The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2021, 07:41 AM

Back in the days when Hill Country Guitars was still in business, three or four of us used to hang out on Friday afternoons. One day one of guys who worked there handed me a 1936 Martin D-18 when I walked in. I guess I was a doubter about that pre-war Martin thing before that. I played it for maybe a half hour. I still think about that guitar. They wanted $65k. They said that Bill Collings borrowed it for a while when he was working on the Traditional series and told them not to take less than the 65k. I think that they eventually sold it for 45ish. Neither was/is in my price range.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:44 AM

Ok, videos are uploaded. They are long. I left the shop after playing the guitar and called my wife to tell her about it. She said "well, did you make a video of it so i can see?" So i went back in and made these videos. For some reason the second one cut out and restarted, so there are 3 videos.

In posting these videos, i'm very aware of these things:
  1. There's nothing in my playing that "deserves" such a nice guitar
  2. The quality of a phone recording will never do the experience justice
  3. My singing in these videos is weak and terrible sounding. I am a good vocalist, but trying to sing quietly in a shop is never a good idea lol

Old 05-19-2021, 08:19 AM

Steve, I thought your playing was nice and I can see why you're smitten with the guitar. Maybe when this pandemic is over you can join one of our Lake County song circles.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:29 AM

I've had the HONOR of playing five different Pre War Martin D-45 acoustics, including the one owned by Stephen Stills. Of these, four were stellar and one was a sonic dud (not Stephen's).

But THIS one, built in 1941, was the star of the bunch and without question the best sounding acoustic I have ever heard or played. It had a small headstock repair and so was priced at "only" $145K. It sold instantly.

Yours truly playing that 1941 Martin D-45 at Gryphon a couple of years ago:

Last edited by 6L6; 05-19-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 AM

It has never been a waste of time to experience a wonderful guitar, regardless of the price. I consider it part of my education of what is possible.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:54 AM

That guitar does sound wonderful!!

After playing several boutique type guitars with Madagascar rosewood, I was smitten and I developed a bad case of GAS for the tone wood. I was looking especially for a Bourgeois OM or 00 with Madi back and sides. BUT I never could quite afford it or justify it.

Then, I came across a Bourgeois 00 DB signature with Indian Rosewood for sale. I bought it, and I'll tell you what, that IRW sounds as good as any Madi guitar I've played (and even better than some). I understand that Dana hand selects all the woods for the DB signature guitars -- and this IRW is truly special stuff. The IRW also put this wonderful guitar into my price range.

In other words, maybe you can find (or order) the same guitar with some of Dana's IRW. It might not be Brazilian, but you'll save some dough and I have no doubt it'll be an awesome guitar as well. As far as ease of play -- that's just Dana's neck carve. They are all so smooth and right.

Last edited by MHC; 05-19-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:03 AM

Dana knows how to build a guitar that's for sure.

At a music shop last year the guy behind the counter told me I had to try this guitar out. I picked it up and played it and it was an amazing sounding guitar, a vintage Larson. I was blown away by it. I didn't even ask the price
Old 05-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Smile True first world problems...

Nice axe and nice playing too. Glad to see Dana and gang doing bevels and ports.

IMNSHO a soundport is a big plus for the driver! And bevels sure improve the comfort factor!

I am truly blessed to have my three John Kinnaird Customs with monster TONE and comfort features galore.

His instruments are less than half of the price you mention, even with some nice extras.

I am going to get off the iPad and play one now! Hahaha

Last I checked there was a sweet JK Maple 000-12 FS here, and on Reverb.

Just sayin'....

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-19-2021, 09:56 AM
Guest 33123

This is exactly why I stay out of guitar shops.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:13 PM

I once played a Mossman Great Plains which is still, to this day, the only guitar that has ever moved me to tears. It was intense and absolutely exquisite in tone and response. It wasn’t in the ballpark of the Bourgeois the OP played price wise, but it might as well have been, as I couldn’t afford it at the time.

By the time I could, it was gone, of course. I still have goosebumps thinking about it.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
It has never been a waste of time to experience a wonderful guitar, regardless of the price. I consider it part of my education of what is possible.
I agree.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-19-2021, 12:47 PM

Dang! Cutaway.

I’m out....
Old 05-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

About a dozen years ago or so, I stopped into Schoenberg Guitars to say hello and play a few of their beauties. Eric put a classical guitar into my hands and asked me what I thought of it. I noticed immediately that it seemed light as a feather and I effortlessly plucked one chord and it rang out so clean, clear and full that it startled me. It was the most dynamic and balanced guitar that I have ever played. The quietest note was clear and the strongest strummed chord was clear - amazing, I told Eric. He proceeds to tell me that it is a 1952 Herman Hauser II and is priced at $30K. Needless to say, I immediately handed it back to him before I dropped or dinged it in any way. LOL! But playing that guitar was sheer delight. Hands down the most remarkable guitar I ever played. It was in excellent condition and I believe the head of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music purchased that stellar instrument. Good thing that Eric didn’t tell me the price first, I would have been to intimidated to touch it and missed out on a wonderful musical experience.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-19-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Well it does look like an expensive guitar. I think if I were to sell something to get it I would be afraid of getting that first ding, in or out of the house
I hear that!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Gotta admit, it does sound really, really good. Thanks for posting the clips.

If I win the lottery someday, maybe. But think of this ... It's a rare audience that would appreciate it. To a lot of people, a guitar's a guitar's a guitar.

Just to put things back into perspective, here's what a Guild D55 can sound like. Not too horrible. You could get 4 of these and still have 5K left over for a psychiatrist.

Last edited by Highroller; 05-19-2021 at 02:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion