The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Chrome or gold Gotohs for this Larrivée?

Putting 18:1 Gotoh 510s on this Larrivée D-03R:

Opinions, please. Stay with chrome, or switch to gold?

I like gold hardware, but I'm unsure whether it will go with the satin finish.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 PM

I like Chrome unless there a real aesthetic reason to go gold, like if it had gold EVO frets, or Koa sides or even Koa binding etc...
Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 PM

Good looking guitar - either will look fine but I'm going with gold.

I had a nickel Grover Rotomatic fall apart on a Taylor I owned (pictured below) - swapped them all out for a new gold set - and the truss rod screws - I think it improved the look, made it appear a little higher spec.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 PM

gold sure dresses up a guitar
Old 10-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Dwas, another couple of finish options to consider are black - either opaque black or the translucent black that Gotoh calls “cosmo black” - or the antiqued-looking X gold finish that Gotoh puts on some of its finest tuners.

Gotoh first developed their “X” finishes as an anti-corrosion and self-lubricating coating. The fact that it gives the tuners it’s on an antiqued appearance is just a happy byproduct.

Here’s the thing: it actually makes the tuners ever so slightly more accurate. It’s a subtle enhancement but it’s discernible when you do side by side comparisons. Which I can do because I’ve got Gotoh 510’s in both X gold and traditional finishes on some of my instruments.

When I was working with National Reso-Phonic as a consultant as they were developing their RM-1 resonator mandolin, they asked me to figure out which tuners to use on the mandolins. I worked directly with Gotoh to get them to make better quality mandolin tuners than they were making at the start of the project, and I had at least a dozen sets of new prototype mandolin tuners here that they sent me. I had two mandolins that I tested them on, and the tuner sets in their X finishes got in tune and stayed in tune slightly better. With as many side by side comparisons as I made, the difference was unmistakable.

So my recommendation for the tuners you buy for your Larrivee is that you get them in the X gold finish. Visually, they’re a bit more subdued than the shiny gold finish: they look more like brass. And they’ll go with the satin finish of the guitar just fine because they’re in a satin finish themselves.

The only aspect of Gotoh 510 sealed gear tuners that I’m not especially enthused about is the stock button shape. But aftermarket buttons in the rectangular Schaller shape (like what’s on there now) and in the Grover kidney bean shape are readily available, and will dress up the guitar even further in a quietly elegant way.

I might even have some in my parts box I might be willing to part with.

So there are plenty of options open to you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-03-2019, 06:00 AM

I have the kid brother to your D03, the OM-03, and I’m going to put 510’s on mine soon. I normally would go for gold, but with my guitar, there is a warmth and “goldfish” hue to the top and even the striped ebony on the fingerboard. As Wade suggested, I’m taking a look at the antique gold or cosmo black for mine. I think they’re a bit more subtle and understated, but still world class.

Whichever you choose, I think it’s a good upgrade!
Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 AM

I put Antique gold on all but one of my Taylors and it was a Walnut back/sides guitar that had more of a copper look on it, so it got the aged copper set.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

I don't like yellow gold on anything - stick with chrome. Put some black tuner buttons on it to change the look.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Maybe a satin finish on the buttons will go well with the satin finish on the body.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Have you looked at the tuners, that Larrivee offers on their site ?

https://www.larrivee.com/shop/jcl-bl...ted-to-50-pcs.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Chrome, black or something else...no gold...yukky.
Just my opinion which is meaningless.

I had gold tuners on my gorgeous Pono Dread, but it was a beautiful coppery burst with some abalone bling. The gold tuners worked well on that guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2019, 07:27 AM

This is a link to the Aged Gold Gotohs (no affiliation with seller)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotoh-SGV51...IAAOSwY45UQWrv
Old 10-03-2019, 08:31 AM

As much as Wade has almost swayed me, I say stick with chrome if that’s your only options. I like the look of brushed nickel or antique brass but those are $$$ IME.

I would also steer you away from the stock tuners that Larrivee has on their website. They are Pings and are not built for longevity IMHO and IME. My OM-03R had them. No longer. It is now sporting full size chrome Gotoh 510s (with the angled mounting screw configuration) which were straight drop-in and work fantastically. Highly recommended.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I like Chrome unless there a real aesthetic reason to go gold, like if it had gold EVO frets, or Koa sides or even Koa binding etc...
I agree with this. It would be chrome for me.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
So my recommendation for the tuners you buy for your Larrivee is that you get them in the X gold finish. Visually, they’re a bit more subdued than the shiny gold finish: they look more like brass. And they’ll go with the satin finish of the guitar just fine because they’re in a satin finish themselves.

The only aspect of Gotoh 510 sealed gear tuners that I’m not especially enthused about is the stock button shape. But aftermarket buttons in the rectangular Schaller shape (like what’s on there now) and in the Grover kidney bean shape are readily available, and will dress up the guitar even further in a quietly elegant way.

I might even have some in my parts box I might be willing to part with.
I knew there was a reason I brought you into the business. I might even have to make you a full partner after this.

PM me if you find something appropriate in your parts box, please. Thanks man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion