The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 05:57 AM

Stahl branded Larson. Essentially irreplaceable and one of the most incredible sounding instruments I’ve ever played.

Froggy Bottom L Deluxe. Easy playing, phenomenal sound, impeccable workmanship, beautiful to look at - if I could only keep one guitar, this or the Stahl would be it (don’t ask me to choose!)

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 AM

My very first guitar...Martin OM28V (2006).
Not my favorite though. That would go to my Collings CJ35SB.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:15 AM

Never have sold one.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
I'LL say never.

In 2015, I became one of the luckiest people alive. Here's the story.

In 2014, the strings division of C.F. Martin ran a contest called (IIRC) "Think Inside the Box." The grand prize was that you could design your own Martin with any specs you wanted, up to a value of $10,000. I sent in the application and at that time I had never won anything of real value.

In Feb. 2015, I got a phone call from a company in New York City that was administering the Martin giveaway. The very nice woman on the phone said, "You've won a Martin guitar!" I said, "Yeah, right, do you have a bridge you want to sell me?", but it turned out that I had indeed won the contest. So I had to start thinking about what my ideal guitar would be from the Martin Custom Shop.

In the past, I had owned everything from a Larrivee parlor to a Guild Jumbo 12-string. All were good, but nothing was the perfect size and shape for me. I somehow got to thinking about the Martin M/0000 body, but I had never played one. Thanks to my friends at The Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL, I got to try one and it felt really right.

I ended up going to the Martin factory in Nazareth in late March, 2015. I took the Behind the Scenes tour in the morning, then spent most of the afternoon with the folks in Martin's Custom Shop. We talked about various wood combinations, and I played a little bit for them so they could assess my playing style. We talked about a torrified Adi spruce top, and rosewood back and sides. They told me they had just received a nice stash of Guatemalan rosewood, and we decided to go with that. I asked, "Doesn't the M-36 or M-38 have a three-piece back? Could we go with a contrasting wood for the center piece?" They agreed that we could, so we used cocobolo for the center wedge. After that, it was mainly cosmetics - flamed maple binding for the body, neck and headstock, a headstock torch inlay identical to the Jorma Kaukonen Signature model, and a caduceus inlay on each wing of the bridge, to celebrate my medical career. Remember that the budget was $10,000? We came in at $9 under budget.

Months of nail-biting ensued. I received the guitar in mid-September 2015. The nice folks at Martin Strings sent me photo updates of construction along the way. It was, and still is, the best guitar I have ever played, and it has only gotten better with time. This is the one that will never, EVER, get away. I only hope my kids will do something special with it when I'm gone.
That’s why I would never say never. Because I might sell all my guitars for that Martin. I know, I know, it’s not for sale What a fantastic experience it must have been, first learning That you WON, then the process of designing your dream guitar. Would love to see pics (and/or perhaps a vid)
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-03-2020, 09:01 AM

My D41 is a keeper.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
If someone gave me $500, my Taylor Koa GS Mini ES2 couldn’t leave here fast enough!LOL
Totally with you. Still can't believe I bought one.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:25 AM

I've acquired a couple dozen guitars over the last 10 years or so, so I've let a lot of them go, but the 3 Guilds I've been fortunate to latch onto are keepers. The Gibson Songwriter 12 is on the fence.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-03-2020, 09:25 AM

🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵My J45 and OMC-15e.🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵
Old 07-03-2020, 09:37 AM

The first guitar I ever bought was a D-35 back in 1977 when I was 14. It is basically the guitar I learned everything on and the only guitar I owned until about 4 years ago. It saw me through High School and College, many family reunions and camping trips. It is the one I will never sell. In spite of it's age it is in beautiful condition.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 AM

They are all for sale, in the unlikely event that someone is willing to meet the price that I would want to part with them.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default “The enemy of “good” is “better”

I have a few I probably won’t sell- Because I already made the mistake of selling them once...
...fir instance:
The first came to me ten years ago. I was transitioning employers and received a chunk of PTO payout and intended to get a jumbo Guild, or Gibson. After about 3 hours playing every guitar within and beyond my budget I settled on the Martin Grand Jumbo 35e. I loved that guitar for years. Eventually because of another long story I ended up with a J-40 as well.
So I eventually felt it didn’t make sense to keep 2 jumbos, so I toiled about what to trade for... and what to trade. I found a guitar I had to try and brought both my jumbos to a local shop to see if they were interested in a trade- They were, and I came home without the J-35e.
Now that J-40 is one of the best guitars I ever played, but the string spacing on my now missing J-35 was more comfortable, and I regretted it almost immediately.
Fast forward about a year and another Martin Grand J-35e popped up on reverb and I sold or traded a few options to bring it within reach.
So having bought this guitar model twice isn’t that remarkable, people will come across a few les-pauls, or D-45, or something and pick them up- but having only produced about 110- This isn’t that common a sight- So I’ll not likely part so easily next time.

BTW- Earlier post with a J-17! That’s got to be a fantastic sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8890F0C9-1FF5-4AA3-AF31-27BC74071E13.jpg (27.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
I'LL say never.

In 2015, I became one of the luckiest people alive. Here's the story.

In 2014, the strings division of C.F. Martin ran a contest called (IIRC) "Think Inside the Box." The grand prize was that you could design your own Martin with any specs you wanted, up to a value of $10,000. I sent in the application and at that time I had never won anything of real value.

In Feb. 2015, I got a phone call from a company in New York City that was administering the Martin giveaway. The very nice woman on the phone said, "You've won a Martin guitar!" I said, "Yeah, right, do you have a bridge you want to sell me?", but it turned out that I had indeed won the contest. So I had to start thinking about what my ideal guitar would be from the Martin Custom Shop.

In the past, I had owned everything from a Larrivee parlor to a Guild Jumbo 12-string. All were good, but nothing was the perfect size and shape for me. I somehow got to thinking about the Martin M/0000 body, but I had never played one. Thanks to my friends at The Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL, I got to try one and it felt really right.

I ended up going to the Martin factory in Nazareth in late March, 2015. I took the Behind the Scenes tour in the morning, then spent most of the afternoon with the folks in Martin's Custom Shop. We talked about various wood combinations, and I played a little bit for them so they could assess my playing style. We talked about a torrified Adi spruce top, and rosewood back and sides. They told me they had just received a nice stash of Guatemalan rosewood, and we decided to go with that. I asked, "Doesn't the M-36 or M-38 have a three-piece back? Could we go with a contrasting wood for the center piece?" They agreed that we could, so we used cocobolo for the center wedge. After that, it was mainly cosmetics - flamed maple binding for the body, neck and headstock, a headstock torch inlay identical to the Jorma Kaukonen Signature model, and a caduceus inlay on each wing of the bridge, to celebrate my medical career. Remember that the budget was $10,000? We came in at $9 under budget.

Months of nail-biting ensued. I received the guitar in mid-September 2015. The nice folks at Martin Strings sent me photo updates of construction along the way. It was, and still is, the best guitar I have ever played, and it has only gotten better with time. This is the one that will never, EVER, get away. I only hope my kids will do something special with it when I'm gone.

Great story! I didn’t know Martin held such a contest until I read your story. Yes, you’re one blessed guy...to be picked as a winner!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-03-2020, 11:01 AM

I was lucky and got 'that guitar' towards the beginning of my guitar adventure. I started in 1996 with a very nice Taylor. It eventually went to some anonymous crack-head with a brick for my car window, who apparently needed it more than I did. Oh well. Then I got my Webber Koa OM, which again is very nice but not miraculous, still have and enjoy it. But after the collapse of the DotCom boom, there were many bargains on the market from motivated sellers. I chose a Santa Cruz Brazilian/German-spruce 000-12 with 42-style trim. A lot of guitar for a new player! It was a fantastic guitar to begin with, and at this point we've had 20 years to bond with each other. I'd only sell it for the sake of my family's wellbeing.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 AM

The guitar of mine that I hope I never have to sell is my custom Taylor GS.
I had originally wanted a Yamaha custom going back to the late 80's. This was a guitar that John Denver had that I absolutely loved.
When I was finally able to make contact with someone at Yamaha they told me I was better off buying a new car. Flash forward 20 years and I found someone again at Yamaha that told me they could make the guitar but the cost would be somewhere between 25k and 35k. Flash forward another 10 years and I had the money to have this made and was seriously considering it. Then I found out Yamaha no longer had their custom shop.
I ended up deciding to have Taylor make the guitar roughly based on the Yamaha I had always wanted. Harvey Leach did the custom inlay for me and he did a fantastic job. What he did far exceeded the quality of the inlay that Yamaha had on the guitar I had always wanted.
I spent a small fortune on this guitar. One thing that has crossed my mind is that I don't have anyone to leave it to that would understand the history of how it came about or that would even care. My wife knows the story but doesn't play. It will probably end up being sold for a faction of its worth when I am gone.
BUT IT'S MINE NOW!!!
Old 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking of selling one right now. And I know I will regret it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar