The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-20-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default The rumor is a 40 core Mac Pro Wow

So the prognosticators are at again This article from the Production Expert blog showed up in my e-mail this morning

In it they are predicting two new Apple Mac Pros' a full size with a 40 core chip/s and again the rumored 1/2 size with 20 core ???
PLUS some new Mac Book Pro's with the M1X chip and a new Mac Mini with more connection ports (much anticipated )

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 05-20-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So the prognosticators are at again This article from the Production Expert blog showed up in my e-mail this morning

In it they are predicting two new Apple Mac Pros' a full size with a 40 core chip/s and again the rumored 1/2 size with 20 core ???
PLUS some new Mac Book Pro's with the M1X chip and a new Mac Mini with more connection ports (much anticipated )

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b
There's also a new iMac in the works. It stalled a bit for other projects but it's coming. I'm guessing it will come with a screen in the 28"-32" range.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-20-2021, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I have an older i5 iMac (2011) which can’t be upgraded beyond Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra). My DAWs are Pro Tools and Studio One. I have plugins from many companies, about 200 of them. I don’t use MIDI or video and only work with 2 to 4 audio channels, so I don’t put much strain on the computer hardware or software.

I’ve decided that instead of getting a new iMac now (one of the last Intel based iMacs) I’m going to wait until Apple has completed its rollout of the Apple Silicon machines and get one in about 1 ½ to 2 years, probably an iMac M2. I froze my Pro Tools at v 2021.12 (did not renew the annual support plan for 2021 leaving me with my perpetual license) and will hold off updating any plugins until then. I’ll save a bunch of $$, well over $1,000, which I can use when I get the new machine to either get back on the Pro Tools wagon (which I have been using for 21 years) or simply divert all work to Studio One (which is completely useful and quite impressive).

As far as interfaces go, I’m currently using an Apogee Element 46 which is very nice indeed. We’ll see if that product will still be viable with the forthcoming M2 iMac and whatever OS Apple has at that time. My outboard gear will live through it all and I’ve collected some important parts for them should they need repair (e.g., a pair of M8 main modules for my dbx 786, six NOS circuit boards for two different pairs of Quested monitors along with NOS drivers and tweeters for them, etc.).

Another reason for freezing my system, and getting off the upgrade merry-go-round, is that I just don’t see how the newer software and hardware products would help me with my simple recording desires and I haven’t observed any significant sonic improvement in any hardware or software for many many years.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
…I’ve decided that instead of getting a new iMac now (one of the last Intel based iMacs) I’m going to wait until Apple has completed its rollout of the Apple Silicon machines and get one in about 1 ½ to 2 years, probably an iMac M2.
Hey sdsr…
I'm enjoying watching not only Apple as they roll out more machines, but the rest of the PC industry as Apple rolls them out.

You are making an assumption that Apple ever completes roll outs an entire lineup. I've owned Macs since 1989, and they never actually seem to complete rollouts before they are already altering the first ones in the cycle (which is great for meeting the growing needs of the future for both average users and video/photo/audio editors).

After OS X came out, I redesigned my software/hardware plans to use current software and hardware with whatever my needs are.

If your current level of machines are important, and serve your needs, you could always buy up a couple-three working systems similar to your current outdated one from that era to give you a supply of hardware.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-21-2021, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I’ve decided that instead of getting a new iMac now (one of the last Intel based iMacs) I’m going to wait until Apple has completed its rollout of the Apple Silicon machines and get one in about 1 ½ to 2 years, probably an iMac M2. I froze my Pro Tools at v 2021.12 (did not renew the annual support plan for 2021 leaving me with my perpetual license) and will hold off updating any plugins until then. I’ll save a bunch of $$, well over $1,000, which I can use when I get the new machine to either get back on the Pro Tools wagon (which I have been using for 21 years) or simply divert all work to Studio One (which is completely useful and quite impressive).

As far as interfaces go, I’m currently using an Apogee Element 46 which is very nice indeed. We’ll see if that product will still be viable with the forthcoming M2 iMac and whatever OS Apple has at that time. My outboard gear will live through it all and I’ve collected some important parts for them should they need repair (e.g., a pair of M8 main modules for my dbx 786, six NOS circuit boards for two different pairs of Quested monitors along with NOS drivers and tweeters for them, etc.).

Another reason for freezing my system, and getting off the upgrade merry-go-round, is that I just don’t see how the newer software and hardware products would help me with my simple recording desires and I haven’t observed any significant sonic improvement in any hardware or software for many many years.
I am assuming you meant froze at 2020.12 ?

As Jim noted I think we will see a new big iMac buy the end of this year or early next year. And I think if the rumored new mac mini actually increases it's connection ports it would also be a contender for a very capable computer at a lower price point. It will be interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-21-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, froze at v 2020.12. Had I renewed, with the release of v 2021.3, AVID dropped support for Mac OS 10.13.x (High Sierra).
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am assuming you meant froze at 2020.12 ?

As Jim noted I think we will see a new big iMac buy the end of this year or early next year. And I think if the rumored new mac mini actually increases it's connection ports it would also be a contender for a very capable computer at a lower price point. It will be interesting
Hi KW
Do you think they will increase inputs on a consumer focused M2 iMac beyond the current (2nd tier) iMac with 2 Thunderbolt and 2 USB-C ports and the Ethernet connect on the power brick? Yes, the new M1 iMac has a mag-connect with a power brick (which houses the Ethernet connect).

I'm thinking breakout boxes (or perhaps one properly equipped one) for me would be a must. I'm betting the iMac Pro models will be above my budget and need-for-speed.

I already have need for way more than 4 interconnects.

The Brio camera, the external 2TB drive, the iPad Pro, my SD card readers, my CF card reader (Canon pro camera cards) all are hooked to my current iMac full-time. I share a USB breakout box (with 3 more USB-3 ports) all need to connect as well. I'm already switching in/out cables regularly.

Along with all that, I still need capability to connect either of my two Digital audio interfaces or my USB-medium diaphragm microphone.

I don't anticipate Apple including more than 4 thunderbolt + ethernet at this point.

I'm glad that OWC builds good breakout boxes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-22-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi KW
Do you think they will increase inputs on a consumer focused M2 iMac beyond the current (2nd tier) iMac with 2 Thunderbolt and 2 USB-C ports and the Ethernet connect on the power brick? Yes, the new M1 iMac has a mag-connect with a power brick (which houses the Ethernet connect).

I'm thinking breakout boxes (or perhaps one properly equipped one) for me would be a must. I'm betting the iMac Pro models will be above my budget and need-for-speed.

I already have need for way more than 4 interconnects.

The Brio camera, the external 2TB drive, the iPad Pro, my SD card readers, my CF card reader (Canon pro camera cards) all are hooked to my current iMac full-time. I share a USB breakout box (with 3 more USB-3 ports) all need to connect as well. I'm already switching in/out cables regularly.

Along with all that, I still need capability to connect either of my two Digital audio interfaces or my USB-medium diaphragm microphone.

I don't anticipate Apple including more than 4 thunderbolt + ethernet at this point.

I'm glad that OWC builds good breakout boxes.

Good question.... I have not read/seen anything from the rumor mill specifically about more connections. I guess it will be a wait and see/hope..
Personally because Avid (Pro Tools) appears to moving in the direction of Ethernet AVB as the focus of their connection protocol I hoping both the top consumer iMac and Mini come with such ports apparently there is an adaptor for ethernet to TB 3 so maybe it's not a big deal but still I am kinda the cleaner the better in my preference

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...apparently there is an adaptor for ethernet to TB 3 so maybe it's not a big deal but still I am kinda the cleaner the better in my preference
I was able to use a $12 TB3-Ethernet adapter to free up my ethernet port for Carbon and still connect to my router but most of the adapters on the market don't support AVB. The only one that seems to work is from Apple but it's not a TB3 adapter so you wind up needing to use TWO adapters.

This is the TB2-ethernet adapter.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...hernet-adapter

This is the TB2-TB3 adapter.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...bolt-2-adapter

I got that info from Kyle Splittgerber of AVID.

YouTube
Old 05-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I was able to use a $12 TB3-Ethernet adapter to free up my ethernet port for Carbon and still connect to my router but most of the adapters on the market don't support AVB. The only one that seems to work is from Apple but it's not a TB3 adapter so you wind up needing to use TWO adapters.

This is the TB2-ethernet adapter.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...hernet-adapter

This is the TB2-TB3 adapter.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...bolt-2-adapter

I got that info from Kyle Splittgerber of AVID.
2 adaptors ? humm interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2 adaptors ? humm interesting
And not cheap at $80 before taxes and shipping. But it's easy enough for someone to free up the Ethernet port if they're using that to connect to their router. I bought this adapter and it works for that purpose (it will not work for AVB though).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082K62S48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YouTube
Old 05-22-2021, 12:06 PM

I don't know whether they have resolved the numerous compatibility issues with Big Sur that manufacturers are effected by. Here's a list of them from
Sweetwater for reference:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/
Old 05-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
I don't know whether they have resolved the numerous compatibility issues with Big Sur that manufacturers are effected by. Here's a list of them from
Sweetwater for reference:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...ibility-guide/
Apple doesn't fix those incompatibilities; the plugin companies do that. Some are quicker about it than others but there's always a lag ...which is why experienced mac users understand that we might be waiting a year of more before updating to the next OS. I only just updated to Catalina last week. I don't expect to even start thinking about updating to Big Sur until sometime in 2022.

YouTube
Old 05-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Apple doesn't fix those incompatibilities; the plugin companies do that. Some are quicker about it than others but there's always a lag ...which is why experienced mac users understand that we might be waiting a year of more before updating to the next OS. I only just updated to Catalina last week. I don't expect to even start thinking about updating to Big Sur until sometime in 2022.
Hi jim
When I owned/operated my studio, my system updates were one to two years behind waiting for hardware, software and plug-in developers to catch up.

The studio machine was seldom on the internet, and then only for updating purposes if a developer couldn't send me a CD updater.

My personal household machines were just that, personal, and did email, homework, surfing, etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jim
When I owned/operated my studio, my system updates were one to two years behind waiting for hardware, software and plug-in developers to catch up.

The studio machine was seldom on the internet, and then only for updating purposes if a developer couldn't send me a CD updater.

My personal household machines were just that, personal, and did email, homework, surfing, etc.
I'm like that at home, Larry. My iMac is my studio computer. It's connected to the internet but I don't do any web-surfing on it and I don't have email access on it. I do all my studio work on it and I use it to transfer music to the iPod that lives in my car.

I built a very nice PC for everything else... email, social media, Photoshop, etc. I'm very careful to avoid bad things getting on the PC but I take no chances with the iMac.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD