The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 09:19 AM

Default D'addario XT strings

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in a cave. Apparently D'addario have released a new line coated strings, XT. Just wondering if anyone has tried these yet and if yes how do they compare with EXP strings or even Elixir strings for that matter.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Come out of your cave and check out this thread.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557037
Old 09-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the link, sometimes I have trouble finding the cave entrance. I did check out that thread and of course the usual some like some don't, which is to be expected. I'll of course take the plunge and order a few sets of both 80/20 and phosphor bronze.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Guitarluva,
I put these new XT strings (Phosphor Bronze Light) on my Gibson J15 and am very happy with them. They have a warmth and fullness of tone that the EXP16s don't quite seem to have.

When I first install strings, no matter the guitar or strings, I have to let them sit on the guitar for at least a full day to let them sort of settle in and let the harshness go away. Sometimes it takes 2 days.

With the XT strings however this harshness only took a little over an hour to go away.

What I mean by "letting them sit" is to just put the guitar on a stand for a few hours then overnight in the case.

Prior to the XT strings, my go-to strings have been the D'Addario EXP16 light gauge and while I like the sound from them after the settling-in period, I have to let them sit for at least a day before I enjoy their tone. With the XT set however, I only had to wait for an hour or so to get the warmth and fullness I want from my guitar and the tone is warmer and fuller than that of the EXP16.

The coating of the XT also seems less "squeaky" than the EXP16. I would say it's about half as loud.

Give them a try and you might find you like them. I certainly do. They've become my favorite strings for my Gibson.

Best,
PJ
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I beta tested the phosphor bronze ones and liked them better than the EJ16s or the EXPs. As others have said, they are less squeaky, nice balance between warmth and clarity, and last a while. Worth checking out. I had hoped to put some on one of my guitars last weekend but got inundated with other pesky non-guitar things. This weekend they will get the XTs and I will report in.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Get off my lawn kid

This is a bare fingered finger style piece I recorded with week old XT strings. CGDGCD tuning, capo on 3. There's still is a little bit of new string tone to them.

D'Addario XT strings - Daybreak/Morning Calm

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Guitarluva,
I put these new XT strings (Phosphor Bronze Light) on my Gibson J15 and am very happy with them. They have a warmth and fullness of tone that the EXP16s don't quite seem to have.

When I first install strings, no matter the guitar or strings, I have to let them sit on the guitar for at least a full day to let them sort of settle in and let the harshness go away. Sometimes it takes 2 days.

With the XT strings however this harshness only took a little over an hour to go away.

What I mean by "letting them sit" is to just put the guitar on a stand for a few hours then overnight in the case.

Prior to the XT strings, my go-to strings have been the D'Addario EXP16 light gauge and while I like the sound from them after the settling-in period, I have to let them sit for at least a day before I enjoy their tone. With the XT set however, I only had to wait for an hour or so to get the warmth and fullness I want from my guitar and the tone is warmer and fuller than that of the EXP16.

The coating of the XT also seems less "squeaky" than the EXP16. I would say it's about half as loud.

Give them a try and you might find you like them. I certainly do. They've become my favorite strings for my Gibson.

Best,
PJ
Thanks for sharing your experience with the strings. I just ordered a couple of sets from strings and beyond, phosphor bronze and 80/20's light gauge. Can't seem to find them anywhere online in Canada. Should have them in a couple weeks. I will try the phosphor bronze on my Gibson Songwriter which I just reverted back to elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze, previously strung with D'addario nickel bronze. It seems no matter what string I try I always end up back to elixirs. Not that there's anything wrong with elixir strings I just don't like how the coating on them sheds.

I'll post my thoughts when I receive them after about 10 or so hours of play time. I like strings to settle in before I give my thoughts.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I beta tested the phosphor bronze ones and liked them better than the EJ16s or the EXPs. As others have said, they are less squeaky, nice balance between warmth and clarity, and last a while.
This is one of the comments I was hoping for. I don't have any issues with EXP strings other than they don't last quite as long as elixir strings (for me) and were a bit squeaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This is a bare fingered finger style piece I recorded with week old XT strings. CGDGCD tuning, capo on 3. There's still is a little bit of new string tone to them.

D'Addario XT strings - Daybreak/Morning Calm
Thanks for sharing! Hard to say with the strings, guitar, recording and the playing but it all sounded really good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion