The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 AM

This more of a question in the electric world, for me. Fenders, Gibson electrics have come and gone from my home often in the past. My Gibson and Martin acoustics always remain.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 AM

I live in bluegrass country, and I want to like Martin guitars so bad. I've tried a ton of them, and I've never been blown away. I really like Larrivee guitars too, but I hate their necks. Tried lots of them, but the neck is just too big and wide.

My hands and ears prefer a Taylor.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I live in bluegrass country, and I want to like Martin guitars so bad. I've tried a ton of them, and I've never been blown away. I really like Larrivee guitars too, but I hate their necks. Tried lots of them, but the neck is just too big and wide.

My hands and ears prefer a Taylor.
Taylor necks do feel amazing! I'm with you on larrivee. Something about the play ability just feels tight and not comfortable.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 AM

I cannot say I dislike any brand of guitar because I have not played all the different versions of all brands. The question might be better stated what types of guitars you don't care for. For me, I found that I really do not like guitars that are smaller than 000 or OM and I don't like bigger than a dreadnaught. I prefer C shape necks and MLO Martin necks. I like low tension and low action. I like to feel the deep tonal response against my body and the sweet smooth highs up the neck. I believe I could find many of these qualities in most brand of guitars if I picked up any given guitar on any given day. I like some Martins but I don't care for other Martins. Same for Taylor, Huss & Dalton, Gibson, etc. Brand has nothing to do with it...............for me.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Everything. Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Collings, Washburn, Bourgeois, Alvarez, Takamine, Larrivee, Avalon, Ovation - again, everything. Everything I don't have was bought then sold. It has NOTHING to do with the brand. It is guitar specific and shouldn't be confused with "I don't like that brand because I didn't like one or two of their guitars...." If everyone would purchase guitars they like, instead of jumping on "brands" they want to try, all would be more content with their purchases. These types of threads almost always get into, or too close to, brand bashing.
Has nothing to do with brand bashing. And I disagree, there are just some brands I've tried over and over, or tested them out...and none of the models worked out for the same reason (what's the definition of insanity? For example, I've never gotten used to the way Larrivee does their necks. They just aren't comfortable. Also there's just something about the tone that doesn't sound very dynamic to my ears. MY ears. Not YOUR ears. Maybe just a bit sterile (Collings I've played sound this way to my ears as well)? Again lots of fans of both of these makers and I know for a fact they build quality instruments.

For Martins it's been binding shrinkage issues and other various finish problems. Would be interesting to see if they ever came out with a full on bolt on neck/urethane prototype. I wonder if it would still have that Martin tone? I bet it would and I also bet they'd have a lot less warranty repairs!

Last edited by parlorpower82; 08-27-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 AM

I've never been able to bring a Gibson home. I love listening to a well-played Gibson, and I've had some great duets with Gibson players, but there's never been one in a music store that grabbed me by the threat and forced me to buy it.

I've been meaning, however, to take an L-00 for a test drive. Why not?
Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Everything. Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Collings, Washburn, Bourgeois, Alvarez, Takamine, Larrivee, Avalon, Ovation - again, everything. Everything I don't have was bought then sold. It has NOTHING to do with the brand. It is guitar specific and shouldn't be confused with "I don't like that brand because I didn't like one or two of their guitars...." If everyone would purchase guitars they like, instead of jumping on "brands" they want to try, all would be more content with their purchases. These types of threads almost always get into, or too close to, brand bashing.
I think this is very much true, and would emphasize again that with factory made instruments there are variations in touch performance between them. People frequently ask on this forum - which guitar should I buy? Answer: there is no substitute for experience - try them all and you will reach a stage of appreciation for individual instruments that speak to you regardless of brand.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Still figuring that out. I have had Martins that I did not like and sent them packing, but at the moment, I've got two that are keepers.

Can also say the same about a couple of the Collings that have passed through my hands

For me, however, it appears to me more of a body shape thing. I've tried several different OM's from various companies, and they have all been sent packing. I did purchase a 000 last week that I am awaiting to arrive. This was the first guitar of that body shape that I was able to play before the purchase and really liked the way it sounded and played in the store. Time will tell if it is a keeper.

D
Old 08-27-2019, 08:57 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Taylor. I’ve had six. Loved the looks, craftsmanship and playability. But the tone...not so much. And tone trumps everything for me. None of the Taylors have lasted more than a year in my herd.

I’m giving Taylor another try with my 317 Grand Pacific. It has a much more rounded tone than the other Taylors I’ve played. Have had it for three months and still don’t know if it’s a keeper. It’s largely a case queen these days because I just can’t put down my D-41...which is pretty much the give away that I’m a big time Martin guy at heart.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM

I'm really not loyal to brands. If a guitar has the specs, QC, and tone I need, then we get along. I'd play Gibson, Martin, or Taylor if I can get exactly what I want.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:01 AM

Nothing when it comes to brands.

However, I've owned and then had to sell a Martin 1937 D-18A and a 1937 D-28A w/VTS. Had to sell both because, despite their INCREDIBLE tone, my left hand just couldn't deal with the huge necks.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
For me, I've yet to find a Gibson that feels good to me. I don't know if it's the necks or the sound, they just haven't done much for me. Maybe I haven't tried a good one yet.
The differences in everyone is apparent. I am a lifelong Gibson fan, and not only for the sound, but especially for the feel. Lol...I love their necks, and that's the main reason I stick with them more than anything else. I suppose this helps the world go 'round.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Nothing when it comes to brands.

However, I've owned and then had to sell a Martin 1937 D-18A and a 1937 D-28A w/VTS. Had to sell both because, despite their INCREDIBLE tone, my left hand just couldn't deal with the huge necks.
I played a 1937 D-28 Authentic Aged model at NAMM and while it was the best sounding Martin I've ever heard or played, the neck felt like I was holding a 2x4! That's The only reason I'm not trying to figure out a way to sneak one in the house!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS.

I loved the tone.
I tried for a couple years, but could not adjust to the neck.
It became increasingly baseball-bat thick above the fifth fret.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM

I have never been in that situation, because if I don't love a guitar brand right away - in every respect - I won't buy it in the first place...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion