The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Advice with pull offs

Hey guys I'm having trouble with pull offs, even on a wider nut acoustic, and any input would be appreciated

It's the fretted pull offs in between strings, I can't avoid catching the other strings, it's manageable when it's an pull off to an open string, but the fretted pull offs (if that's the name for it) have a much lower action and I haven't managed to make a sufficient sound and avoid the other strings. Are there any tips, I don't quite get the mechanics of how to pull off a pull off haha - I guess it's just practise right? as with everything else that's to do with guitar
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianardo View Post
I guess it's just practise right? as with everything else that's to do with guitar
Pretty much

(sorry for absolutely useless reply)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Try pulling 'up' (away from the fretboard) more than 'over' (into the next string).

You can also mute the next string up (like the D string when fretting the A string) by flattening your finger a bit so that it rests on the string you don't want to sound.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...highlight=pull

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
You can also mute the next string up (like the D string when fretting the A string) by flattening your finger a bit so that it rests on the string you don't want to sound.
I'll have to disagree with that. It works, for sure, but is more of a crutch than a solution. What happens when you need to play the adjacent string or let it ring (which happens quite often, at least for my playing)?

To the OP, I'm guessing you're trying to pull off at a slightly lateral angle to get a little more "bite" on the note. One thing that I forgot to mention is that having a good setup (so that the jacent string action is low enough) may help
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM

I think damping the adjacent string is a valid classical technique (I have seen it suggested by good classical players) - when the volume of a strong pull off is needed. Sure you can't always do it as you will sometimes need to let the other string ring. I don't feel its any more of a crutch than using a thumb to fret the 6th string for example - I would learn to apply both techniques (damping and not damping) then apply whichever is appropriate.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84 View Post
I think damping the adjacent string is a valid classical technique (I have seen it suggested by good classical players) - when the volume of a strong pull off is needed.
No harm knowing both, of course. But if someone can do the former (without muting) they can surely do the latter.

Quote:
I don't feel its any more of a crutch than using a thumb to fret the 6th string for example....
Well, coming from an avid thumb-fretter , I don't think it's the same since that particular technique allows many things that would be physically impossible otherwise, making it much more of an enabler than a crutch.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "don't ever mute", but rather "learn not to at first"
Transcriptions

Last edited by mmmaak; 09-04-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 AM

Thanks guys, great advice as always - I'll keep at it, link was useful rick
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

A good exercise is to plant your middle finger on the 3rd fret of the E (bass) string and pull off the 4th fret and the 2nd fret using your pinky and index on the G string(a double pull off):

3xx4xx
3xx2xx

work on the pinky pull off first, leaving the other two fingers planted.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Well, coming from an avid thumb-fretter , I don't think it's the same since that particular technique allows many things that would be physically impossible otherwise, making it much more of an enabler than a crutch.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "don't ever mute", but rather "learn not to at first"
Yes, I know you're a thumb fretter - that's why I bought it up

There's an interesting article here
http://douglasniedt.com/techtipslursmultipage1.html
This includes advice on 'safety stops' (muting, when pulling off) - ironically I found this link from one of Mak's earlier posts!!

Cheers
Paul
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Yes, I know you're a thumb fretter - that's why I bought it up

There's an interesting article here
http://douglasniedt.com/techtipslursmultipage1.html
This includes advice on 'safety stops' (muting, when pulling off) - ironically I found this link from one of Mak's earlier posts!!

Cheers
Paul
That *is* ironic, Paul

Quite a collection of useful tips, eh? I'll admit I haven't even been through 10% of them. Loads of good stuff and interesting concepts.
Transcriptions

Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
What happens when you need to play the adjacent string or let it ring (which happens quite often, at least for my playing)?
Um... don't mute it?

The OP said they didn't want the adjacent string to sound, so I thought that muting it (with the 'fretting' finger BTW) might work.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Having read through this thread, I'm not so sure I know what a pull-off is. What is it? Is there more than one definition?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Um... don't mute it?
My point was if the OP wanted to learn to do pull-offs, he should learn it the "right" (I use that term very loosely) way first without having to purposely mute the adjacent string. The deliberate muting (with either hand) can always be learned later.

Quote:
The OP said they didn't want the adjacent string to sound, so I thought that muting it (with the 'fretting' finger BTW) might work.
It sure would, but I was under the impression that he wanted to train the fretting finger to do a clean pull-off rather than just treat the "symptom" of a ringing string.
Transcriptions

Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Having read through this thread, I'm not so sure I know what a pull-off is. What is it? Is there more than one definition?
Pull-off a stunt...Herb
Anyway, it's pulling your finger off the string in such a way that the next fretted note or open string will ring without actually playing it with your right hand. Multiple notes can be played this way in succession as well if the notes are fretted prior, of course. It's all practice...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write