The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Very nice Kent, that's some great craftsmanship right there.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM

OK, these are strung up and I got lots of finished shots. I had the honor of being invited to join the Luthier's Consortium at the NAMM show this year, January 24th-27th. Thanks to Trevor and the owner of the Ziricote guitar, I will be bringing both of these to the festivities. Looks like I'll have a cedar/walnut Classic as well. Details at the link above. Stop by if you can!

Last edited by Kent Chasson; 12-26-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Default 2 Chasson Concerts

beautiful

That is all I can say
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Wow Kent they look amazing.. and great photographs.. do you have any more?

Last edited by Trevor M; 12-26-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM

And the Redwood/Ziricote.....

Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Wow Kent they look amazing.. and great photographs.. do you have any more?
Hmm, I did post one twice so maybe I missed one. Will check later. I'll send you the link to the full size ones if you can use them.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM

I REALLY like both of them! Especially the ziricote/redwood. Nice job Kent
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Love the body and headstock shape, unadorned fretboard, materials, workmanship; in short - everything!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFish View Post
Love the body and headstock shape, unadorned fretboard, materials, workmanship; in short - everything!

...don't forget the new cutaway shape.

Well done, all the way around...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-27-2012, 01:04 AM

Those turned out great, Kent. Any preference in tone of one over the other?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Franklin View Post
Those turned out great, Kent. Any preference in tone of one over the other?
Ken, they are decidedly different from each other. The owner of the redwood guitar already owns an Engelmann/Brazilian guitar of mine and wanted something different to compliment it. The redwood has that typical immediate response. It's easily driven, open and warm. I'm undecided on whether it has unusual headroom or whether it just has a lot of volume to begin with. In a small room, I'm told it's louder out front than the Engelmann, even though it's a shorter scale. Haven't tried them in a bigger room with listeners farther away. It's for a fingerstyle player who plays mostly with flesh but is heading toward more jazz. I think it will work well for him.

The Engelmann guitar is versatile but better suited for my flatpicking than the redwood. It also has a very quick response but not as immediate as the redwood. The Coco back gives it a solid, thick sound. All in all, I'm well pleased with both of them and I'm still thinking this body size is about as versatile as it gets. You really can get the full range from growl on the bottom to clarity and presence on the top.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Both are very good-looking, but the blonde piques my interest.... I also like the idea of "thick-sounding" cocobolo, that sounds like it's a good thing on a guitar. Twould be nice to hear them in the flesh..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Beautiful guitars...love the "new" Sexauer-ish cutaway shape...great pictures...congratulations on such wonderful builds...
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Default Review by the New Owner

This is my first post to AGF, and I’m happy to be the new owner of Kent’s Redwood/Ziricote Concert. I received the guitar four days ago and have been joyfully discovering its quality and character.

It looks even better in person than in the pictures – especially the redwood top. The quality of the woods and craftsmanship are superb. I love the way the ziricote, redwood and ebony rosette/trim work together to bring out the beauty on the wood itself, without reliance on decorative trim or inlays. It is elegant, without ostentation. And the hybrid cutaway is truly the best of both worlds (thank you, Bruce Sexauer.)

The sound is astounding in so many respects: responsiveness, warmth, sustain, volume, balance and clarity. I am baffled by how the slightest touch can light up the redwood and produce so much sound – and that’s with light strings! The bass is strong, the mids are clear, and the highs could not be sweeter. Add to this excellent note separation and very high headroom and the potential for expressiveness far exceeds my ability; but that will inspire me to improve.

I had a guitar lesson yesterday and my teacher was “wowed” – literally and figuratively. He said “wow!” at least 20 times, first for the quality of the woods and trim, second for the volume and responsiveness, third for the sustain, then for the tone and fullness of sound from both playing and listening positions. When I played a canticle in a higher register he enthused that "it sounds like a recording" and "it sounds like a bell." (Trust me -- it was not my playing!) To put his reactions in context, my teacher owns a similar sized, fully open guitar from a world-renowned luthier, so he is no stranger to quality.

I own a 2006 Chasson Grand Auditorium with Engelmann and Brazilian rosewood. It is a wonderful guitar with exceptional woods and a sumptuous tone. That said, it is clear from the Redwood/Ziricote Concert that Kent has upped his game, and has taken his craft to a new level. I so enjoyed collaborating with him. He took my often-inarticulate input, provided lots of alternatives and suggestions, and over time we locked into the body size, woods, trim, cutaway design and other features. Kent’s conscientious communication was key to the success of this build. I could not be more thrilled with the guitar.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM

Thumbs up

Well the world is definitely a better place after hearing the pleasure you are gaining from this instrument. May it long bring a smile to your face and heart!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop