The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2021, 09:44 AM

Default Why does my Taylor 114e sound bad now?

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread.

I've got a 2014 Taylor 114e. I've held onto it through the years and even kept it and sold off some more expensive solid-wood Taylors because after some real nitty gritty sound tests, the others didn't seem all that much better than the 114.

Now, though, it sounds....not great. I would describe it as distorted and way more brash and boxy than usual. This is with both old and new strings. I keep it in its case when not being played. Since it's laminate back/sides I have not had a Humidipak in there, I fear that may have been a bad mistake.

I am a heavy strummer and have played this guitar pretty hard. Could a brace have popped up or something?

It's my "take-around" guitar, but lately with this sound I've been playing it less and less. Anyone have any ideas? Or has it maybe always been like that and I've only started noticing it now?
Old 06-18-2021, 09:50 AM

I suspect no one can diagnose the problem remotely. Humidity is the biggest killer of a guitar's sound and much more likely that a defective brace.

Have you got any frets that are buzzing that weren't a while back, that may be a sign that the neck has backbowed slightly, common if the humidity drops.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Humidity is often the culprit for bad sound.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
I would describe it as distorted and way more brash and boxy than usual.
Distorted and brash make it sound like it could be a brace issue. It can definitely cause a distorted tone. Try tapping around on the top and see if you hear any rattles.

Could also be that the relief has changed a bit, and you could be getting a bit of rattle of the strings on the frets.

What kind of distortion are you hearing, can you describe it?

Certainly humidity is often the culprit in changes in tone. What's the humidity like where you are? This time of year the change I hear in my guitars is that the sound a bit more muffled and less lively because the humidity is high.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-19-2021, 07:38 AM

Something like that most likely has to be dealt with in person. Take it to a good guitar tech.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair