The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Unfortunately my problem is not solved, B and e strings are still doing a metallic sound when I play them, not really a buzz but more a metallic thing.
I put a shim under the nut, which raised up the strings, but still the same. I've also put my hand inside the guitar to immobilize the cables inside while playing the strings at the same time, but still the same metallic sound.
I think I've done everything to try to locate the cause of this metallic sound, but unfortunately nothing improved it.
I will wait for the appointment with the luthier...
Old 07-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Metallic sound is ONLY happening with open strings? Or fretted as well?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:05 AM

Hi Cobalt,
It happens from fret 1 to 7 (+ open strings). Thanks
Old 07-03-2019, 06:59 AM

Well the strings are metal right?

If a sound only occurs on certain frets it's a bit more difficult to analyses but typically the 'metallic' sound is a bad nut slot (open string) or a saddle that needs to be rounded off better (for all strings).

Has the guitar ever had fretwork done?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 AM

Thank you redir for your help. I don't think the guitar had any fretwork done. It's a 2001 guitar and I own it since 2005
So I'm going to buy a new nut and new saddle and see how it goes.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 AM

This was a very interesting conversation Pac Man, thank you for starting it.

I hope you have your Taylor sorted out now. It appeared to me from the first photos that you needed to have a new saddle. Those can usually be ordered by mail. I think Taylor does not feel the saddle should be sanded, but their neck shim should be used to adjust the action instead. I think the neck shims can be ordered too. But maybe you have determined the problem by now.

Living in Paris may be a headache but if I lived there, I would be sure to go and take some private guitar lessons from Pierre Bensusan
Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac man View Post
Hi Cobalt,
It happens from fret 1 to 7 (+ open strings). Thanks
This makes me think the guitar may need a little bow added to it by adjusting the truss rod.

If the strings are too close to the lower frets, the neck may be completely straight, or it may have a backward bow, but the highest frets would not buzz. We want it to look like a ( and not like a )

If you want to try it, you could adjust the truss rod to loosen it, by 1/8 turn increments, taking measurements each time to see if this helps.

The only thing to be careful of, is not to force the truss rod too much if it does not want to move. If the nut is at the end of its travel, you don't want to break it. But a little adjustment with moderate force would be good to try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair