The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Can't Get used to Certain G Chord

I can play all kinds of chords no problem, including barre chords. I need to play a G chord in certain songs with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I've been trying it for awhile now and still can't get accustomed to it. My pinky always locks out and it just feels unnatural. Anyone else play a G this way?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM

I know this is the ideal way to play a G, as it facilitates rapid switching between G and C, but I've never been able to do it either. Same pinky problems (not the least of which is due to short fingers).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Are you comfortable with this C chord
X
If so then leave the pinky planted and move over the second and third finger to make a G chord. Still feel ok? If so expand from there.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I know--that's one of my favorite ways to spice up a C; but the 2nd and 3rd fingers don't seem to want to move without my pinky lifting (could be a tendon anomaly, my hand surgeon and a teacher once said--not everyone can curl their tongue either). And old habits (especially ones of more than four decades' standing) die hard. The same may not be true for most people, especially younger ones with normal-length fingers. I just make up for it by moving fast.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Another that might help is to put your pinky down first. Use it as a sort of pivot until it feels right and then put the other fingers on the fretboard. Seems a lot easier for me to play if the thumb is off the neck and more towards the first or second fret - I twist my whole hand as not to get the fingers in uncomfortable positions. I can imagine the pinky could get a bit locked, I find it easier to have it perpendicular to the fretboard and adjust my hand to suit that. Everyone's hand is different, of course. And Rick's advice is very good - very similair chord shapes.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 PM

I usually just get my ring and middle fingers into position first and snap the pinky into position at the last moment.

I actually can't get used to playing a G chord the "abnormal" way!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM

I used to have the hardest time playing G that way, same pinky issues. I don't know if this would be the case with everyone but I think I finally made the transistion out of necessity with a certain song.

It was trying to learn a song in the key of C that was a relatively faster paced finger picking song (might have been Don't Think Twice by Dylan) that just kind of forced me to make the chord changes too fast to play it the other way and now I can do it pretty naturally.

http://www.robharmon.net
http://reverbnation.com/robharmon
Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM

I have noticed this with some of my students, so I willl mention this just in case this applies to your problem:

Keep your left wrist back (straight). Your pinky should be pressing down on the hi E string at a right angle, (not trying to push it off the edge of the neck).
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM

I play it with the ring and pinkie fingers like this: 3 x 0 0 0 3

If you need to grab the B on the 5th string just plop down the middle finger and unmute with the ring finger.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try some of this and see how it works.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

My pinkie gave me fits when I first started playing the G that way. Now, I don't even notice - feels very natural. The "other way" now feels awkward. About all I can advice is perseverance!

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I've been teaching a lot of kids lately.

For some people, having the ring and pinky spread across the whole neck is just really difficult. It's a large stretch. Take a look at your hand position. I agree with the comment that your wrist should be fairly straight and your pinky at a 90 degree angle. Make sure you're bending your fingers to get around the neck as opposed to bending your wrist. Hand position can solve a lot of problems. As was said above, play that C and then switch to the G. Watch what happens to your wrist. If you bend it a lot more, you need to retrain your hand.

Also, be careful you aren't squeezing too hard.

One more thing... if you tip your guitar forward a tiny bit a la Laurence Juber, it makes it easier to play that chord. Harder to see it, but easier to play.

Good luck,

Cheers,
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I know this is the ideal way to play a G, as it facilitates rapid switching between G and C, but I've never been able to do it either. Same pinky problems (not the least of which is due to short fingers).

I feel your pain. My left pinky has been one of the biggest hindrances to my progress.

I tried straightening my wrist like you guys said, it's definitely helped. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write