The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Tuning Key "Slips" or "Jumps"

Firstly, I apologize if this is a question that has already been answered. I ran a search but came back with very general matches to the "tuning" word in my issue.

I have a Washburn WD15 SCE. I bought the guitar back in March of this year. Earlier this week I was tuning down to "Drop D" when I broke my D string. I figured since the strings were the ones on the guitar when it was unboxed I would change the strings. I had bought a pack of Darddario Extra Light strings (recommended by the sales guy as I am new player).

Well, the E, A and D strings changed without too much trouble (first time I've even changed guitar strings period). Then the G string (4th form the top) and the tuning key "skipping" or "jumping". What I mean is this: I changed the string followign the procedure I used for the first three strings. Then with the G string I would begin tightening and when I began tuning I would reach a point when the tuning key would "slip" or "jump". The string would make a snap or pop noise and then I'd be back 4 or 5 notes down.

I would turn the key, and get so far before then snap/pop and then Id be back at the beginning again. I tried restringing again, leaving much more slack on the string thinking maybe I was pulling it too tight at first but still the same problem, even with the string at low tension.

So, is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there a problem with the tunig key? Do I need to find a tech to look at this or is it something I can correct?

Thanks in adfvance for any help and replies.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Sometimes the string isn't fully seated under the bridge and as you tighten it "jumps" up. Try pulling firmly on the string at the bridge and making sure the bridge pin is fully seated. Sometimes you may have to do this a couple times. After awhile you will learn to do this when you first put the pin in. The only other possiblility I can think of is that the string is moving on the saddle, the nut, or you didn't get a good "bite" around the tuning peg.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the reply BJ. I'm a bit miffed at this whole situation. My time to be able to practice is rare as it is, so to lose even more time cause of this problem (most likely caused by myself changing strings for the first time) is just frustrating. Add in the fact that the guitar is a Washburn but I live outside Milan and bought it over here, and well, it's not like there are a bunch of Washburn certified techs nearby.

I was up really late last night trying to read up a bit on this. I now doubt the problem is with the tuning key itself and is more than likely my stringing "technique" or complete lack of one.

I'm going to try starting from scratch. It just sucks cause I'll have to wait until Monday to pick up another pack of new strings. I lost the high E last night when I figured I'd finish in general and it broke while trying to tune it.

Oh well. I hope I can work this out. I wanna get back to playing and learning.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Just remembered that Taylor has a great "how to string your guitar" section on their website.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks. I followed the process from fretnotguitarrepair. Unfortunately, checking the string seating at the bridge, pulling on the string to seat it better, checking the pin and the nut did no good. No matter what I try, as I turn the tuning key to set tension, the peg very clearly jumps and will not tighten further. It is actually now worse than before. I think Im going to need a tech to look at it. Which sucks cause it's just going to mean time without the guitar and time not being able to play.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:05 PM

Sounds like the worm gear mechanism is slipping. Get your local music store to look at it and replace the offensive tuner if necessary.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCG Canada View Post
Sounds like the worm gear mechanism is slipping. Get your local music store to look at it and replace the offensive tuner if necessary.
My thoughts as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 AM

Thanks Guys. I'm resigning myself to the fact I'll probably have to get the guitar looked at by a tech. I just have to find out how it will work. The store I bought the guitar from does not do setup work so I'll have to find out from them how it would be serviced. I bought it only 4 months ago, and while I'm in Italy and the Washburn Lifetime guarantee probably won't help, I should still be covered by a 1 or 2 year gtd. I just have to find out how they handle these types of issues.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Cliffs of the resolution:
-took guitar back to store where it was purchased for the "Guitar Guy" , Carlos (he sold it to me) to look at
-advised he would contact assist center to see if they would deliver new parts (tuning keys) to the store; yes they did
-in Italy, I have a 2 year warranty with the guitar
-Carlos replaced all 6 tuning keys with new Grover keys
-he said sometimes (and this is something you all can verify) the grease inside probably dried out during shipping causing the gear to begin slipping. He said this is something that can happen at times.

So, issue is resolved; 6 new tuning keys installed and I have my guitar back.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 AM

Hey, A77Guy.

Glad to hear of the resolution to your issue! Thanks for posting the follow up.

Lacking grease wouldn't lead to quick deterioration of the worm gears to the point that it could cause slipping. Dry gears could, however, over a period of years, cause more metal-to-metal grinding and deterioration leading to loose gears. Slipping, in my experience, is nearly always caused by massive damage or deterioration of the structures that hold the two "axles" (ie: the string post and the tuner post).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair