The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Loudbox Mini "Rebuild" Questions

Like many here, I own a Loudbox Mini amp and, like many here, the tolex is shedding like crazy so I have a couple Questions:

1. Is there any Product that can be applied (sprayed perhaps?) to the remaining cover material to halt it's further deterioration?

2. Does anyone make a "kit" that one can use to replace the shedding body/chassis parts with solid wood?

I remember seeing a thread several years ago where someone replaced the existing, shedding, body parts of their Mini with beautiful wood but I can't find the thread.

I've read the newer Minis have a greatly improved Tolex material that no longer shreds at the slightest touch but I'm not looking to replace my amp, just make it more home-friendly. The electronics are in perfect working order but the outside is in seriously bad condition. In the interest of full disclosure, this shedding started when I put the official amp cover on it. The cover was very tight and I just muscled it onto the amp which seemed to start the shedding process. I no longer use the cover...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
Old 09-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

UPDATE:

After posting the above um, post, I reached out to Fishmann just to see what they thought of the issue and received a very nice email that contained a link to their RA system. I haven't yet done so, but they want me to fill out an RA request and then they will send me the necessary paperwork to send along for a no cost replacement of the tattered tolex and no cost return shipping.

Presently I have no idea the cost of shipping but it has to be less than buying a new amp!!

Just wanted to pass this along,
PJ
Old 09-24-2021, 08:34 AM

a lot of well deserved love for Fishman's service here on the AGF. They've always treated me very well and that seems to be the norm. For your case I would add that if you're comfortable taking out the amp head from the cabinet that will reduce your shipping costs. Fishman can provide you with a PDF version of the instructions to do this and it's pretty simple.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I didn't return to this thread until this morning and have sent the complete amp to the Loudbox folks 2 days ago.

Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.

I'm taking the view that I will have an essentially brand new $370 amp, whose sound I already love, for $74 (I got insurance).

Thanks again,
PJ
Old 10-04-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Like many here, I own a Loudbox Mini amp and, like many here, the tolex is shedding like crazy so I have a couple Questions:

1. Is there any Product that can be applied (sprayed perhaps?) to the remaining cover material to halt it's further deterioration?

2. Does anyone make a "kit" that one can use to replace the shedding body/chassis parts with solid wood?

I remember seeing a thread several years ago where someone replaced the existing, shedding, body parts of their Mini with beautiful wood but I can't find the thread.

I've read the newer Minis have a greatly improved Tolex material that no longer shreds at the slightest touch but I'm not looking to replace my amp, just make it more home-friendly. The electronics are in perfect working order but the outside is in seriously bad condition. In the interest of full disclosure, this shedding started when I put the official amp cover on it. The cover was very tight and I just muscled it onto the amp which seemed to start the shedding process. I no longer use the cover...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
I hear you brother. The outside of my Loudbox Mini looks like I have been dragging it behind my car and I have not abused it in anyway.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM

Huh. I must have a newer version. I shlepped it to gigs all over and the Tolex is fine.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Same issue here. Factory cover seems to have rubbed tolex off along the front of the side panels. Building a wood cab is on my project list. Let us know how your refurb goes.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification