The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac man View Post
YYep I don't know any luthier in my place but I will definitely see one
There must be at least 1 qualified guitar luthier around the Rue de Rome district... I don't know any in Paris either, but if you really fail to find someone you can try L'Accord du Bois in Compiègne.

(Have a look at http://www.laboitenoiredumusicien.com/, you may find someone close to you.)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Simple explanation.

Saddle was sanded down (as described above).

It was not seated all the way down in the slot (probably why the prior person kept sanding it down)

It eventually squeezed its way down the bridge slot.

Simple.

Need a new saddle installed properly

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 06-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Yep there are luthiers in Paris but you have to wait a long time to get an appointment. At least it was the case when i called 2 or 3 a few years ago.
If I don't find the culprit for this buzzing I will take it to a luthier.
Let's inspect the interior of the guitar with a mirror and a flashlight, and see what I can do with those moving wires. To be continued.

PS : Fazzol I checked the documents you uploaded about taylor neck setup, they are very interesting thank you for this.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Get a new saddle and the guitar most likely needs a neck reset if the saddle was that low to begin with.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Guys guys guys... I'm happy to announce you I've solved the problem, thanks to your help of course.
After having checked every corner of the guitar, and only a few seconds before throwing it by the window, I realized that the nut saddle had way too deep notches just under the strings that were buzzing. Here we go, when i played those strings they touched the 1st fret and made this annoying buzz.
I was ready to swear the noise was coming from the bridge what a surprise ! Vibrations were propagating from the 1st fret up to the bridge, making it looks like the noise was coming from the bottom of the guitar. What a lesson i've learnt guys, really.

So to fix the problem (maybe temporarily I don't know if it will remain like this) I removed the nut saddle, put some glue (cyanoacrylate) in the notches, let it dry, filed it and made new notches, less deep than the old ones. And voila, no more buzz.

You were very helpful guys, thank you very much. The guitar is sounding awesome now, and those new D'addario strings are very enjoyable, I was used to elixir (which are great too). Thanks again !
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Guys guys guys... I'm happy to announce you I've solved the problem, thanks to your help of course.
After having checked every corner of the guitar, and only a few seconds before throwing it by the window, I realized that the nut saddle had way too deep notches just under the strings that were buzzing. Here we go, when i played those strings they touched the 1st fret and made this annoying buzz.
I was ready to swear the noise was coming from the bridge what a surprise ! Vibrations were propagating from the 1st fret up to the bridge, making it looks like the noise was coming from the bottom of the guitar. What a lesson i've learnt guys, really.

So to fix the problem (maybe temporarily I don't know if it will remain like this) I removed the nut saddle, put some glue (cyanoacrylate) in the notches, let it dry, filed it and made new notches, less deep than the old ones. And voila, no more buzz.

You were very helpful guys, thank you very much. The guitar is sounding awesome now, and those new D'addario strings are very enjoyable, I was used to elixir (which are great too). Thanks again !
It's just called a nut, not a nut saddle. The saddle is the piece of plastic or bone the strings cross over at the bridge.

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Yep there are luthiers in Paris but you have to wait a long time to get an appointment.
That's Paris ... great for tourists but not as a place to live longer than a week or 2...

Glad you got it fixed. Yes, fret buzzes always seem to come from anywhere BUT the culprit fret...

I don't know how long pure superglue works as a filler (before the strings start wearing through it). If you find you have to redo the filling you can try mixing some baking soda (bicarbonate) into the glue, or bone dust if you have it.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the precision runamuck it's a pleasure to improve my english. Thanks for the good words as well.
And thanks RJVB for the tip, I think I'm gonna replace both saddle and nut to start fresh. You're totally right about Paris, nice town when you are just visiting, but living here is quite tough, sometimes a nightmare.. You seem to know what I mean. I really don't understand all the people craving for renting an appartment in Paris, if your read this, people, don't do it
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You seem to know what I mean.
Oh yes
I've lived in Paris for almost 17 years; since I'm gone I have hardly set a foot there (and definitely won't in the summers we're having since a few years). It's 28°C right now inside the old limestone house I'm living in (despite having kept windows and shutters closed), I don't even want to know how hot it is in the appartment I had in the 14th arrondissement. I
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM

haha today we had around 40° (celcius) it was a furnace.
Add pollution on top of this, and people are quite dirty, not well educated for a majority of them (moslty in the subway), traffic, too many people in shops, i will go anywhere else as soon as I can. Btw 14th where you were is among the nicest arrondissements so i let you imagine the rest

PS: the french hate paris too, this town is overrated as f.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
haha today we had around 40° (celcius) it was a furnace.
Add pollution on top of this, and people are quite dirty, not well educated for a majority of them (moslty in the subway), traffic, too many people in shops, i will go anywhere else as soon as I can. Btw 14th where you were is among the nicest arrondissements so i let you imagine the rest

PS: the french hate paris too, this town is overrated as f.
I visited there twice about 15 years ago, during business trips. It was lovely then. I also visited London a few times, which was also a terrific city.

Last year I took our family on a large vacation to London and Paris and the change was shocking, to me.

London was nice and got even better. Cleaner, more development, more success - a really vibrant and thriving city.

Paris got much worse. Even the "nicest" places were dirty, strewn with litter and in disrepair. The description above was very true.

It was shocking to me.

Before I would have rated them as equally nice - just very different. But equally nice in different ways.

Now I would rate London as even better and Paris as very over-rated and disappointing.

My whole family wanted to go to Paris (they can all speak French). I wanted to go to London. After the vacation, they all said they loved London and would never go back to Paris.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-29-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I visited there twice about 15 years ago, during business trips. It was lovely then.
But if you have visited for a (business or otherwise) trip some 24 years ago (the fall of '95) you'd have come away with a completely different impression, comparable to what you'd have experienced over the last few months.

I think Paris can still be a nice place to visit if you can avoid the numerous strikes and the hottest months of the year (also the preferred period for invasive maintenance projects) and the coldest, most snow-prone months too (Paris isn't made for snow). Or rather, I hope so, because it certainly has been a victim of its own success, and of ever increasing principles of centralisation (and of encroaching suburbs, many of which are quite evocative of Algiers suburbs). A series of bad municipalities more interested in their own prestige and pockets (and those of their friends) rather than in the actual needs of the population haven't helped. Just 1 example: what do you think the effect was of a ban on tourist busses parking at will? I think the idea was that they'd resort to parking outside of the city, possibly after having dropped of their passengers (if they too handicapped to take public transportation). Instead, they just drive around empty in the already dense traffic...

Anyway, France is more than Paris, La Provence and the Côte d'Azur (plus maybe a few ski resorts in the Alps). But in a way I'd not regret it if that remained a pubic secret
Old 06-29-2019, 09:25 AM

You're totally right guys, plus security is a real concern now, you are not safe anymore in Paris, lots of trouble, mostly in transports and the suburbs, well everywhere in fact. People seem to be more and more agressive. Some are friendly of course but there are less an less. For just a look at someone you can end in a fight... Weird. Poverty is a concern too, Paris romantism and dreams haha let me laugh

It was cool a few years ago, with the previous generation, now with the new generation of people it's a total mess living here.

Lots of tourists complaining about all of this, and about the poor quality service, when they come they usually never come back. As you said they prefer London, or other places in Europe (Portugal is the real stuff nowadays, kind people, magic places).

Prices here are ridiculously high, if at least it was enjoyable I would be happy to pay the price, but not at all. It's a rip off.

Btw yes the rest of France is not like Paris hopefully, there are some places that are really nice (Provence as you said, Vendée, Bretagne, Corse)
Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM

Sounds like I got away just in time!

But it's always been typically Parisian to walk into a shop and feel very clearly that you were considered a necessary evil ("a client, if only we could do without"), or else they'd pounce on. I quickly learned never to accompany my gf into a lingerie store if I didn't want to be treated like a bottomless wallet-on-legs

As to security: I'm convinced the terrorism-related stuff is fear mongering to a large extent, which possibly leads to real security issues like the mentioned aggression when someone looks "wrong" at you. A fear-based society as explained by what's-his-name again (not Michael Douglas) in one of his (in)famous documentaries. I've never been able to think of the VigiPirate programme as anything other than "ViriPirate" (as in useful mostly to boost the self-perceived virility in those implementing it).
(I consider that our hard-won freedom is important enough to accept a somewhat higher cost/risk of living instead of giving it up little by little.)

I didn't actually mean to refer to La Provence as a particularly nicer place than Paris, instead I was thinking of it as a tourist trap and among the parts of France everyone knows. The standard attitude of the real Provincials is one of distrust vs. strangers btw, as often observed in remote rural populations. I've felt that (a bit), part of my wife's family being from there. Which never bothered me that much, given how at some level I have some difficulty taking them seriously, given the way they talk

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-30-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Please leave the profanity off the AGF
Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 PM

If the buzzing is only on open strings, the nut should be the first suspect.
Posting that information would have given you the correct answer much sooner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair