your sound. And so self-deprecating in your assessment of your playing. You're Good! Let your gear - NEW GEAR - inspire you to better upgrades & musical results across the board. You deserve it, my friend.

Treat your space first! That's where you'll begin to hear improvements right away, even with just an H-5 & a pair of better external mic's: (clarity, separation of frequencies, no mid-range mud caused by early reflections in your room). Treat your tracking area with just two panels to start. Just one opinion.

Invest in your sound! Good Luck Barry.

alohachris
Thanks Chris!

I stopped using the AT-2035 and went back to my Rodes NT5 and AKG Perception 150. I was experimenting with placement and just randomly tried pointing the mics down towards the floor, instead of at the guitar (10" -12" from guitar though). My recordings actually sound clearer, at least to my ears.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-11-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Default IT DOES SOUND CLEARER, BARRY!

Aloha Barry,

Nice job on 'County Cork' ( a lovely place in summer too). You're right it does sound clearer. Imagine how it would sound with a better mic/preamp combo & room treatment? But still, real good playing & very nice recorded result.

Keep it up my friend!

alohachris
Old 06-20-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looking for upgrade suggestions. Thanks.
Hi Barry…
Back to the original question you asked…What portable recorder is a step or two up from a Zoom H5?

Found this simple H6 recording posted by 'Driftwood' guitars. It's the builder playing one of his guitars with violin.

Guitar recorded by H6, simultaneously SM7 (vocal), SM-81 (violin).

Video - CliCk

I love 'simple' when it works…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Barry,

I agree with Larry, Chris, and Peter. You already have a very good interface with the H5 and it's easy to download the WAV file into your PC/Mac for mixing and further processing.

To quote one of my hero's, focus on the source which is player and mics. I'd spend my money on mics first and then the interface and/or a mic pre next as long as you are happy with your playing chops (and they sound pretty darn good to me).

I'm rediscovering my H5 for recording practice sessions. It's so easy and convenient and the results are quite good. I bought an Izotope Spire a couple of years ago and it's not bad either. Really nice if you want to iOS with it.

Happy hunting!

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD