The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-08-2023, 08:34 AM

Default Spot Finish Repair

Looking for insight on two minor bumps on my Collings 001T.

The first is a small indentation on the top/back of the headstock that looks more white in person than the picture. I assume it’s the finish that makes it look that way as it is compressed against itself. A small indent can be felt by hand.

The other is near the end pin. This one feels flush with the surface but there is a tiny indentation in the finish with an even smaller green spot underneath the finish. What could be causing that?

I’m not thrown off by bumps and bruises on a guitar (in fact I admire them) but the slight discolouring of them does. No bueno on turning this into a DIY, I would have an experienced luthier attend to them and some questions that have with these is:

How fixable are they?
Is it a common repair for a luthier?
Too small of work to consider?
Cost to repair?

I appreciate any insight!
Old 08-08-2023, 09:18 AM

The "white" is where the finish has broken its bond with the wood below. I don't know what finish Collings uses on their necks, but if its nitro lacquer, a miniscule amount of acetone from a microtip can melt the finish back to the wood. This is NOT a job for an amateur however, as acetone and nitro on a finished instrument is a recipe for disaster in inexperience hands. Best left to a seasoned professional.

The spot by the endpin is a small lacquer chip. It could be pretty easily filled with clear nail polish. Leveling and polishing the fill is more involved.

Considering how meticulous Collings is about fit and finish and how they hold their value, I would either pay a professional $$$ to make invisible finish repairs of just leave them be.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 08-08-2023, 10:33 AM

Thanks Roy, that’s exactly where my head is at.

I do live close to Folkway Music so it seems like the kind of repair to bring to them attached to a bigger piece of work when needed, which will be a long ways off.

Is the green under the finish a concern?
Old 08-09-2023, 10:30 AM

I don't see any "green" in the photo. What I see is a small area where the finish has delaminated from the wood. I believe Collings uses a polyester base coat and then a nitrocellulose lacquer finish above the polyester. I am not totally certain about this tho'. Regardless, the finish can be fixed since it is nitro and usually this repair can be done very effectively.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:41 PM

Collings does use a UV cured polyester base coat with nitrocellulose lacquer on top. The bond between the two is strictly mechanical, and does present the possibility of delamination.

Last edited by John Arnold; 08-10-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:13 PM

I appreciate the feedback fellas!
Old 08-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Having repaired hundreds of these, pretty confident the issue is not between the nitro and poly but between the poly and wood.

Once uv cured poly seperates from the wood it goes a shade of white, superglue actually works really well injected into the gap
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-10-2023, 06:11 PM

There’s no UV poly on the older traditional series just nitro coatings. The area by the end pin appears to be a slight delamination from the sealer or paste fill. Similar to the peghead blemish

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair