The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2021, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
There is no good reason to ever play a guitar you have NO possibility of being able to buy. If you play one that really is THAT good, it’ll only make you crazy and dissatisfied with what you’ve got. I LOVE my $2000 guitar, will likely NEVER be able to spend more than OUTSIDE (MAYBE) $5000-$6000 and even that’s highly unlikely. I’ve played a few $3000-$4000 guitars during my search for my current guitar and liked what I have now as much or more. So playing a $15,000 guitar could lead to massive disappointment at worst and a neutral reaction at best.

It’s sorta cool you were so impressed, but where does that leave you now?

-Ray
I don’t know where it leaves him, but I know where he left all of us...He left us hangin’ by not stating the guitar ;-0

Definitely a first world problem going on here. I remember a post here recently where someone went into a store and thought a guitar blew their mind. They then brought their guitar to the store to compare, only to find it was the acoustics of the store’s environment that was in play. They left reaffirmed that their instrument was fine. I would hate to find that out after getting a 15k instrument home.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
I had a very similar experience with a Froggy Bottom guitar a few years back.

Blown away -- nothing like it ever -- had to have it...

I simply reminded myself of my personal skill level, compared that to the guitar's echelon and price, and that GAS receded real quick.
I had the same experience several years back. First trip to The Music Exchange. I was trying out a bunch of higher(ish)-end boutique guitars and after doing that I walked around and picked up a few guitars that were out on stands. One was a brand I'd never heard of with a cool logo inlay on the headstock. It was used with a burst finish. I played it for a few minutes and it was the single greatest sounding guitar I'd ever heard/played. Keep in mind I'd just spent the better part of an hour playing dozens of Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and Huss & Dalton guitars along with some really nice Martin, Taylor and Goodalls.

But this thing was in a league all it's own. I looked at the label and immediately notice three things: It was a Froggy Bottom H14, the back and sides were Brazilian, and the price was $14,995. Used. I very carefully placed the guitar back on the stand and then slowly backed away with my hand protecting my wallet from jumping out of my pants pocket. I didn't buy it that day but I knew that one day I'd likely own one. Maybe a retirement guitar. That happened this past December although mine is an H12 in EIR for less than half that price!
Old 05-19-2021, 05:04 AM

I played a Boucher that was like that about 7 or eight years ago.
The price was $3200.
Should have bought it. It’s long since been sold and I regret not buying it every time I think of it. At that time for me, $3200 for a guitar may as well have been 15K.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-19-2021 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:26 AM

Hi all, OP here. Sorry to leave you hanging. I honestly was hesitating to include the details on the off hand someone would buy it before I had completely convinced myself I could not.

It was a $19k+ Bourgeois OMSC Odyssey with Brazilian back/sides, Italian Spruce top, arm bevel, smoked Ebony fretboard, and sound port on the side. It's at Down Home Guitars.
https://downhomeguitars.com/instrume...dport-odyssey/

Man......still.

I'll upload a couple video, which will probably be largely unimpressive and include some subdued/rough vocals (i didn't want to get loud) lol I played a couple chords up high which normally difficult to play on other guitars i've tried. They were so easy to play and rang out so clearly, I had to flip the guitar over and see if there was some type of special bevel in that section. Never in my life!! When I actually started strumming at a regular volume, the way the guitar responded again made me stop in my tracks. Everything about it was utterly breathtaking.

Funny thing is that a couple years ago I went on guitar journey and ended up with my 1942 J-45 Legend from CME. BUT earlier on in that journey I had settled on a Bourgeois OMSC and had been shopping around for them. I never got a chance to play one before Gibsons started turning my head.

I may have to call Dana and ask him, being the builder, how the sound of this one compares with others he's built. It's entirely possible a regular (Non-$19k) version would be just as great.

Now i'm all messed up lol

anyway, here this one is:

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 05-19-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:42 AM

Ah yes, the omsc. It is on my bucket list. They can be had in lesser woods for 5-7k, but I've yet to see one for under 4. One day!
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-19-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Well it does look like an expensive guitar. I think if I were to sell something to get it I would be afraid of getting that first ding, in or out of the house
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 05-19-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no good reason to ever play a guitar you have NO possibility of being able to buy.

-Ray
I've attended several Wayne Henderson coffee house type performances, and each time he passed his guitars out to those by the stage to try out during intermission. It would have been foolish not to oblige him. Playing such valuable instruments can be an education to players in many ways. One thing that I learned was that an O-model, even one built by Wayne as a special order to an audience member, was not to my liking. His venerable dread was a whole other story...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-19-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
…I've never been affected by a guitar in that way.

Anyone else?
Hi Mr Woody

Yes. James Olson's shop in 1988 I played one of his guitars for 45 minutes uninterrupted. I'd never played an instrument like that before! Life altering…

I increased the number of concerts I played, the number of students/lessons I taught, and my family jumped into the project with me and we didn't go out and eat for 2 years and saved every spare dollar to have it paid for when it arrived. In April 1993 my Olson was delivered…which makes it 28 years old this week.

To encourage you…there are many guitars in the $4000-$6000 range which will give you similar quality and 'shivers'…Don't overlook restless players who unload 'used' handbuilt instruments just to try something else.

And it's not that hard to acquire money if you're willing and able to work longer harder and to set & meet goals.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-19-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:03 AM

No, I've never played a $15,000 guitar.... and I'm not going to go out looking for one!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-19-2021, 07:04 AM

I've been down to Steve's DHG shop many times. He has amazing guitars. I made the mistake 7 years ago of playing a Huss and Dalton Brazilian dreadnought. Best guitar I ever played. It was $8.5K. I'm obviously reluctant to spend $8.5K on a present for myself even if I could afford it. My kids will need college.

It would also be impractical for me because I would be afraid to take it out of the house to play it for people.

However that sound still haunts me sometimes. My parents and grand parents taught me: Everything you need and some of what you want. And it good to occasionally want things. Keeps you humble.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I don’t know where it leaves him, but I know where he left all of us...He left us hangin’ by not stating the guitar ;-0

Definitely a first world problem going on here. I remember a post here recently where someone went into a store and thought a guitar blew their mind. They then brought their guitar to the store to compare, only to find it was the acoustics of the store’s environment that was in play. They left reaffirmed that their instrument was fine. I would hate to find that out after getting a 15k instrument home.

Cheers
OK, so now we're not hanging anymore. And yeah, way beyond a first world problem.

But I'd still say that's a risky little game to play if the best outcome is a confirmation that you're satisfied with the status quo! I guess that could be a nice re-affirmation, but I'd say it's no better than, and probably worse than, 50-50 that it comes out that way. And if it doesn't, you're just gonna be bummed out with what John Hiatt might call "a perfectly good guitar".

I have a CEO-7 - I love it. I'm kind of interested to try a similar 00 or 000 Pre-War (company - not era) with mahogany B&S. If I really like it a LOT more than my CEO, I could save for one and probably look forward to being able to buy one (around $5000) in a few years after I turn 65. I'd have to put a deposit down and order it within a year or so, but would have another couple years to get the rest of the $$ together. I should be able to play one late this year or early next, if not sooner. I'm willing to take that chance because if I'm really blown away by it, it's something I COULD ultimately buy. But short of winning a lottery I don't play, I'm just never gonna take the risk of playing a $10,000 or more guitar because I'm never gonna be able to buy one without greatly limiting other areas of my life I'm not willing to trade-off. And I hope if I play a Pre-War, I don't like it much more than my CEO-7. But I might. I guess I'll see.

-Ray
Old 05-19-2021, 07:11 AM

I paid plenty for my Lowden. But when I was auditioning guitars there was a used Froggy with Brazilian for around $16,000 that I didn't try because I didn't want to love it.

How old is your car? You could always sell it and take the bus.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-19-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
There is no good reason to ever play a guitar you have NO possibility of being able to buy. If you play one that really is THAT good, it’ll only make you crazy and dissatisfied with what you’ve got. I LOVE my $2000 guitar, will likely NEVER be able to spend more than OUTSIDE (MAYBE) $5000-$6000 and even that’s highly unlikely. I’ve played a few $3000-$4000 guitars during my search for my current guitar and liked what I have now as much or more. So playing a $15,000 guitar could lead to massive disappointment at worst and a neutral reaction at best.

It’s sorta cool you were so impressed, but where does that leave you now?

-Ray
I got your point and it’s a personal choice. Yet you mention playing guitars that left you pleased with your instrument. For the most part, that’s what I’ve discovered and it’s a great discovery.

Playing the 30K Somogyi was a great experience that didn’t diminish my love for my McCollum and that was reassuring. Playing the 8K Froggy and the 6K Martin Authentic was disappointing in that I was expecting a lot more. Neither of those experiences affected my love for the instrument and only served to widen my knowledge base of what I expect in a guitar and what I value.

Playing the first Goodall that was way above my budget at the time, gave me the understanding of what I wanted in term of tone. These are important steps on the tonal path that can add to your musical journey, or as you suggest, “lead to massive disappointment”. I just never saw it as anything but education and for me, it has been.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
Stopped by a local store and played a super expensive guitar (over $15k) before looking at the price tag. It stopped me dead in my tracks.......I never knew a guitar could play so easily and so clearly. I've played tons of guitars, but this one seriously left me speechless. It was the most perfect guitar I've ever played. I don't know what I'm going to do now.... Man.

If I sold all my guitar stuff, I'd still be $12k short....

I've never been affected by a guitar in that way.

Anyone else?

Back in 2011 I played a Goodall that absolutely captivated me. I could not afford it, and left the shop very sad. That was the first time I had such a reaction. I also played a Collings 02HA at Gryphon in 2015 that floored me. Same reaction...I had to emotionally extricate myself from the shop.

Funny thing, though...I did survive without either guitar. GAS is a funny thing.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-19-2021, 07:36 AM

Here is what I would do.
Negotiate it to the bottom dollar then charge it.
I have never lost money on a Brazilian guitar even taking interest into consideration.
That looks like nice Brazilian.
Life is short.
Its a lovely guitar.....
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion