The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 AM

Default 1957 Martin 0-15 or New Martin 0-18

Hi =)

I always wanted a (vintage) Martin 0-15 and recently found a beautiful 1957 0-15 which I could acquire for around 3700 €. I played it in the shop and really liked it,
It has the usual playing marks etc but plays amazing, is light as a feather and recently got a neck reset as well new frets so its perfectly playable and future proof.

As its quite pricey I am also looking for alternatives and im considering buying a new Martin 0-18 which costs "only" about 2500 €.

Now I would like to hear some opinions on if it is worth the extra to buy the vintage martin (price stability, quality etc) or is it too expensive for what it is? ( I know thats really a personal decision in the end)

Should I just stick with the new martin 0-18 including warranty and all the other perks of buying new....?

thank you so much
Old 02-25-2020, 05:53 AM

You’ve always wanted a vintage 0-15. You have one that you can play and enjoy. You seem to be able to afford the one being sold (you could also always offer a price that feels better to you). Say you get it home, enjoy it for a while, but really want that 0-18... You could sell the 0-15, take a hit off of the retail you paid, and still have enough for the 0-18. So, is that cash difference worth the opportunity to own what you’ve always wanted? Consider the price difference a “rental fee”. The longer you keep it, the more it pays off.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Buying a vintage guitar is more than just buying an instrument. It’s buying history and a piece of art. However, buying the new 0-18 will probably give you a better sounding and easier to play guitar.
I don’t think you would bring your vintage Martin to play your local pub. But a 0-18 is such an easy and incredibly good sounding guitar to play live.
Depends what you’re looking for. I was on the market for a Vintage Martin but finally bought a 0-18 as my main guitar to replace my HD28.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 AM

First, the most obvious distinction.

The vintage 0-17 has a mahogany top, while the new 0-18 has Sitka. Apples and oranges different, in terms of tone.

Second, the 0-17 is straight-braced, while the 0-18 is scalloped. Apples to oranges.

Third, the 0-17 was made in a shop environment, carved by hand, and assembled with hide glue, back when Martin was producing far fewer instruments than the factory CNC environment of today. Not that one method is “better” than the other, but they are distinctly different.

Play both if you can and then decide.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 AM

I have had a new 0-18 for about a year , and while I love it, I would trade it for a '57 0-15 in a heartbeat. My 0-18 sounds "new" and may not get broken in for years. I also love the depth and warmth of older mahogany-topped guitars.

In short, the 0-15 has had all the things necessary things needed for 50+ more years of playing, the new 0-18 is a fine guitar but is some years away from the "mojo" of the older guitar.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 AM

Sorry to put this out there, but that seems... quite high for a late 50s all hog Martin unless it's in absolutely immaculate condition.

I was recently on the hunt for wartime (early 40s) 0-17/00-17 and as least here in the states it wasn't super hard to find one in nice player grade, recently serviced condition for less than $3k, sometimes closer to $2k USD. Heck, just taking a quick look at Reverb I found a pretty nice '34 0-17 for only $3300 with one repaired crack, original finish (https://reverb.com/item/27665799-1934-martin-0-17), which is about ~3k euro. That's a freakin' pre-war Martin for less...

Last edited by brandall10; 02-25-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
Sorry to put this out there, but that seems... quite high for a late 50s 0-15 unless it's in absolutely immaculate condition.

I was recently on the hunt for wartime 0-17/00-17 and as least here in the states it wasn't super hard to find one in nice player grade condition for less than $3k, sometimes closer to $2k.
Hi! Yes i am actually thinking this as well as i was looking around to look at other offers which are mainly in the US tho. I thought that maybe the prices in the last years surged a lot and the price is high because its sold in Paris , Europe but maybe i would overpay a lot...
Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

If you can't afford both, buy the new one.

Yamaha FG-150 steel string
Martin OM-35
Martin HD-35
Raimondo 3/4 Classical
Hirade Classical
Traphagen Classical
Gitane Grande Bouche
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbach View Post
Hi! Yes i am actually thinking this as well as i was looking around to look at other offers which are mainly in the US tho. I thought that maybe the prices in the last years surged a lot and the price is high because its sold in Paris , Europe but maybe i would overpay a lot...
With Martin prices go down somewhat evenly over time, at least looking at 'periods' (most 50s guitars are going to be at a similar pricepoint, which is going to be less than late 40s guitars but more than early 60s guitars). There are rare exceptions, for instance "mystery top" spruce guitars in '53 or the late 50s, but for the most part, the older the more valuable, and in the case of wartime and pre-war, significantly more valuable.

I'm sure what you're seeing is the lack of local availability, but I think if you were to open up your search to much of Europe you'd find a market somewhat closer to the US.

Given that the 0-18 is a much better deal. They sell MAP for $2500 in the states, so not much less than you're seeing locally.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Compare the two and decide. You know what you have in the 1957, and can consider if the new 0-18 is on the same level, or will need 63 more years to develop. There can be something really special about the sound of a vintage guitar, but unfortunately the rarity and collectible aspect has driven prices beyond what most can afford. When one comes around that’s within your budget, and the sound and playability captivates and inspires you, it can enhance your life in a wonderful way.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-25-2020, 10:30 AM

A vintage 0-17 has a Brazilian rosewood bridge and fretboard.

All CITES rules apply when purchasing one in the US to have shipped to Europe.

From th U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

"The E.U. includes Brazilian rosewood in Annex A, which means that pre-Convention specimens
generally may not be imported into the E.U. for commercial purposes. The only exemptions
provided by the E.U. for the import of Brazilian rosewood specimens for commercial purposes
are for worked specimens acquired before March 1, 1947, and for specimens reintroduced into
the E.U. The import of any items containing Brazilian rosewood into the E.U. requires the prior
issuance of an import permit by the CITES Management Authority of the importing country.
Although the United States may issue a CITES document for the export of CITES-listed species,
we strongly advise that exporters always consult with the Management Authority of the
importing country to determine the import requirements. A list of CITES national contacts can
be found at http://www.cites.org/cms/index.php/l.../component/cp/. "

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
A vintage 0-17 has a Brazilian rosewood bridge and fretboard.

All CITES rules apply when purchasing one in the US to have shipped to Europe.

From th U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

"The E.U. includes Brazilian rosewood in Annex A, which means that pre-Convention specimens
generally may not be imported into the E.U. for commercial purposes. The only exemptions
provided by the E.U. for the import of Brazilian rosewood specimens for commercial purposes
are for worked specimens acquired before March 1, 1947, and for specimens reintroduced into
the E.U. The import of any items containing Brazilian rosewood into the E.U. requires the prior
issuance of an import permit by the CITES Management Authority of the importing country.
Although the United States may issue a CITES document for the export of CITES-listed species,
we strongly advise that exporters always consult with the Management Authority of the
importing country to determine the import requirements. A list of CITES national contacts can
be found at http://www.cites.org/cms/index.php/l.../component/cp/. "
I though musical instruments were excluded with the last cites update.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
0-18, guitar, martin 0-15, vintage