The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
A little busking and you'll have both..
Hey, I learned a new word...

Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM

I'm in the get both camp.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Default A special label...

Cool!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

SWEET... Country Deco Stealth!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I am just cross-linking a decision thread for future forum readers...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=360202
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM

fantastic inlays!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Default One Week In: Impressions

I have had Kent's Concert now for a bit over a week now and have logged enough hours on it to provide a bit more of a review.

The Concert model is similarly sized to a CF Martin 000 size (15" lower bout), but has a wider upper bout by about 3/4" (12") and a bit more depth (3-7/8" to 4-5/16" on center). My guitar has a "Manzer" wedge of about 7/16" (4-1/16" to 4-1/2") that makes it rest as comfortably like a thinner bodied guitar. I ordered the guitar with a short scale (24.9") to make long-stretch, closed voice, jazz chord voicings a bit easier to finger. You pay a bit in bass volume and punchiness, but the trebles are indeed a bit sweeter. I had it set up with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights. The guitar is perfectly set up and the Schertler tuners hold tune extremely well. The neck profile is Kent's standard profile is a nice C-profile that I feel right at home with. The guitar has a adjustable neck that is set by a wrench accessed via the sound hole for seasonal adjustments.

Sound wise it is wonderfully balanced instrument in its volume across open strings when they are strummed. The string fundamentals are warm and solid and the signature BRW shimmer is there for that magical euphonic experience. Up and down the neck, the volume remains strong and the trebles remain thick and meaty. Strings discrete tones can be distinctly heard among each other. The sustain is very much fundamental dominant with a rising bloom and shimmer during its decay. I wouldn't describe it as fast and lies on the warm side of crisp. The picked harmonics are also warm and full in their timbre. It of course hasn't opened up fully yet and will get better and better I suspect.

What is interesting is Kent told me that he braced his tops to allow for upper bout movement (they have an x-brace and not a cross brace) with an elevated fingerboard. This is part of the top typically doesn't move that much in my experience. When I strum the guitar I do feel quite a bit of movement there which is unlike my prior guitars (CF Martin M-38 and Bourgeois OM-150). I think the upper bout being free of the fingerboard, a bit wider and braced differently adds to its voice. Here's a shot of the elevated fingerboard.

I asked Kent for a guitar that had warm strong fundamentals, thick trebles with some euphonic overtones. That is exactly what he delivered for me. Those of you who have followed the build over the last year have seen the creation of a unique design and witnessed Kent's master craftsmanship. What I am happy to tell you is that Kent's guitar has a warm, responsive voice; balanced in its timbre with a good mix of wood and string. In short, a joy to play.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 10-25-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Man this is a beautiful guitar. Aside from the incredibly tasteful prairie style appointments, I find myself drawn to the shape of the bridge.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Man this is a beautiful guitar. Aside from the incredibly tasteful prairie style appointments, I find myself drawn to the shape of the bridge.
Thanks! This thread has sat idle for a year nd a half. It was indeed a project of joint passions and Kent did a fantastic job with it.

The bridge actually is Kent's "signature" shape that he uses on all of his guitars. Check out his website at: http://www.chassonguitars.com/. Kent is actually taking a break in 2016 from lutherie to build his new home in Washington State. Like all great great guitars, after a year and a half of play sounds better and better...

Old 03-04-2016, 04:31 PM

What a great thread and what a beautiful guitar.
Absolutely stunning.
Love it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop