The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-26-2021, 10:28 PM

Default Am I copping out by fingerpicking

Angie by The Rolling Stones? I feel more comfortable and accurate using fingers for the individual notes and a finger nail for the strums.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:52 PM

Smile

Would love to be able to play Angie, with a pick, Ebow, fingers, or whatever?
Old 05-27-2021, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

You use what works.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:35 AM

It depends what you want out of your playing. If all you want is fingerpicking then no. If you want to be well rounded, I think it's valuable to learn how to play with a pick so yes.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Angie by The Rolling Stones? I feel more comfortable and accurate using fingers for the individual notes and a finger nail for the strums.

As Nymuso writes, you use what works! If you want to mimic the original exactly then trying to play like Richards et al is good practice. On the other hand, to make the interpretation yours then a finger- or hybrid style as you described is fun and effective!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-27-2021, 09:58 AM

Do your own thing, brother. That may be how Keith or someone else does it, or it may not. You are your own player/artist.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Would love to be able to play Angie, with a pick, Ebow, fingers, or whatever?
I find Andy's Shut up and Play tutorial the best tutorial out there. He's stickler to detail to duplicate the recording. The only regret is, I wish he would put out a notes and tabs print out with it. It would save me some time writing it all out. That said, he goes slow and explains well.

It is trickier than it looks, but it is doable if you give it some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_i91qxQYM

Last edited by Cecil6243; 05-28-2021 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:19 AM

I concur with Hatamoto. I've decided fingerpicking, which I am better at, is taking the easy way out, which is never a good idea when you want to expand your skills. Therefore using a pick will be the way I will go on this song to get better at using a pick.

Thank you for all your comments!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 05-28-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Great thread. “Angie” is one of my favorites from my childhood years and it’s on my shortlist to learn.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I concur with Hatamoto. I've decided fingerpicking, which I am better at, is taking the easy way out, which is never a good idea when you want to expand your skills. Therefore using a pick will be the way I will go on this song to get better at using a pick.

Thank you for all your comments!
I'm not familiar with the song and I don't know how that's originally played so I'm basing this question in the general sense.

I always believe that to get better you have to do things you're not familiar with, otherwise it's not practice.

I ignored playing with a pick for a few years when I first started and my only regret is that I should have started earlier.

Fingerpicking still feels like home, but they're slowly becoming even. When I was pure fingerpicking, it was frustrating to not be able to get a good percussive attack with single line playing.

What I've been working on is developing a hybrid style like Chris Buck, switching between fingers and pick on the fly. I personally find this the best for me right now. There's a bit of a learning curve because the index finger can't be used for fingerpicking, but I find this particularly effective for keeping the pick in place and secure.

The traditional hybrid picking may work for me for simple lines, but it requires me to have the ring finger of my middle phalangeal joint more curved. I have an injury there and the constant curling and extending pops my finger and it hurts. I need to have it more extended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15wfdwarUw&t=327s

Last edited by hatamoto; 05-30-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I find Andy's Shut up and Play tutorial the best tutorial out there. He's stickler to detail to duplicate the recording. The only regret is, I wish he would put out a notes and tabs print out with it. It would save me some time writing it all out. That said, he goes slow and explains well.

THIS!

Shut up and Play are my favorite YT tutorials
Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more! Shut up and play, hands down, the best and most accurate lessons on the web. I believe I just read where he said he remedied what ever issue he had with posting tabs and that they're back on his site.
I haven't been there to verify is yet.....just an fyi.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Couldn't agree more! Shut up and play, hands down, the best and most accurate lessons on the web. I believe I just read where he said he remedied what ever issue he had with posting tabs and that they're back on his site.
I haven't been there to verify is yet.....just an fyi.
You have to order them privately from him as he still hasn't remedied the issue. He will send you the tabs/music for $8.00 each, which IMHO is a steal considering the time and effort involved.

I made a donaton tonight for $25.00 and asked for Angie by the Stones and Rebel Rebel by David Bowie.

I may be generous, but I want Andy to stick around for tutorials.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write