The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM

What makes something a Parlor guitar? Just the size?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
What makes something a Parlor guitar? Just the size?
There's no definition. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=168021
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM

QuiltingShirley, From your handle I take it you work with needles. Be careful, you need your fingers in good shape for this art form Yes, the parlor is a smaller body guitar. Larger sizes are newer ( in the last 70 years or so ) improvement ( body style, maybe not improved to some people), to the guitar line. More volume to be heard in groups over the smaller more intimate voice of the parlor. Lots of love for parlors on this site. Smaller body is more comfortable to play. Some styles of music sound better in it because of the smaller voice. Just like in the quilting world most folks never heard of Phaff or Husqvarna machines, but once you use one, you understand the difference. Same with parlors. Other will chime in I'm sure with more info.

Last edited by GHS; 09-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

some parlor guitars sound great strummed. in my personal opinion, the ami is not one of them. the blueridge parlors sound good strummed, a lot of larrivee parlors sound good strummed, some small martins sound good strummed, the santa cruz firefly sounds purty strummed, and yes, the GS mini also sounds good strummed.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. The name "parlor guitar" seems to be rather subjective. Yes, quilting does involve getting a needle hitting your finger but that doesn't hurt nearly as much as these strings do on my new guitar. (I just started this about a week ago and I was thinking maybe parlor meant something softer, like the ukulele nylon and covered wound strings that I used to think hurt.)

This forum has been great answering my questions. Can you send some talent my way? That would help the most.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 PM

I have a parlour guitar that Harv built for me, shown here with my favorite roadie setting me up:

It can best be described as a Martin "0" size instrument.

I once spent the evening in the middle of a jam session playing fills and strums and a few songs all evening on that guitar. Surrounded by a banjo, Martin and Guild dreads, an electric player, a harmonica, and a few various other instruments (drums and mandos, etc).

Later in the evening one of the guitar players remarked that he had been able to easily hear everything I'd played. I asked him if it would be cool to have a guitar that anyone could hear justfine and you could also bring it to the jam on your motorcycle. He said "yeah!".

So I folded it up and left.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 PM

depends on the parlor. i've owned three. two were not very good for my strumming style, and one, a Froggy, was quite good at it. a generalization would be to say that small guitars, like 0's and 00's, are woody sounding and articulate, especially good for fingerstyle blues and ragtime. but its not always the case (as others have said).

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
Hey guys. I am thinking about checking out a parlor size guitar (Art and Lutherie Ami) and I'm wondering whether or not it is a decent guitar to flat pick? I like to play modern and classic rock. I don't strum too heavy, but not that lightly either. I want a good guitar to travel with that I don't have to worry about. Thanks

- Scott
Scott...

The Ami will handle anything you can throw at it...

Here's an example (not me); listen all the way through for style changes (some weirdness at very end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7LRoKyQCOk

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM

Larrivee parlors are awesome
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 AM

Smaller bodies can be great for strumming. My OM28v is the best strumming guitar I have ever played. I prefer it over the HD28.

The GS Mini is also a great one. Mine has been removed from the 00 size guitar of the house in favor of a Recording King RNJ-26.

RK has others in the line. They are Nick Lukas style with 13 frets to the body, 00 size body but with dread depth, and a full scale neck( unlike the GS Mini). Nick Lukas was a picker. It was designed for picking and strumming.

The Mini is nice but the RK is a big step up.

Last edited by Wuchak; 09-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Default Ap70?

Those of you with an Alvarez AP70, what would you say about how it sounds strummed? It is on my short list but I have yet to find one to try.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

About half of my customers ask their parlor to be setup for strumming so I consider how best the feel, fit and tone works for you.
ON that note, I recently played a Taylor GS mini, all-hog, and was extremely impressed with its versatility.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
About half of my customers ask their parlor to be setup for strumming so I consider how best the feel, fit and tone works for you.
ON that note, I recently played a Taylor GS mini, all-hog, and was extremely impressed with its versatility.
I've purchased a couple of fine guitars from Steve and have used them when I wanted to play some 'old timey' music. Many of those musicians from years ago produced some great music when strumming those Regals, Harmony and Stella parlor sized guitars.

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks Diamond, yes laminate back and sides are less prone to effects of humidity, temperature. Thanks for your insight..
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM

You can strum it but don't expect to be a dread...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, art and lutherie, guitar, parlor, strum