The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post

I would also steer you away from the stock tuners that Larrivee has on their website. They are Pings and are not built for longevity IMHO and IME. My
Just for clarification, the JCL tuners listed on the Larrivee website are NOT Pings.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Just for clarification, the JCL tuners listed on the Larrivee website are NOT Pings.
Yes, they are. I emailed Larrivée last week and asked them.

At least, I think that's what they said. I asked this:
I'm told the 16:1 Larrivee-branded tuners on my D-03R are made by Ping. Are the 18:1 JCL tuners also made by Ping?

And they replied:

Yes. They that is correct.

Thank you

Larrivée Service Department
Jean Larrivée Guitars Inc.

I like to imagine that Ping tuners were named when someone tested them on a guitar with a sticky nut slot during development.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Chrome, Chrome, always Chrome for me. I have gold on my Eastman AC520 and I really dislike them. I’ll change them one of these days. Vintage chrome always looks best to me.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post

I'm told the 16:1 Larrivee-branded tuners on my D-03R are made by Ping. Are the 18:1 JCL tuners also made by Ping?

And they replied:

Thank you

I like to imagine that Ping tuners were named when someone tested them on a guitar with a sticky nut slot during development.
Thank you for the clarification.

I believe that the mini tuning machines on my Martin D-16GT are also made by Ping. So far they’re holding up but if they fail I’m swapping in some chrome Grover Sta-Tite open backed tuning machines. I know they’re not drop in but I have several sets of bushings to make them fit.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:

And they replied:

Thank you

Hmmm, that's odd, on Larrivee forum it's been stated that the *JCL* tuners are Faradyne, on older larrivees the tuners were indeed Ping, but the new ones *JCL* (marked on them)
, the new ones currently for sale are Faradyne.
Well, I just spoke with Larrivee and found out that Faradyne & Ping are the SAME company, don't understand why the different names from same company though.

Last edited by Rockysdad; 10-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post

I would also steer you away from the stock tuners that Larrivee has on their website. They are Pings and are not built for longevity IMHO and IME. My OM-03R had them. No longer. It is now sporting full size chrome Gotoh 510s (with the angled mounting screw configuration) which were straight drop-in and work fantastically. Highly recommended.
Actually, while the Pings are also available, the upgrade tuners available from Larrivee are 'Faradyne'; these are the ones that come standard on the Deluxe or Custom models.

I had the Faradyne 18:1 on my L-10 Custom, and they really are fine tuners...I stuck with them for about 3 years; I still have to give the edge to the Gotoh 510 21:1 though. When I upgraded the L-10 to those I put the Faradynes on my L-03.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-03-2019, 02:09 PM

I'm partial to gold. I have satin 510's on my 814ceDLX and have contemplated changing to gold. My 614ce has told and they look amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Good looking guitar - either will look fine but I'm going with gold.

I had a nickel Grover Rotomatic fall apart on a Taylor I owned (pictured below) - swapped them all out for a new gold set - and the truss rod screws - I think it improved the look, made it appear a little higher spec.

Which Taylor is that? They haven't done Grovers for a long time. My 910 came with gold Grovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 910_headstock_sm.jpg (56.3 KB, 40 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Actually, while the Pings are also available, the upgrade tuners available from Larrivee are 'Faradyne'; these are the ones that come standard on the Deluxe or Custom models.

I had the Faradyne 18:1 on my L-10 Custom, and they really are fine tuners...I stuck with them for about 3 years; I still have to give the edge to the Gotoh 510 21:1 though. When I upgraded the L-10 to those I put the Faradynes on my L-03.
Per the email I received from Larrivée, they're Pings; and per Larrivée's phone conversation with user Rockysdad, Ping and Faraday are the same company.

Which makes sense, really. A small shop like Larrivée would probably not want the trouble of sourcing from two different companies.

The Pings are okay, but I've become used to the tighter gearing of the Gotohs on my other acoustic.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

Which Taylor is that? They haven't done Grovers for a long time. My 910 came with gold Grovers.
That was a 1996 Taylor 422 Quilted Maple.
The string shaft fell out one of the original nickel tuners.
'Nashville Tuning' strings on the guitar in that picture.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Per the email I received from Larrivée, they're Pings; and per Larrivée's phone conversation with user Rockysdad, Ping and Faraday are the same company.

Which makes sense, really. A small shop like Larrivée would probably not want the trouble of sourcing from two different companies.

The Pings are okay, but I've become used to the tighter gearing of the Gotohs on my other acoustic.
Interesting...I kinda wondered about that, but couldn't find anything anywhere about it. I have to agree though...while none of the Ping tuners on my Larrivees has ever caused any problems, the Gotoh 510s are just plain better...I have them on 3 guitars, including a locking set on my Ibanez Artist.

Incidentally, back to the OPs post, I think the satin finish gold would look great on that guitar. I went with shiny gold on mine, but also changed the buttons to wood.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 10-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:30 PM

I would keep the chrome, but swap out the tuner buttons for some ebony ones.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Chrome or Cosmo Black

I really hate the aesthetic of gold hardware.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion