The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Question Advice please (#2): Getting mic and guitar input into iPad Pro 10.5 (2017)

I’ve been trying to come up with a relatively simple solution for using my iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) to collaborate with 1-3 other people (and possibly to use it for streaming on Zoom or FB Live).

I have another thread going on USB mics here
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=581677

I also want to get advice on whether this might be another way to go. I have a Carvin AG300 amp that I run my vocal mic and guitar through. It has a pretty good built-in equalizer, which would be good to use (I don’t have a separate mixer). More importantly, it also has a “direct out” to run an XLR cable into a mixer or PA system.

As a less simple solution than a USB mic, I’m wondering if I might be able to run an XLR cable from the Carvin AG300 into an audio interface (like the Audient EVO 4 or Focusrite 2i2) and then through a powered USB hub into an Apple USB to lightning cable into the iPad.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 PM

I just posted my solution to this (though you wouldn’t know it from the thread title:

http://Zoom H6, SSH-6, AG6/S-mic tes...d.php?t=581708
Old 05-22-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just posted my solution to this (though you wouldn’t know it from the thread title:

http://Zoom H6, SSH-6, AG6/S-mic tes...d.php?t=581708
That’s really nice sound. Can you please confirm the chain you used on the video? How are the H6 and Shertler interfacing with the iPad? Are you using an Apple camera kit? Or am I missing completely on your setup (are you using something other than an iPad to record)?

Last night I dug out my Zoom H4n Pro and put it into audio interface mode. I plugged my Sennhesier e935 into one channel and my Eastman T184MX into the other. The H4N4 Pro went directly into my Macbook USB port. I also plugged my headhones into the H4n Pro and enabled monitor mode. I tested it with both Zoom and Facebook Messenger video chat, and both worked. I’m not sure what will happen if I swap the Eastman out and an acoustic guitar into the H4n Pro (since the Sennheiser mic will probably pick up the guitar as well), but that’s OK for practicing with band mates… I’ll just used the Eastman.

I’m also intrigued by the Samson G-Track Pro USB mic as well, with it’s built-in audio interface and ability to plug in a standard guitar cable and headphones.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Advice please (#2): Getting mic and guitar input into iPad Pro 10.5 (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
That’s really nice sound. Can you please confirm the chain you used on the video? How are the H6 and Shertler interfacing with the iPad? Are you using an Apple camera kit? Or am I missing completely on your setup (are you using something other than an iPad to record)?

Last night I dug out my Zoom H4n Pro and put it into audio interface mode. I plugged my Sennhesier e935 into one channel and my Eastman T184MX into the other. The H4N4 Pro went directly into my Macbook USB port. I also plugged my headhones into the H4n Pro and enabled monitor mode. I tested it with both Zoom and Facebook Messenger video chat, and both worked. I’m not sure what will happen if I swap the Eastman out and an acoustic guitar into the H4n Pro (since the Sennheiser mic will probably pick up the guitar as well), but that’s OK for practicing with band mates… I’ll just used the Eastman.

I’m also intrigued by the Samson G-Track Pro USB mic as well, with it’s built-in audio interface and ability to plug in a standard guitar cable and headphones.

The H4N should work fine for this. There isn’t enough USB buss power on an iPad to power the G-Track. It might work with a powered hub though.

Yes, I just used the camera connection kit. I kind of like the shotgun mic with voice on video because you can back it off from your face so that the mic isn’t covering it (like in Tiny Desk Concerts).

Another possibility is the Zoom U22 or U44 (which is like the H series recorders, but without the SD card recorder). I don’t know if it works with the mid-side-stereo feature of the SGH6 shotgun mic though. I know it would be fine with the SSH6 mono shotgun mic.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-22-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:40 PM

The Schertler AG-6/S-Mic is just a magnetic soundhole pickup with a mic blend. The Fishman Rare Earth Blend is a similar design. A mag/mic pickup like that really suits my playing style. It just plugs in like any other acoustic guitar with a pickup. I turn the mic up more when I’m recording than I do live.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 PM

@lkingston Thanks for the explanation. I understand that the iPad won't power much, if anything through the lightning port. I do wonder if the Lightning to USB 3 Camera kit (the $39 version, which has both a USB and a lightning port strictly to provide power, as I understand it) might provide enough power an work in place of a powered hub. Edit: I just checked the Samson web site and they indicate that it will.

I have to admit that I still don't understand how you're getting the guitar into the mix. Perhaps we can take this offline by phone or video chat. Please PM me if that would work. Thanks.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 05-22-2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added info from Samson web site
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 PM

I just plugged the guitar into one of XLR/line combo inputs. The vocal was the X/Y mic (replaced with the stereo shotgun mic module). The guitar was the next free input. In iPad interface mode, the H6 combines the X/Y mic and the four extra inputs to a stereo pair.

Your H4N Pro does the same thing, but the X/Y mic head isn't replaceable and there are only two combo ins. Just use the X/Y mic a little closer and plug your guitar in at the bottom.

That or you could just use a mic into one input and your guitar into the other.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just plugged the guitar into one of XLR/line combo inputs. The vocal was the X/Y mic (replaced with the stereo shotgun mic module). The guitar was the next free input. In iPad interface mode, the H6 combines the X/Y mic and the four extra inputs to a stereo pair.

Your H4N Pro does the same thing, but the X/Y mic head isn't replaceable and there are only two combo ins. Just use the X/Y mic a little closer and plug your guitar in at the bottom.

That or you could just use a mic into one input and your guitar into the other.
Thanks for confirming. That's what I figured. I plug a mic and guitar into the H4n Pro when I've used it to record, so that's my standard setup. I wish I had the option to use the shotgun like you do, but I'll be sticking with the H4n Pro for now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD