The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Don't let the 'brand snobs' get to you. You can mention ANY commercial brand name here and get detractors!
You didn't mention if this was new or used, or how much it was. I'm surprised that the CD60CE is now selling 'normally' for $299 - a little over a year ago it was $269. The CD140SCE sells for the same amount and has a solid spruce top, rather than laminated and is better sounding because of it.

A few other brand suggestions thrown out there by others are 1-1/2 to 2X as expensive as the Fender. And some other choices in the same price range aren't pickup-equipped.

1) Is this your first acoustic?
2) What are your planned uses - practice at home, playing with a band, solo gigs?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM

I have never played a Fender acoustic ( ever ) that was worth a lick .
They make great Electrics -first class . but their acoustics suck -no exageration.

GC sells a base model for like 99 bucks , I remember someones grandmother buying them one when i was in the store -
if you want to destroy someones desire to learn the guitar -get them a Fender acoustic -
Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
if you want to destroy someones desire to learn the guitar -get them a Fender acoustic -
nonsense not a lick of truth to that .
Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 PM

Come on guys... Fender is deservedly appreciated for their acoustic guitars every bit as much as Martin is appreciated for their electric guitars.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns
nonsense not a lick of truth to that .
Actually, there is a fair amount of truth in that.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM

My advice would be to ignore the name on the headstock and play the thing if possible. Granted, Fender doesn't have a great track record when it comes to acoustic guitars but I have played a few in the last couple of months that sounded pretty good actually.

Bottom line, you can find good guitars at any price point and you can find crappy guitars at any price point.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM

I'm a pretty new guitar player. I bought a brand new Fender acoustic to learn on. I did my research first and bought one that was reasonably priced and got good reviews from what I can see. I liked that it came with a hard shell case even though it was pretty cheap. (It's a CD60). I played on it for a few months, but couldn't shake the feeling that it was just a little too bulky for me. I was having trouble playing, it was buzzy on me, and that discouraged me. That and that it was all laminate bugged me - I couldn't get past the cheapness. I know a beginner shouldn't care, but I cared.

I sold it a few weeks ago and bought my dream guitar (a Gibson) and I am MUCH happier. I love my guitar. Would I recommend a cheap Fender to learn on? Only if you REALLY can't afford a better guitar. If you can buy a better one now, at least one with solid wood top, you'll be ahead in the long run.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
to my recollection their has never been any acoustic guitar with the name fender on the top that has ever been worth anything. not joking!
so pass on that !

a few of those surf guitars from the late sixties and early seventies - with the big head ,bolt-on necks were a fad -but even they sucked somewhat -thou they had great mojo
You're mistaken my friend.

I've played older Fender acoustics that were very nice guitars. I am talking about those built in the 70's and 80's, not newer ones.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM

I have a friend who bought a Fender "dread" (double meaning!) awhile back to use to record with. I think he has tried it twice. His daughter recently bought one of the top line Epiphone dreads with a cutaway, I forget which model. After playing it my pal said he would be giving the Fender to the first kid who showed an interest in learning to play guitar, then hesitated and said "nah, I can't do that to them. This thing should be busted up to make paint stir sticks". For a company with a solid history of a few of the most famous electrics I am amazed they continue to crank out acoustics that aren't even on a par with an Esteban!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:26 PM

I played a Fender CD60. It was not an awful guitar. It played well, but just sounded fair at best. My personal favorite budget guitar is a Samick. I also like Yamaha Cort and seagull. I think the Samick D-5CE is the best sounding guitar in the $300 range. They feature a solid top and Grover tuners. Aesthetically, they are also one of the nicer options as well because they are fully bound and have snowflake inlays. Nice guitar.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Come on guys... Fender is deservedly appreciated for their acoustic guitars every bit as much as Martin is appreciated for their electric guitars.

Actually, there is a fair amount of truth in that.

yes I agree that post of his is nonsense
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Ya Fender Parlor CP-100 only $300 and sounds great and plays great
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant0086 View Post
I played a Fender CD60. It was not an awful guitar. It played well, but just sounded fair at best. My personal favorite budget guitar is a Samick. I also like Yamaha Cort and seagull. I think the Samick D-5CE is the best sounding guitar in the $300 range. They feature a solid top and Grover tuners. Aesthetically, they are also one of the nicer options as well because they are fully bound and have snowflake inlays. Nice guitar.
Am looking into whether the Fender CP-100 parlor made in Indonesia is either a Cort or Samick production (then Fender-branded guitar). Does not have the serial number Cort prefix (ICF) referenced on the Fender website but "IPS" instead. I sent them an email after the customer service guy said was unfamilar with that prefix. Just out of curiosity...

I do think Samick and Cort are among the best values out there...

Last edited by Guest 429; 10-30-2013 at 04:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender, guitar