The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Thoughts on Nickel strings?

Hi all,

I am considering trying out D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I play a Martin 000-15M (all solid mahogany) and currently have coated phosphor bronze strings. Any opinions from anyone who uses or have used nickel strings? I read that they are more sensitive to magnetic pick-ups, which I have an LR Baggs M1 Active installed. The thing that has me most interested is that they are supposed to bring out the natural sound of the guitar.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the forum.
I'd suggest you try Martin Retro Monels first and give them a week to get used to.
D'Addario Nickel Bronze second choice.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Welcome to the forum.
I'd suggest you try Martin Retro Monels first and give them a week to get used to.
I'll give a +1 to this post
Old 05-29-2018, 07:57 PM

I don't even want to suppose I could nail down the natural sound of wood. My frame of reference would be the crash it makes as it's felled. Other than that, I've never known the natural sound of wood and certainly not when it's excited by filaments of steel. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking a swipe at you because I'm not. I've just been around acoustic guitars many, many years and the sonic ascriptions and conjuring about wood species just seems to grow and grow. And, there's absolutely nothing buoying it that isn't subjective.

Nickel does indeed give magnetic pick-ups more to see than the other alloys. It is also a stainless alloy, meaning it will not tarnish/corrode like others will. I use GHS nickel strings on my classical (Set 2510) and the wound strings never tarnish. That particular set also has a wound third (g), which resolves the normally distant nylon G string sound. I only change them when the damage from fret wire contact heralds their doom.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Yup.

madhat.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, appreciate the feedback. When I got the guitar it had Martin Retros on it, but only for a few days and I broke one, so I didn’t have a lot of time to really try them out and never heard them plugged in.

I’ll admit, I’m a little biased toward D’Addario when it comes to acoustic strings.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I don't even want to suppose I could nail down the natural sound of wood. My frame of reference would be the crash it makes as it's felled. Other than that, I've never known the natural sound of wood and certainly not when it's excited by filaments of steel. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking a swipe at you because I'm not. I've just been around acoustic guitars many, many years and the sonic ascriptions and conjuring about wood species just seems to grow and grow. And, there's absolutely nothing buoying it that isn't subjective.

Nickel does indeed give magnetic pick-ups more to see than the other alloys. It is also a stainless alloy, meaning it will not tarnish/corrode like others will. I use GHS nickel strings on my classical (Set 2510) and the wound strings never tarnish. That particular set also has a wound third (g), which resolves the normally distant nylon G string sound. I only change them when the damage from fret wire contact heralds their doom.
Haha! That may have been poor choice of wording on my part...
Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I don't play plugged in so I cant speak to pickups but The D'Addario NB are different than Martin Retros and John Pearse Nickel wounds. The NB strings are brighter. The Martin Retros don't sound that great right out of the package, they need a few days to mellow. The John Pearse NW sound better right away than the Martins, but are just a little different.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-29-2018, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really like the D’Addario nickel bronze strings, and currently have them on both of my main acoustic guitars. Initially I tried the 12-53 set, and liked them, but found the bass to be lacking a bit compared to phosphor bronze strings. The 12-56 set restores some of that bass fullness. Cool strings, and definitely worth a try. I like the Retros as well.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlm View Post
Hi all,

I am considering trying out D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I play a Martin 000-15M (all solid mahogany) and currently have coated phosphor bronze strings. Any opinions from anyone who uses or have used nickel strings? I read that they are more sensitive to magnetic pick-ups, which I have an LR Baggs M1 Active installed. The thing that has me most interested is that they are supposed to bring out the natural sound of the guitar.

Thanks!

I've used D'Addario's NBs. They're really good; but Martin Retro strings are my choice over everything else.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM

On a Martin, I really like the Ernie ball Aluminum Bronze even better than the NB, but the NB are a close second. They do balance the tone a bit more.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:16 PM

I am a big fan of Martin Retro monel strings. I decided to try the D’Addario nickel bronze strings recently. My preference is definitely the Martin Monel sets.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Guest 728

I prefer John Pearse Pure Nickel over D'Addario NB. But as others have said, on a mahogany-top, there's probably nothing better than Retros, IMO.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 AM

I'm a fan of the D'Addario NB. They certainly last longer, and they have just a bit less finger drag and squeak than regular bronze strings.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I don't even want to suppose I could nail down the natural sound of wood.
I would describe the Retro strings as more "woody." I suspect this impression comes from the lack of treble ping/zing/whatever in the sound. It gives me the impression that I'm hearing less string sound and more guitar sound.

It's possible that I'm just crazy and it's just a different string sound, but to my ear it sounds like a reasonable way to try and describe the sound.

I think most of us would agree that we're just dancing around the edges of being able to accurately describe sound with words.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, bronze, guitar, nickel, strings