The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Thanks Steve!!

Ok continuing on with the bridge,

I got the holes drilled, 2-1/4" string spacing. Gotta love a good jig for this (not shown, but I got one.)

Then it's cutting the saddle slot. Here's a picture of the jig I use, I got the idea from Tony Karol many years ago. The great thing about a good jig is that you make it right and never have to worry about it again....perfect for cutting the saddle slot. As you can see in the lower left portion of the jig, I have a small section routed out to set the bit depth so that's a quick operation too.

And in a minute or two the slot is cut.

Some rough shaping on the sander before going to work with rasp, file and sandpaper.

And in 15-20 mins I've got the bridge all done. One of my favorite jobs.

And weighing in at a whopping 0.7 oz (19.84 grams), right where I want it.

Con't....
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 PM

With the top and back glued on I got it all trimmed up and sanded smooth on the sides. Ready for binding work.

I also set to work on getting the tail wedge done. Nothing fancy, just a simple wedge to match the back strip.

Simple contrast

Lined up perfect.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Well, It's been some time since I've been in my shop working.... the day job has just kept me too busy.

For those following along here's the latest work. Body all bounds, leveled and sanded. Fitting the neck will be next.

Back binding all done.

And here's the front binding/purfling all done.

Rosette and purfling.

Tail wedge

I hope to be posting more pics soon and getting this off to the finisher. After finishing my first 12 guitars I've made the decision to outsource my finishing to Rob Bustos! While I can produce a good and acceptable finish, outsourcing will render a safer (for me) and quicker outcome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop