The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Amazing guitar, incredible workmanship and fantastic photo display. Off the charts on this one Dennis and Tim.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Amazing guitar, incredible workmanship and fantastic photo display. Off the charts on this one Dennis and Tim.
Thanks Paul. I'm very happy with how she's turning out. Still more surprises yet to come too!

-----------------------------------

Removing any burrs from the fret ends.

And they are all lined up and ready to squeeze into place.

And here's the squeezin'.

Then a little dab of glue to keep them in place.

And there they are. Ready to run my fingers over!

Old 05-07-2020, 03:44 PM

Well, nothing official, but I think that is a record number of pictures for a single day update. Congrats Dennis, I will check with the powers that be and see what you win.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Just another reminder of the level of detail and craftsmanship that goes into a custom luthier-built guitar!

WOW!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 PM

I've been looking in on this build since the first post. Our friends from across the Pond have the perfect word to sum up my reaction... gobsmacked!

A question for Dennis. The thread name is A McKnight Skinny Slope Dreadnaught for cigarfan. What is the actual depth and why did you choose that depth (I guess that's two questions)?
Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, nothing official, but I think that is a record number of pictures for a single day update. Congrats Dennis, I will check with the powers that be and see what you win.
I'm anxious to hear what they say! I'll have to share whatever they give me with Mary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Just another reminder of the level of detail and craftsmanship that goes into a custom luthier-built guitar!
WOW!
Incredible isn't it? Tim is awesome! And Mary knows what makes a good picture. Loving every minute of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I've been looking in on this build since the first post. Our friends from across the Pond have the perfect word to sum up my reaction... gobsmacked!
A question for Dennis. The thread name is A McKnight Skinny Slope Dreadnaught for cigarfan. What is the actual depth and why did you choose that depth (I guess that's two questions)?
Hi Barry and thanks for your kind words.

I know Tim and I discussed body depth. Unfortunately, I didn't write it down. I believe it is 3 1/2" but I will let Tim provide the exact answer.

Funny story on how we came to the decision. I attend the McJam in June each year and during a visit to Tim's shop he had a skinny Slope McNaught in the shop for a tune up and strings. He offered I give it a try and I was "gobsmacked." Not only was it comfortable to play but the tone and volume really fit my ears (and voice) perfectly. As the story goes, when Tim was building it (a regular Slope McNaught) a crack developed on the sides. Rather than trash the project, he and the owner decided to just to cut the depth of the guitar and boy am I glad they did. I told Tim I had to have me one and a year later placed my order. I told Tim I wanted the exact specs that were used on the guitar I had auditioned and, sure enough, he drove to the customers' house and measured the original guitar to be sure he could duplicate it. Awesome!
Old 05-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Dennis, this guitar is shaping up to be a real beauty! I got to play a McKnight Skinny Slope D at Woodstock 2018. I was amazed how much volume and depth Tim gets out of a thinner body like this. It blew away many other deeper body builds I played in the same room.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Hi Barry and thanks for your kind words.

I know Tim and I discussed body depth. Unfortunately, I didn't write it down. I believe it is 3 1/2" but I will let Tim provide the exact answer.

Funny story on how we came to the decision. I attend the McJam in June each year and during a visit to Tim's shop he had a skinny Slope McNaught in the shop for a tune up and strings. He offered I give it a try and I was "gobsmacked." Not only was it comfortable to play but the tone and volume really fit my ears (and voice) perfectly. As the story goes, when Tim was building it (a regular Slope McNaught) a crack developed on the sides. Rather than trash the project, he and the owner decided to just to cut the depth of the guitar and boy am I glad they did. I told Tim I had to have me one and a year later placed my order. I told Tim I wanted the exact specs that were used on the guitar I had auditioned and, sure enough, he drove to the customers' house and measured the original guitar to be sure he could duplicate it. Awesome!
That's a great story, Dennis! I look forward to hearing this beauty when you have the time to do some recording.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Tim, great work as always! Dennis, hearty congratulations!
I'm struck by the depth and beauty of Tim's finish. Just superb.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Dennis, this guitar is shaping up to be a real beauty! I got to play a McKnight Skinny Slope D at Woodstock 2018. I was amazed how much volume and depth Tim gets out of a thinner body like this. It blew away many other deeper body builds I played in the same room.
Hey Doug. We are going to have to get together and trade auditions with each others latest builds. Your Tyler Robbins looks scrumptious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Tim, great work as always! Dennis, hearty congratulations!
I'm struck by the depth and beauty of Tim's finish. Just superb.
Steve
Thanks Steve! Appreciate you!

---------------------------------

Tim prepares the pickguard to fit the rosette before the guard is sent off for engraving.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:36 PM

That burst is just mesmerizing. I just want to stare at it. While I could never own such a guitar, I am so appreciative of getting to look at it via this forum.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:27 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
That burst is just mesmerizing. I just want to stare at it. While I could never own such a guitar, I am so appreciative of getting to look at it via this forum.
We are very glad you like it! And thanks for following along!

---------------------------------

Next we have preparation of the bridge and pins to accept strings. I can say from experience, Tim's bridge/pin work is excellent. Love the way he numbers each pin and fits it precisely to a specific hole guaranteeing the best string to bridge transfer. He cuts a bevel on each pin end to ease movement of the pin past the ball end of the string.

Here the pin collar is adjusted ... no he's not cutting the pinhead off!

Numbering the pins and using the sander to bevel the pin end.

Chamfering the pin hole opening.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Slotting the pin holes for the string and round filing the bottom of the slots to fit each individual strings outside diameter.

Then filing a ramp in each slot so the string has a smooth and proper break angle transition to the saddle.

And voila! Bridge is all ready!

A shout out to Bob Colosi for those beautiful bridge pins!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Next we have installation of the K&K pure mini pickup. Takes nerve to cut a hole in a perfectly good end wedge!

Oh look ... Tim has a new feature. An end wedge sound port! WooHoo!

The K&K has a thumbwheel volume control knob which is installed on the bass side of the soundhole.

Tim tells me the guitar is so thin he nearly got his arm trapped when he was reaching in through the soundhole to install the pickup. The guitar is only 3 7/16" deep and doesn't allow the normal space for arms.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:32 AM
Music soothes the soul!

And here we have a special feature ... the neck block label few will ever see ... but I will know it's there covering the neck block forever!

Happy Mother's Day everyone! Be safe and remember … 10 feet is better!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop