The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Please Read! Need help with my acoustic!

Hi there. So I have noticed that I get a strange harmonic noise on my guitar. When I strum all my strings and try to rest my palm on the strings to cancel out the noise, instead a weird noise is ringing. I noticed that it usually occurs on my high e, b, and g strings. I have found the source of my problem, it is above the nut where the strings are attached to the machine heads. I can cancel out the harmonic noise by putting a capo in that area, but I really don't know how to fix it besides temporarily fixing it with my capo. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I have already replaced the strings three times, yet I still get the same problem. Can someone please help out?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Take it to a luthier and let him/her sort it out. This does not appear to be a simple fix.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Try a small piece of cloth the same color as the headstock, roll it up and slip it carefully under the strings just above the nut. That should dampen the noise... It is nothing serious.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLuisLoco View Post
...Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I have already replaced the strings three times, yet I still get the same problem. Can someone please help out?
Hi ElLuisLoco…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined…

Don't know if it's a defect as much as a characteristic of some guitars.

I have seen players weave a strip of felt through the strings above the nut as a 'mute'. Seems like an easy answer…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Perhaps the nuts that attach the tuners are loose? (if they do indeed have nuts)

Make sure the tuners are tight
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the replies. I have found another possible source of my problem. This ringing in my guitar has happened ever since I cut off my strings at full tension while changing the strings the first time. Could that have caused this noise? And if so how can I fix that?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLuisLoco View Post
Thank you for the replies. I have found another possible source of my problem. This ringing in my guitar has happened ever since I cut off my strings at full tension while changing the strings the first time. Could that have caused this noise? And if so how can I fix that?
No.

(more characters to meet the minimum character limit)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, guitar, harmonic, problem, strings