The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Default A shoutout for Dennis Kwasnycia

Howdy all! I am fairly new to the AGF and totally new to the whole luthier built made-to-order guitars scene. Anyways, I live and work in Chatham-Kent in southwestern Ontario...the same place that Dennis calls home. In fact, we both grew up on the same street just a few blocks apart. I first met Dennis and his work at a local woodworking show about 15 years ago, at which, I became very impressed by his guitar building skills. However, back then, I didn't know the difference between a Martin and a Sears special, let alone either to a Kwasnycia. Our paths have not crossed since that time until today.

Fast forward to now...one of my guitars was buzzing a little as I moved up the fret, so after reading on this forum all about proper "set-up" I gave Dennis a call to see if he could exorcise the buzz. So this morning I took a little break from my office and ran my Guild over to him. Within 5 minutes he said the issue is the fret height at 12 and 15. I didn't leave my guitar with him today to fix but I will be dropping it off to him soon.

Then Dennis asked if I would like to play a couple of his guitars. I said that would be very nice. First he pulled out the mahogany/cedar build that was highlighted in his latest build thread on this forum. I was initially amazed at how light it was, then amazed at how comfortable the neck was and finally at the sound. And, the finish was impeccible too! I am not crazy about cedar but it did sound very nice. Next he pulled out his personal guitar...a brazilan/spruce small jumbo with some of the nicest inlay work I have seen on a guitar. This guitar was definitely heavier than the first I tried and the neck was slightly thicker too. I've only been playing for about 15 years but I have tried out many guitars over this period. I will say that the neck shape on this model was the most comfortable for my hand size that I have ever played. And yes, if you are wondering, it sounded amazing also.

We chatted for a while about the different types of woods available and how the tonal characteristics of each top and bottom/side combinations are different. It is a science and I was feeling a little overwhealmed and slightly embarassed by what I quickly realized was my very poor understanding of what gives each guitar its own sound.

I have had my heart and mind set on a particular Taylor in the event that my bank account (and my wife) allows me to spend the money on such a luxury. However, after spending time with Dennis this morning and seeing the passion he shares about, and in, his guitars has me rethinking my future purchase direction.

Dennis, thank you very much for spending your time this morning discussing my current guitar set-up needs and also your own craftmanship.

Dave

Last edited by rondeauboy; 01-03-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I've seen that build thread a while back. Some great pics. I've also been to Dennis' web site many times and was tempted when he offered his discount last month for new builds. However, I'm living in eastern Canada (New Brunswick) and I've never personally seen one of his guitars. I wish I had the opportunity to play one.

I'm glad to hear that Dennis is getting positive feedback on this forum. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Dennis was a really friendly guy when I talked to him early last year. I've been impressed by the look of his guitars for quite some time, though I do wish the photos on his site were a bit larger.

I would love to play one of his guitars one of these days to hear the sound first-hand. His small jumbo looks pretty tasty.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Sounds like a great day out of the office and perhaps a chance to commission a custom? Don't feel embarrassed about your guitar knowledge, there is always someone who knows more about a specific subject than somebody else and it's always fun to learn something new.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeauboy View Post
I have had my heart and mind set on a particular Taylor in the event that my bank account (and my wife) allows me to spend the money on such a luxury. However, after spending time with Dennis this morning and seeing the passion he shares about, and in, his guitars has me rethinking my future purchase direction.
I wouldn't think it over for a second......save and build my friend. Having such a nice guy and great builder so close would be incredibly cool.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

I have never met Dennis, but in my numerous conversations with him, he has always been quite helpful, friendly and patient. His work that I have seen is beautiful.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeauboy View Post
Howdy all! I am fairly new to the AGF and totally new to the whole luthier built made-to-order guitars scene. Anyways, I live and work in Chatham-Kent in southwestern Ontario...the same place that Dennis calls home. In fact, we both grew up on the same street just a few blocks apart. I first met Dennis and his work at a local woodworking show about 15 years ago, at which, I became very impressed by his guitar building skills. However, back then, I didn't know the difference between a Martin and a Sears special, let alone either to a Kwasnycia. Our paths have not crossed since that time until today.

Fast forward to now...one of my guitars was buzzing a little as I moved up the fret, so after reading on this forum all about proper "set-up" I gave Dennis a call to see if he could exorcise the buzz. So this morning I took a little break from my office and ran my Guild over to him. Within 5 minutes he said the issue is the fret height at 12 and 15. I didn't leave my guitar with him today to fix but I will be dropping it off to him soon.

Then Dennis asked if I would like to play a couple of his guitars. I said that would be very nice. First he pulled out the mahogany/cedar build that was highlighted in his latest build thread on this forum. I was initially amazed at how light it was, then amazed at how comfortable the neck was and finally at the sound. And, the finish was impeccible too! I am not crazy about cedar but it did sound very nice. Next he pulled out his personal guitar...a brazilan/spruce small jumbo with some of the nicest inlay work I have seen on a guitar. This guitar was definitely heavier than the first I tried and the neck was slightly thicker too. I've only been playing for about 15 years but I have tried out many guitars over this period. I will say that the neck shape on this model was the most comfortable for my hand size that I have ever played. And yes, if you are wondering, it sounded amazing also.

We chatted for a while about the different types of woods available and how the tonal characteristics of each top and bottom/side combinations are different. It is a science and I was feeling a little overwhealmed and slightly embarassed by what I quickly realized was my very poor understanding of what gives each guitar its own sound.

Dennis, thank you very much for spending your time this morning discussing my current guitar set-up needs and also your own craftmanship.

Dave
Thanks Dave!
I had a great time today chatting about my passion (guitars). Don't feel embarrassed about the subject of tone and wood combos, No one is !00% on this subject.
Look forward to fixing your Guild for ya!

Thanks, everyone for your kind words!
I will admit that I don't have many guitars In Eastern Canada, sorry about that Dru, Maybe we can change that and get one to you some day
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM

i had the pleasure of sitting next to Dennis at last years montreal guitar show, and i can't say enough good things about him or his guitars. Such a great guy, very knowledgeable and he also gave a young aspiring luthier a lot of advice and wasn't afraid to talk shop with me. You should definitely have Dennis build you a guitar and support your local luthier!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post
i had the pleasure of sitting next to Dennis at last years montreal guitar show, and i can't say enough good things about him or his guitars. Such a great guy, very knowledgeable and he also gave a young aspiring luthier a lot of advice and wasn't afraid to talk shop with me. You should definitely have Dennis build you a guitar and support your local luthier!
Thanks Brad, You have some pretty nice stuff as well. Keep up the great work, Im going to miss the Montreal guitar show this year and being next to quality people like your self and your wife made my time there really great!
Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop