The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Gibson's warranty?

Is it worth a darn to buy a new Les Paul, or should I just look for a gently used one for 30% off the cover price? If the warranty was worth it, I might consider it, but with all their corporate restructuring going on, it may not matter. Advice appreciated in advance.

Partrick
Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I'd say no. A Martin with an expectation of a need for neck reset in 20 years, maybe. A Les Paul? no way.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

When I first got my ES-345 in 1975, I had a heck of a time getting it to play in tune... one tech (whom I trusted) told me that the guitar had the famous "Gibson hump", meaning a slight rise where the fretboard meets the body of the guitar... he told me that there was no way to get it fully intonated unless that issue was addressed properly.

I called Gibson (actually started with a letter - this was in '75, remember?) and they were not willing to even address the issue! Even though the sticker in the f-hole clearly says "guaranteed for life"...

That was in the late 70's; I don't think they've gotten any more accommodating in the interim.

I'd say the warranty is not a big concern...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Sort of what I figured, but what the hey, I have a whole world of guitar experts at my fingertips! Thanks ya'll.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 AM

It really depends on what the issue is.

The warranty doesn't cover the finish, but a lot of the complaints that you'd see over at the Gibson Forum are finish related.

Some self inflicted (things making contact with nitro not fully cured.. guitar hangers or stands, head stock tuners) and some are just imperfections that some people can't or wont tolerate. Over spray on the bindings, "Orange Peel" along the neck joint.. things like that, which some buyers loose their mind over and others don't seem to mind one way or another.

If there's an issue that develops with things like electronics, the neck etc, the warranty should cover that.

I've friend with a ES339, the neck started twisting on him, he was able to get it fixed at no cost, he just needed to produce a copy of his sales invoice, he never registered it with Gibson when he bought it

I've also followed posts on the Gibson Forum where pickups have failed, and Gibson has covered those too, and other things similar. so the Warranty if applicable, will help in many situations.

I've got 6 Gibsons, oldest one is a LP Standard from 95, newest one was a SJ200 Standard purchased in 2016. all purchased new. I've never had a single complaint or problem with any of them. I've also got a Gibson Goldtone GA30RVS amp that I picked up in 2002, and I've never had an issue what that either.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:50 PM

I'd go used and save the $ if I had the chance. Warranty doesn't enter my mind with electric guitars and 30% off retail.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I buy my electrics used 95% of the time.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've had two issues with Gibson guitars: An ES-335 that arrived missing the acorn nut that holds on the pickguard. I gave them a call and they sent a complete mounting assembly which arrive two days later. I bought an inexpensive Les Paul '60s Tribute and discovered that one of the volume controls knobs was split. I called and they overnighted me a new one.

Obviously, I have had no problems with Gibson customer service.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've had two issues with Gibson guitars: An ES-335 that arrived missing the acorn nut that holds on the pickguard. I gave them a call and they sent a complete mounting assembly which arrive two days later. I bought an inexpensive Les Paul '60s Tribute and discovered that one of the volume controls knobs was split. I called and they overnighted me a new one.

Bob
In addition to Bob's experience with Gibson customer service, I stripped a strap button screw about 10 years ago. I emailed Gibson and they mailed me a screw within a day or two. No problems there.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Their warranty is limited. I got an expensive 2018 SG hp last year and love it. One day, some ugly yellow chemical leaks from one of the pots and ruins the finish. Gibson didn't care cause they have a clause disallowing cosmetic damage, even though they either buy cheap parts or can't assemble them properly.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-21-2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
That's because YOUR reputation precedes you!

HE
Old 09-21-2019, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

In my experience, warranties mean nothing but then Makers warranties for foreign made instruments (American Far-Eastern) are not honoured in the UK (EU?) as the responsibility for any such warranty is passed to th retailer.

What IS important is the makers reputation for Customer service and after-sales service.

Collings - Great, Others? IME -zero.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In my experience, warranties mean nothing but then Makers warranties for foreign made instruments (American Far-Eastern) are not honoured in the UK (EU?) as the responsibility for any such warranty is passed to th retailer.

What IS important is the makers reputation for Customer service and after-sales service.

Collings - Great, Others? IME -zero.
Taylor did establish its service organization in Amsterdam.

Maroastraat 113
1060 LG Amsterdam, Netherlands
Service: +31 (0)20 667 6033

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Their warranty is limited. I got an expensive 2018 SG hp last year and love it. One day, some ugly yellow chemical leaks from one of the pots and ruins the finish. Gibson didn't care cause they have a clause disallowing cosmetic damage, even though they either buy cheap parts or can't assemble them properly.
Wow. I've never heard of pots ruining finishing before. How did the leak go from the pot to the finish ... or was it the shaft under the volume/tone control where it leaked?

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 PM

If a warranty is important, buy a used Gibson Les Paul at Guitar Center and add their warranty.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars