The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Question Any good site for cheap parlor guitar?

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum, but it's just that I cannot put any post in the Buy/Sell section; so, I decided to ask a question here.

I'm really into delta blues, so I decided to buy a parlor guitar because my cigar box guitar seem to have its limit (I should have made a 4 stringed one...)

However, I'm only a student who does not have a wallet as thick as some forum members' ones.

So I would like to know if there's any site which sells (even used) parlor guitar for less than $100. When I say cheap parlor guitar, I mean it cheap

I don't really care about the material or ornamentation of the guitar. As long as it's sturdy, durable, without critical damage and sounds decent, I'll buy it. I don't think Charley Patton or other early blues artists had that much of money to buy nice guitars like Martin's.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM

For that price? Ebay.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Actually, where in Michigan are you? I just saw a small Stella and a couple of other little old guitars at Fast Eddie's in Ypsilanti. I didn't see a price on the Stella but one old guitar was for around $50. I bet the Stella would go for less than $100. Check it out.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM

I played a Fender Squier SP1 12 fret parlor at Guitar Center and was suprised that it had decent tone and playability for $99

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Oh really? I didn't know there was a music store in Ypsi, because here in Ann Arbor, the only store is Herb David Guitar Studio! I should definitely check that place out
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM

for $100 you usually get a slide guitar (old plywood guitar with very high action) or a nicer guitar that needs lots of work.
Of course if that is what you are after (bottleneck slide box), you should have no trouble finding one.
If you are in Ann Arbor put a 'wanted' ad on the musical instrument listing on Craigslist. YOu never know what might come out (cheap) from the dust bunnies of someone's attic.
Otherwise, save your $$ and check out Vintage Parlor Guitars
http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html
Some very good deals there on (mostly) refurbished guitars.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I have a Stella from the late 50's that is in very good playing condition with no cracks and sounds great with a slide. I would sell it to you for $100 including shipping.

If you are interested, email me directly at [email protected].

Mitch
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Default Any good site for cheap parlor guitar?

MichiganBlues, please be very, very careful in your quest. I believe I know where you are coming financially. I'm on a limited income and if I make a mistake I and my wife suffer.

Glad to see you aren't fussy about the fancy stuff, but you should be more thoughtful about the materials.

Twenty or more years ago laminated guitars were poorly constructed and sounded like crap. Today, that's not such a problem. However, there is a downside to it (that you can live with) and that is in most cases laminated guitars don't mellow or open up with age.

There is something else you should keep in mind. In the days of Charley Patton and other early blues artists materials (like cedar and birch) for musical instruments were a lot cheaper back then in comparison with today. In fact, there were other companies back then that made guitars as good as Martin and Gibson, but probably cheaper.

If this isn't so I am sure others on this forum will correct me.

You mentioned sturdiness. I had a black and sun burst Stella Harmony made in the late sixties and probably was made of oak that was very sturdy. So sturdy that you could break someone's head open with it and not even scratch it. This sturdy guitar was hard to tune, hard to play, and hard to listen to. It was the worst guitar I ever had.

I would suggest that you take another guitar player or a friend with you that is picky. This will help you to keep focus and may keep you from impulse buying. Sometimes guitars may sound and feel differently when you get them home and that is not always good.

Some music stores and pawn shops may have a lay-a-way plan. Let's say you see a guitar you really like, but it cost $150. Assuming you have a $100 with you you put that down and come back three or four weeks later and put down $25 (or maybe $50 if you are lucky). This will take longer, but you will be happier in the long run. Some places will even extend your time to pay if they see you are on time and paying what is due. Do not offer to make deal you have doubts about backing up.

Lafayette
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganblues View Post
Oh really? I didn't know there was a music store in Ypsi, because here in Ann Arbor, the only store is Herb David Guitar Studio! I should definitely check that place out
There is also Music-Go-Round out near Target off of Ann Arbor-Saline Rd, on the right as you go over 94 heading towards Saline. They have used stuff and might have an older model close to that price range. It's worth a look. Fast Eddie's is on Michigan Avenue in downtown Ypsilanti, across the street from the library and B-24's (coffe shop).

Good luck in your search.
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
for $100 you usually get a slide guitar (old plywood guitar with very high action) or a nicer guitar that needs lots of work.
Of course if that is what you are after (bottleneck slide box), you should have no trouble finding one.
If you are in Ann Arbor put a 'wanted' ad on the musical instrument listing on Craigslist. YOu never know what might come out (cheap) from the dust bunnies of someone's attic.
Otherwise, save your $$ and check out Vintage Parlor Guitars
http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/current.html
Some very good deals there on (mostly) refurbished guitars.
+1
If you buy a $100 beater -- and it needs work -- you are going to be in this price range quickly (check out the parlors). And I doubt that you'll find a better one when it's all said and done.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Johnson has their all-laminate JG-420 parlor guitar for $100 and some change.

Although it's technically not a parlor guitar, the Hohner HW-03 is a 3/4 size beginning kids guitar that might be suitable for adults as well. About the same body size as a parlor, 1 3/4" nut, short scale, all laminate body, well under $100. It does have a screw-adjustable bridge saddle that supposedly kills tone and volume, but I suggest people play and/or listen to one and let their ears be the final judge.

Google the two models above and you'll find online reviews and videos that will help you decide.

spayzkadet
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

If I were you ... and I'm not which goes without saying .. I would save a few more $$$ and buy a brand new Recording King RP-06. Musician's Friend has them and they frequently have sales.. Around Christmas time I could have gotten one from them for under $200, so it isn't that far off your target. As has been mentioned, some of the old parlor guitars had really poor laminates and the finishes were non-existent.. But for slide blues... perhaps that's what you want.. Good hunting.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Craigslist. Yesterday I bought a nice clean used Art and Lutherie Amis parlor guitar from a local guy for $170, with a hard case. A bit more than your limit, I know, but all it needs is new strings and it's kinda pretty to boot. I've got a free Craigslist notification app on my Android phone. I have it search for "Guitar" and when any post with that word in it pops up it sends it to me. There's a lot of junk I'm not interested in with guitar in the post but a few gems get through. YMMV but it worked for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
If I were you ... and I'm not which goes without saying .. I would save a few more $$$ and buy a brand new Recording King RP-06. Musician's Friend has them and they frequently have sales.. Around Christmas time I could have gotten one from them for under $200, so it isn't that far off your target. As has been mentioned, some of the old parlor guitars had really poor laminates and the finishes were non-existent.. But for slide blues... perhaps that's what you want.. Good hunting.
I bought one of these yesterday at the local music store in Lynchburg, VA.
They had a pretty nice selection of parlors including Crafter.
This Recording King is 1 3/4" and had the best projection and balance. It's going to be my travel guitar. $180 without a case.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cheap, guitar, parlor