The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Default Vintage Jose Mas y Mas Info

Hi,

I have a very old Jose Mas y Mas classical guitar that I'm hoping to get some information on. The only info I have on Jose Mas y Mas guitars is what is said on the label - that they were made in Valencia, Spain. If anyone knows anything about these guitars, please feel free to post it.

Thanks!

Ps. - Sorry the photos are so large.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Still looking for info, if anyone has anything. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Don't have much info but TMK they were produced for the tourist souvenir trade in the '50s/60s - my uncle was from Valencia and he brought one back for my cousin to learn on (she never did, BTW). If it's still structurally tight it could be a good grab-&-go/living-room beater, but I wouldn't invest any kind of real bucks for restoration/repair (got a couple cracks in the photos)...

FWIW the guy who was hawking these must have been extremely popular with the senoritas - the name loosely translates as "Joe More-&-More",,,
Old 02-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't have much info but TMK they were produced for the tourist souvenir trade in the '50s/60s - my uncle was from Valencia and he brought one back for my cousin to learn on (she never did, BTW). If it's still structurally tight it could be a good grab-&-go/living-room beater, but I wouldn't invest any kind of real bucks for restoration/repair (got a couple cracks in the photos)...

FWIW the guy who was hawking these must have been extremely popular with the senoritas - the name loosely translates as "Joe More-&-More",,,
Thanks for the info! It's definitely a good living room beater, like you said. I don't think I'll be investing any money in its restoration, but it is surprisingly structurally sound! And I love the cheeky "Mas y Mas" implication, haha
Old 06-14-2021, 04:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorb View Post
Thanks for the info! It's definitely a good living room beater, like you said. I don't think I'll be investing any money in its restoration, but it is surprisingly structurally sound! And I love the cheeky "Mas y Mas" implication, haha
As if they were made for the tourist trade - dear lord ha ha.

Whilst not high end in terms of finish, the older ones were mostly all solid wood guitars, built very lightly, and definitely worth giving a bit of love to. Mairantz music centre used to import them to the UK.

Just look at the rosette. You think they'd put that much effort in to a tourist guitar? You can see through the soundhole that it's solid wood by the grain. Yours needs rehydrating. Cut a piece of sponge, wet it, (don't have it dripping) and sit it inside in a coffee jar lid or similar. Repeat a few times until she stops drying the sponge out, and that centre seam crack should close up nicely.

Last edited by firefrets; 06-14-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:36 AM
Guest 928

You can also tell that this baby has been played mas y mas. My guess is that this guitar probably has a nice voice and can sing. I wouldn't refinish, but I'd humidify and keep it in a case.

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-25-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

i think it is beautiful !!!!! i would invest $10 in howards feed and wax..it will rehydrate/condition it and brighten the grain without changing its character, as well raise the grain on any miniscule cracks... be generous with the feed and wax...let it set for at least 20-30 minnutes, any areas that still appear a little rough coarse i would use 0000 steel wool gently with tons of the feed and wax ( going with the grain... and then completely remove it and then polish with soft cloth such as a simonz type car buff cloth...it is also amazing on fretboards.. i use it on all my guitars except my ebony boards

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical, guitar, jose mas y mas