The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks guys. Kyle, the pin on the headstock is a field artillery insignia with the unit number above crossed cannons. It belonged to my friend's grandfather who retired as a colonel and was in WWII. As a matter of fact, this pin was worn by him during WWII.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
Thanks guys. Kyle, the pin on the headstock is a field artillery insignia with the unit number above crossed cannons. It belonged to my friend's grandfather who retired as a colonel and was in WWII. As a matter of fact, this pin was worn by him during WWII.
Thanks! Good stuff, Roger.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM

I got the nut made and got it set up tonight. I need to move my bridge a couple of mm to the bass side because my 1st string is too close to the edge of the fretboard toward the heel. Also, I'm probably going to end up re-working the neck. It feels awfully thick and baseball bat-like. It needs a little work on set up as well, but for my first effort, I'm pretty pleased. I'll give John Mayes a call and see if I can get him help me dial it in. I'll get the electronics in sometime this week, so I may get some sound clips up soon.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
I got the nut made and got it set up tonight. I need to move my bridge a couple of mm to the bass side because my 1st string is too close to the edge of the fretboard toward the heel. Also, I'm probably going to end up re-working the neck. It feels awfully thick and baseball bat-like. It needs a little work on set up as well, but for my first effort, I'm pretty pleased. I'll give John Mayes a call and see if I can get him help me dial it in. I'll get the electronics in sometime this week, so I may get some sound clips up soon.
I don't think the neck felt thick... of course that's preference. I did notice the edges of the neck weren't blended into the fretboard really well. That might be where you're feeling the strangeness. Try blending that from the flat.square edge to a edge that tapers into the curve.... if that makes sense.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM

That makes sense, John. I was playing Lenny on it last night, and I usually wrap my thumb over the top to hit the E a lot on that song. On my strat it's no problem, but on this one I could barely reach over. You're probably right that if I work the sides more into the curve that will make it feel a lot more comfortable.

Also while playing it last night, I never noticed any problems on the 1st string being too close, so I'll probably leave the bridge where it is. I'd still like to bring it over some time if you're game. I got it set up reasonably well, but I think there are some things that your experience could really help with.

Thanks man!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Hey Roger!! This has become a fantastic build.. You are earning the Tired Dog Guitars label, but what an education you are giving yourself. I can't wait to hear you play it, let me know when you will debut it at Sunnybrook.. now for some additional inspiration. Here is a youtube link to a couple of fine pickers, David Hartley and John Stannard.. John is playing I believe a 1962 model. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/davepeda.../8/guCmzavTQDA
By the way, these guys are in Great Britain..
Thanks for sharing your build!!
Brandon says to tell you hello, Lots going on in Nepal!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Hey Bob, thanks! It has definitely been an education, that's for sure. i probably won't play it at Sunnybrook because I don't think I can handle the electric duties for the worship team hehe. I will have it ready for the next ACVP concert though. We were supposed to be heading to Nashville to play a conference, but it looks like those plans may be on hold now.

Thanks for the link, that was great. They both had some pretty awesome licks in there.

Can't wait to get Brandon's next update.

Take care!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Well, except for the control knobs, I'm done. I went through a design change at the end. I decided that I liked the look better without the pick guard and neck pup, so I'm foregoing those. I figured if that look is good enough for Billy Gibbons, then I can get away with it too . There are plenty of mistakes along the way, but I'm really happy with the overall look. It plays well and sounds good, and weighs in at only 5 lbs, so it's a keeper for sure. Thanks for all the help and encouragement along the way!

Now for the pics

The color in these pics seems to be a bit washed out. The color in the pics above is more like what it looks like in person.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Whippersnapper

That's pure, raw rock n' roll right there! Nice wrap up Roger. Really enjoyed watching this build.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks Kyle. I really appreciate you tagging along. It was definitely frustrating at times, and I felt like throwing in the towel several times, but I'm glad I stayed with it. I learned a ton and am looking forward to the next one.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM

Here's the final wrap up vid of the mili-tele project. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMz4tupTOMU
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 AM

Cool project Roger. Enjoyed the wrap up.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 AM
*mahoganut*

Very cool, and glad to have seen it in person Rog!!!

Phil
Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Thank you, fellas. I'm looking forward to my next one already. My friend who did the playing on the vid wants an esquire-ish build, so I told him I would help him with it.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM

I got a surprise in the mail today.

Evan (thebolo here on the forum) sent me a couple of .50 shells. I'm on my way to the garage right now to start making some knobs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair