The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM

I never said I was anything spectacular, quite the contrary. But if people stopped fixating over the little, usually insignificant things and actually played their guitars more, they'd sound better than, say upgrading bridge pins. But my guess is it's much easier to click a mouse and spend the money than it is to put oil the time and focus on your weaknesses and actually practice.

It's funny, like many here, I'm a guitar geek. I love the history, the different models, understanding differences in specs, etc., just like many here. When I meet real, actual players who perform the majority of the time these guys and gals have no idea the difference between mahogany and rosewood, scale length, nut width, etc. They just play and don't concern themselves with the other stuff. And yes, before you start to pile on and list players who also geek out, I'm speaking generally by saying MOST don't really care or know. They're more about playing.

When I stopped fixating on things that I thought were important and started playing and practicing more ALL my guitars started sounding better (even the ones with the cheap, plastic bridge pins believe it or not). I just think that many here are on the endless chase of what they think is perfection, and some may even use the search as a crutch or excuse for why they aren't where they'd like to really be as far as their playing is concerned. Some may just be strictly into the chase and really don't care about being a better player and geeking out on the little insignificant details is just what they get off on.Nothing wrong with that, as long as your honest with yourself.

It's all good though, we all have different reasons for why we own/play guitars. I'm just speaking to those who want to get better, but find themselves spending more time worrying about these things, spend countless hours watching videos of other people playing guitars, comparing models online, etc. If you're more of an enthusiast who geeks own on simply owning guitars and can only stem a few chords and you're happy, nothing wrong with that at all. But if you're the type who feels held back and wants to be a better player but worries more about bridge pins, bracing sizes, the type of finish used and if it affects tone, etc., you need to start being honest with yourself. You're putting the cart before the horse and need stop worrying about the diminishing returns of supposed "upgrades".

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-06-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM

I agree with Vinnie. So much obsession over hyde glue, different finishes, etc.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

i changed my plastic stock bridge pins in my 2015 D-18 and it sounded muddier to me. tried some bone a couple years later and it seemed to make it a little brighter. actually diminished bass. put the plastic back in and back to the sound i like and recognize. maybe martin knows what hey're doing.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM

Martin knows what they are doing alright. My D-18 convinced me of that. Haven't given my bridge pins a second thought.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:51 PM

I for the most part use bone pins. My Taylor 810 LTD was to bright with bone so I use Ebony, a nice match for my ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion