The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Default OM Overload!

I recently posted about getting an Eastman E20-OM. I am so enjoying the OM body shape and size! I've never had an OM before, and it's been a real eye opener. I feel like I've found a new home. Well, maybe a new room in my home anyway.

So I went o the LGS today and played a Martin OM-28, OM-21 and a 000-28 MD. I also played a Collings OM1A and a Taylor 812. They were all great, the surprise being the Taylor (I'm not a Taylor guy, didn't expect to like it, but it was really good). All different, but all great. I could have walked out of there with any of them and been pretty darn happy (except the Collings, only because it was a hog guitar and I prefer rosewood - they have a OM2 on order, so I'll check that out when it comes in). I might have walked out with tat OM-28, but that neck is just too darn skinny for me.

I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed though. How do you guys pick a guitar when you have 5 or 6 great ones staring at you?

I'm in no hurry, still enjoying the Eastman very much. But I do eventually want to get another OM to go with it. Probably something long scale since the Eastman in short scale. Or at least something different in tone and personality.

There is another shop in town that has Furch, Santa Cruz and a few other high end brands. I'll get out there sooner or later to check them out.

What else do you guys like in an OM size? I'd prefer to stay with something more traditional looking; cutaways, space age design, super ornate woods or holes in strange places are not really my thing.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I would recommend that you definitely check out a Santa Cruz OM and maybe even a Huss & Dalton. They are different than Collings and it will give you a good range to choose from. I have played a couple of Santa Cruz OMs that I have liked a lot. Really comfortable necks that are not too skinny or fat.

Have fun with your search.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

If, but for the neck, you liked the OM-28, I’d suggest trying to locate a used OM-28V. The mod-v with the 1 3/4” nut makes for a nice, comfortable neck. It’s not huge, but it does fill up the hand nicely.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:01 PM

I have a OM-28v which i adore -phenominal tone- But it has a v neck -which
personnally doesnt bother me all that much - the vintage models bring something else to the table. the newer OM-28 are sopose to be very simalar to the vintage series -
Good luck on your quest !.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHD35 View Post
If, but for the neck, you liked the OM-28, I’d suggest trying to locate a used OM-28V. The mod-v with the 1 3/4” nut makes for a nice, comfortable neck. It’s not huge, but it does fill up the hand nicely.

+1. This is what I did, and I’m very happy with my OM-28V. Great guitar, and I love the neck. [emoji1303]

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I understand! I’m a fan of the OM body style and overdid it myself. At one time I owned 7 really nice OM guitars. I’ve trimmed them down to 4 and have thought about selling one more bringing them down to 3 different brands with different tonewood combinations, but can’t seem to let any of them go.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Definitely put a Santa Cruz on your list of potential OM’s....the OM/PW is a great model to have a look at...
Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz OMs and Collings OMs are two that I would look at. The OM-28 is also terrific and is one of my favorites.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm a dread guy but still have one OM...a Martin CS OM-28VTS from MFG. I don't play it that much but when I do I realize why I keep it. And it makes for a fine wedding/funeral (when I mostly play it) guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:14 PM

So many great suggestions. Cliche as it is to say, you do have to do your own due diligence; I was never a fan of a mahogany guitar until my custom shop Martin 00-18.
It spread to a Sinker 0000, then to an OM-18 Sinker from the Martin custom shop.

My wife has a great ear; she agreed with me that this OM-18 stands toe-to-toe with a really excellent (and expensive) custom 000-42 I bought and ultimately sold. The aesthetics were lovely, but closing my eyes and opening my ears found a guitar I'll likely never sell.

So that isn't to say an entirely different wood set wouldn't appeal to you more. Maybe it's Adi and BRW, perhaps Sitka and mahogany. As a side note, I recently played the Reimagined OM-28 with Sitka and EIR and I thought it played and sounded excellent.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 PM

I’m on the same page - 000-14 fret rosewood, rosewood, rosewood.

Still have a lingering dissatisfaction from the big bloom spruce-mahogany 000-18 I owned - a guitar that demands high skill on the picking hand to control.

Trying out Om’s in store is just barely scratching the surface of the capabilities of such an instrument, at least in the hands of Martin, the originator of the model.

Have fun
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Default One thing to keep in mind

Try to find some area to play the guitars that isn't lined with guitars on the walls. Unless you have wood reverberation chambers on the walls of where you play, it ain't gonna be the same.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, when you find THE ONE, there isn’t much ambiguity. I tend to wait until I have that experience.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 PM

All I can say is rosewood and cedar make a great combo in an OM. I would try as least one good one with that wood combo if you can.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Bourgeois makes some great OM's as well - definitely worth checking out.

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion