The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2021, 06:46 AM

Default NBA Playoffs 2021

Anyone following the NBA playoffs? I can't believe that Golden State is already out. Lost both games of the play in.

Do you like the play in format? I don't mind have the extra teams seeded 9-10 play in but I don't like seeing teams seeded 7-8 having to play in. I guess given you need an even # of teams to start the playoffs you couldn't just have 9-10 with play in. Your thoughts?
Old 05-22-2021, 09:16 AM

I like the play in. Anything that keeps more teams relevant longer and gives us more meaningful games is, IMO a good thing. I know people have bemoaned the rise of super teams, but it feels like at least 5 teams have a legit shot at winning the championship this year, again, IMO, a good thing.

Go Lakers!
Old 05-22-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

...not a fan of the play in....there is so much basketball to be played with the sixteen teams that ended up with the 16 best records it seems ridiculous to add another six games that deprive the play in teams of the rest that the 1 through 6 teams get...

....against the odds the Blazers come in as one of the hottest teams in the west...and they’re healthy for a change....still...Jokic is the mvp and will be on a mission so I reckon it’s gonna be a heck of a series....
Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 AM

I don’t watch it anymore.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-24-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don’t watch it anymore.

...that’s too bad...I can’t remember there being this much parity in the NBA ever....it makes for some great competitive basketball...and the current players are crazy good....it might be a good time to start watching again...
Old 05-24-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...that’s too bad...I can’t remember there being this much parity in the NBA ever....it makes for some great competitive basketball...and the current players are crazy good....it might be a good time to start watching again...
Basketball has been my favorite sport to watch since I was 8 or 9. And I played all the time until I was around 30, when I stopped being able to play enough to stay in shape for it. I love the game and still watch it a lot. I think a lot of people don't watch various pro sports anymore for political reasons - oh well, their loss...

And this year has some great matchups. I'm a Sixer fan and I think they have a shot - Doc figured out how to get this team close to their potential and Morely brought in the right complementary guys to fill out the lineup. They SHOULD have clear sailing to the conference finals, in which either Milwaukee or the Nets should be a very very stiff challenge. I think they match up better agains the Nets just because the Nets shouldn't be able to contain Embid, although whether anyone can score with that threesome is still doubtful. Milwaukee has that freak in the middle to keep Embid good and busy, though, so they scare me more.

The West is bizarre with SLC, Phoenix, and Denver seeded 1-2-3, the Lakers 7th, and Golden State sitting at home. Sounds like the high altitude games. I don't see that much of those teams during the regular season, so I'll have to catch up with them now in the playoffs.

I'm always pulling for the Sixers, but I'll be watching regardless. I thought Miami was incredibly fun to watch last year - they were overmatched in the finals, but they were still a blast.

-Ray
Old 05-24-2021, 02:03 PM

Toronto didn't make it so I would have been rooting for them.

Any chance the Lakers and Clippers will make it to play a series? That was the biggest disappointment last year that the Clippers were upset and didn't play the Lakers in the Conf finals (LeBron vs Kawhi).
Old 05-24-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
These days, about the only basketball I could tolerate watching is high school level on down.
Can’t get with the players and their current lack of humility and all the antics.
It’s not for me. It’s gotten ugly. Different generation, I guess.
The other pro sports will soon go on my “don’t care to watch list” as well as they continue to deteriorate to those levels...and they are.
YMMV and enjoy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2021, 12:41 PM

Wow! The Clippers are off to their first Conference Finals ever. I wish Kawhi Leonard wasn't hurt. He did an amazing job with Toronto a couple of years ago to win it all.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
These days, about the only basketball I could tolerate watching is high school level on down.
Can’t get with the players and their current lack of humility and all the antics.
It’s not for me. It’s gotten ugly. Different generation, I guess.
The other pro sports will soon go on my “don’t care to watch list” as well as they continue to deteriorate to those levels...and they are.
YMMV and enjoy.
I agree. I find professional basketball unwatchable.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Arrow

Are you guys talking about bringing attention to social issues? If so, I don't see why that's a problem.

Anyhow, I sometimes find today's basketball hard to watch (but I watch anyhow) is because not many actually know how to play correctly. They'll pass up wide open layups to kick out for a contested 3 all the time and it drives me nuts.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-22-2021, 02:35 PM

Wow - the 76ers lose to the Hawks. It's the Hawks' 2nd trip to the Conference Finals in 50 years! And then we have the Clippers in the west with their first appearance ever. I hope one of these teams wins it all.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:36 PM

The Hawks are getting impressive road wins... and I guess without home court advantage, they have no choice but to go for it... They've been the underdog in every game I think... I haven't watched much in recent years, but kinda drawn in lately... Young is fun to watch and difficult to defend... Huerter saved the day in game 7, played like his red hair was on fire... Young team, lacking playoff experience but learning as they go...
Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM

I really like that whichever team wins the championship will be a team that hasn't won since the NBA/ABA merger. I'm a Celtics fan, so obviously have not problem with the marquee teams of the league, but it's cool that some other franchise will get the hardware this time around. It seems like Chris Paul, Devin Booker, and the Suns are the team of destiny, but Trae Young has been a revelation, Giannis is a monster, and PG13 can do it all, so it'll be fun to see.

As for the people complaining about NBA ball, I have my quibbles about how the game is officiated (I hate how much offensive players get rewarded for creating contact) but man, the skill level even compared to the NBA a decade ago is nuts. I can't watch non-NBA ball because the lack of shooting drives me nuts. NCAA ball is so stagnant in comparison.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 06-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

….will be pulling for Phoenix from here on out….but Atlanta is a great story too…total bummer that Kawhi Leonard is out….

Last edited by J Patrick; 06-22-2021 at 05:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic