The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Shoulder Pain

I have been playing a Taylor 712 for a long time but recently began playing a 1940's Gibson Banner J-45. I get pain in my right shoulder really quickly, I guess because the lower bout is so much larger (I guess it is "dreadnought" size).

Looking for hacks around this problem!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:19 PM

If you play seated, you can try using one of those small foot stools classical guitar players use. If you are right handed it forces you to place the guitar on the left leg and makes I far more comfortable to hold the neck higher - so long as you are not a flat picker the position, which only takes a little getting used to, is more comfortable and places your hand position much better AND helps with breathing and overall posture. Not much help if you stand and jam though.

I went to smaller bodied guitars - and believe me there are some outstanding ones out there. Good luck working through this, it is miserable. I had an outstanding vintage j-45 - but no more and for the same reason.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Go to a physician, and get a diagnosis and a referral for physical therapy. Don’t assume that shoulder pain is inevitable because you are playing a larger guitar, and don’t try to get a work around off the internet.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I suggest you go to the doctor and ask this question. I was playing my guitar fine, but in the morning I was waking up with terrible back pain that I finally attributed to being hunched over the guitar. I found a foot stool, found a special chair, tried to sit up straight, but the back pain kept getting worse. I'm old. I finally gave up and went to the doctor. He sent me to a physical therapist who said it wasn't my posture, it was my back muscles. So he did his thing and sent me home with some exercises to do with light weights and stretching. I actually do them with kelttebells. Over a few weeks time the back pain is gone and I feel more fit overall. I'm not saying that is the cure, I'm saying that instead of trying to diagnose yourself a visit to the doctor might save you a lot of pain and discomfort.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-30-2020, 03:57 PM

That sucks but is not uncommon. You don't play on the couch, do you?
Old 10-30-2020, 04:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Rocky

Prior to starting a guitar business, I was a physical therapist for 30 years. I appreciate the PT recommendations above!

You asked for a "hack" around. The first thing to try is to change your position and posture when you play. Shoulders tend to hurt with big guitars because they are placed in an "impingement" position for prolonged periods of time. This is where certain structures in the top of your shoulder get compressed and can become irritated and inflamed (I can get more technical, but you get the idea). You might try a more "classical" positioning, or even using a strap and play standing up. A supportive chair and good posture is a must.

A better, longer term solution for you is what others have recommended: see a medical doctor, get diagnosed, see a PT, and work on an exercise program to improve strength, flexibility and posture. The right program will allow you to play for many years without having to deal with that shoulder pain which, as you know, can really take the pleasure out of guitar playing. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi Rocky

Prior to starting a guitar business, I was a physical therapist for 30 years. I appreciate the PT recommendations above!

You asked for a "hack" around. The first thing to try is to change your position and posture when you play. Shoulders tend to hurt with big guitars because they are placed in an "impingement" position for prolonged periods of time. This is where certain structures in the top of your shoulder get compressed and can become irritated and inflamed (I can get more technical, but you get the idea). You might try a more "classical" positioning, or even using a strap and play standing up. A supportive chair and good posture is a must.

A better, longer term solution for you is what others have recommended: see a medical doctor, get diagnosed, see a PT, and work on an exercise program to improve strength, flexibility and posture. The right program will allow you to play for many years without having to deal with that shoulder pain which, as you know, can really take the pleasure out of guitar playing. Good luck!
+++1 What Organic Sound said!

I just retired from a 6 clinic PT corporation where I worked as the administrator for 17 years. I can attest to the value of and great outcomes from PT.

I have seen many patients go from total agony to physical bliss in a relatively short period of time. Of course, no two people are the same, so YMMV.

I injured my right shoulder, left wrist and neck from MX crashes back in the 70’s and never took proper care at the time (say young and stupid). Only if I had done PT then, I would not be limited to small body 12 fret guitars today.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 10-30-2020, 04:57 PM

A doctors visit is a good idea. I have arthritis in my right shoulder which for the past two years has made it difficult to play for any length of time. I found PT along with using a strap even though I play seated took the pressure off my shoulder and has allowed me to play longer. Although I have smaller bodied guitars I also have a Gibson WM45 which I’ve had for years and this has allowed me to continue to play it and eliminate the discomfort. Good luck.

Chris
Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 PM

Is it a muscle pain or a bone/joint pain? I have had a nasty muscle knot in my right shoulder for the past few years. It’s not near bones. It is all muscles. It was so bad I could not play guitar for more than a 10 minute stretch. My doctor could do something if it was bone related (i.e cortisone, scraping calcium off etc) but he can’t do anything with a all-muscle issue. So. I went for massages, physio, and some exercises to no avail. 2 months ago I went for Dry Needling with a really good Chiropractor. She did the procedure several times and gave me some specific exercises. She also did chiropractic adjustments. I have to say I’m near back to normal now. You might want to consider Dry Needling & Chiro as an option.

Dry Needling is the use of long thin needles inserted around the target area so as to trigger muscles into doing something other than what they are doing now (roughly speaking).

PS Note that (in my case anyway) computer and mouse work greatly aggravated the pain. I now do the “T-Rex” approach to mouse and keyboard usage and it helps a lot too. (That’s pretending to have very tiny, short arms - like T-Rex - when working with a mouse or keyboard. Stops excessive elongation of key muscles.)

Also note that many Physiotherapists practice Dry Needling. It doesn’t have to be a Chiropractor.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 PM

Yes, for the most part I am a couch picker.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 PM

I found myself in a similar situation about fifteen years ago. My orthopedist ordered a series of X-rays. The verdict was torn rotator cuff. Surgery followed followed by a lengthy rehab, but following that I have had no more problems with that shoulder. And, yes, I can do pushups.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I have recaptured my ability to play dreadnoughts this year due to PT and an exercise program to strengthen my shoulders and improve flexibility. The fact that I was home instead of at work gave me plenty of time to fit 15-minute sessions into the day. There are sounds you just can't get from a smaller guitar! I had mostly given up on playing larger guitars and sold off all but one :-(.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Dijohn View Post
Yes, for the most part I am a couch picker.
After playing on the couch for 20 years (or so) I can't do it anymore with a dread or even OM sized guitar. It's too uncomfortable on my shoulder.

How are you when you play the J-45 standing up with a strap? Or sitting on a stool?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Dijohn View Post
...I get pain in my right shoulder...
My right shoulder pain and restricted motion is constant. Probably bursitis. Fortunately I can still play my jumbos without a problem. But otherwise it is a problem. I'm thinking it's time to get in to the doc and get a shot of cortisone right into that shoulder. Worked like a miracle many years ago.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-31-2020, 09:43 AM

IMO there is no hack. Play a smaller guitar.

I got bad tendinitis from playing jumbos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion