The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Default Nut width too small??

Hey guys. My question actually has to do with electric guitar. I'm basically still a beginner playing on my brother's Pacifica 311H. The nut width seems pretty tiny. I think it's about 40-41mm. I'm finding that when I play certain chords, my chubby fingers are muting a string or two in the process. I'm thinking of going to the guitar shop to look for an electric with a wider nut width. Do you think the problem is my lack of experience or that the nut width is actually too small for me? Will I be able to easily play chords without muting strings with more practice? Thanks!!

- Scott
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM

As a beginner, you may have problems playing chords cleanly even with an adequate nut width. That will resolve with practice.

However, 40-41 mm is pretty darn narrow and could be frustrating. I would try to find something with a nut width of at least a couple more millimeters.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Electric guitars generally have narrower neck widths than acoustic guitars. 41mm width at the nut is fairly standard on most electrics.

To get a wider neck you could try an acoustic (or electro-acoustic) guitar. These generally have necks of 43mm to 45mm at the nut (although some makes have wider necks).
Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Vintage Fender width is 1 5/8" or about 41mm. Too narrow for my fingers, too. I prefer the modern 1 11/16" (about 43mm) width on newer Fender and Gibson type guitars. Sounds like a good excuse to go spend an afternoon at the music store to me.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have never "bonded" with an electric guitar, although I currently have one - an Eastman AR805e with a 1 & 3/4" wide neck -(44 m/m) this is not wide enough for me on acoustic.

I have smallish hands with short fingers but very fat/flat fingertips and had lots of trouble fluffing chords, hammer ons, pull-offs until I was shown a n acoustic guitar with a 1 &7/8" nut width (A Martin D35-S). I have since settled on Collings 12 fret guitars with 1 & 13/16" wide nuts which are perfect for me but I have no problem with 1 & 7/8" - BUT lots of probs with a 1 & 11/16" (43 m/m) - which due to a hiccup in acoustic guitar design in the '30s is now regarded as standard.

electric guitarists may have less trouble with skinny necks because they will have lower action, skinny little strings, and spend much of their time playing partial or "power" chords and playing lead lines.

Acoustic guitar styles are somewhat more complex, and need a more helpful neck width.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Tough to find a "normal" production solid body with anything bigger than 43mm. The Ibanez Wizard necks (found in hard rock/metal type Ibanez guitars like the RG series) has a 43mm nut width, but the radius of the neck and fretboard is huge. It is very flat and your hands can move around it well so that you can position it easier for a cleaner played chord. Unfortunately, playing fingerstyle on a "shredder" guitar may not sound so great though..... but they are well known for having some of the most comfortable necks out there. Maybe you should look into one.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM

I had a Pacifica & found it impossible to play some chords cleanly. I measured the nut at 40.5 mm. I wear 3XL gloves. I bought it online not knowing the width. My Ibanez is 43 & that extra 2.5 mm made all the difference.
Yamaha GL1
Ibanez RG321 MH
Olympia OP-2 12 fret parlor
Danelectro 12 string
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I had a Rickenbacker 330 and although I was totally in love with it and its vibe, even my small hands could not make chords ring. Selling it and getting a Martin acoustic was the best thing that I have ever done and I have renewed my progress, such as it is

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 AM

kamikaze,
Take a closer look at the neck width, the nut width and the string spacing at the nut of your guitar. Perhaps there is room on the neck to have a new nut installed with wider string spacing at the nut. I had this done on an electric that I own and was able to increase the string spacing at the nut quite a bit.
Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, elixir, guitar, martin, taylor