The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-11-2018, 02:33 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Beautiful guitar build! Thanks for posting this, Marcus. Great to see work from luthiers that we may not have heard about before.

Congrats on the new build, John! Would love to see some pics of that when it gets rolling.

JR
Old 05-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Beautiful guitar build! Thanks for posting this, Marcus. Great to see work from luthiers that we may not have heard about before.

Congrats on the new build, Josh! Would love to see some pics of that when it gets rolling.

JR

This build was commissioned through Golden Era and I have no doubt that Marcus will document it! The materials are really awesome!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post

Congrats on the new build, John! Would love to see some pics of that when it gets rolling.

JR
You should really put it down on your to-do list to play Gage's guitars. Incredible attention to detail in all aspects of the build and the sound shows through it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
This build was commissioned through Golden Era and I have no doubt that Marcus will document it! The materials are really awesome!
Can't wait for this build to get started! Gage told me that his personal favourite wood combination is Cedar/BRW so I think you should be in good hands

I have been very busy with personal matters and will be going overseas shortly so I sincerely apologise for delaying photos, videos and a review of this Halland!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Here are some loooong overdue photos and a quick review due to me being overseas. I shall be recording a quick video of the guitar in the weeks to come so do keep your eyes peeled for that too!

Gage Halland builds incredible guitars - the workmanship is immaculate and they sound amazing to boot. I am going to post a series of photos to show off the aesthetics of his guitars first followed by a short review (and maybe sound clip) in the upcoming days.

First up are some full bodied shots of the guitar and Hoffee case before we dive down into the details:

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 AM

Default TOP

Here are some photos focusing on the top of this Halland - a beautifully OM shaped body with his signature cutaway, rosette and pinless bridge

Here is a close up of the rosette. The burl rosette is bound by 2 rings of beautifully figured paua abalone, which is in turn bound by a unique blue/red/blue detail, and the sound hole itself bound in ebony too!

Notice his unique double purfling with a blue border - such intricate workmanship that is executed flawlessly.

The lines of his cutaway are also very graceful and unique, almost like a florentine/venetian hybrid

Everything about a Halland guitar is so classy, even down to the label; it has a bird nest texture which is iridescent.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Thats absolutely smashing...has the greenfield style/vibes that I really like and I would expect it has some of that sound too...you really cant go wrong!

Would love to try one.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 AM

Absolutely stunning!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Thats absolutely smashing...has the greenfield style/vibes that I really like and I would expect it has some of that sound too...you really cant go wrong!

Would love to try one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Absolutely stunning!!
His guitars are really quite something! It certainly has much resemblance to a Greenfield - at nearly half the price of one, you are are really getting quite a lot of value for the guitar

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Really looking forward to playing a Halland one day...
Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post

And you will.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
You really should Dave! Great guitar even for your exquisite taste

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Headstock

One of my favourite aspects of Gage's guitars is his headstock. So unique, yet so simple and elegant. Black ebony face with a beautiful mother of pearl logo which was clearly well designed and thought out!

Love the beveled edge of the headstock too!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up

Marcus, EVERYTHING about the guitar is extremely appealing (including the headstock). Now please post a sound clip so we can better appreciate your suggesting it might be the best guitar you've played.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Ct20; 06-06-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
Marcus, EVERYTHING about the guitar is extremely appealing (including the headstock). Now please post a sound clip so we can better appreciate your suggesting it might be the best guitar you've played.
Thank you in advance.
Will definitely be doing a video for this beauty!

Okay, since this has come up, maybe a quick description of the sound is in order. It is everything a good guitar should be - loud, responsive, versatile, clear, and FAT.

Loud - not the loudest guitar I've played but certainly loud enough to not really want/need more volume

Responsive - the guitar is responsive but I feel that it responds more so to a heavier touch. Those who play softly would likely benefit greatly from a softer top like Engelmann or Cedar (Josh has a light touch without nails which is why Cedar was a great choice for him). The guitar really shines when you dig in, probably the best guitar I've played for digging in, the headroom is incredible. It shines with aggressive playing like Andy Mckee's more aggressive songs like Tight Trite Night and Ebon Coast the notes get really meaty the more you dig in, without compression.

Versatile - I guess this is a bit more subjective where it wouldn't necessarily be versatile for someone who plays softly. But for someone with an average touch, it would be quite versatile for him to dig in. Despite being categorised as a fingerstyle guitar, clients who have played the guitar in my showroom noted that they especially enjoyed it strummed too.

Clear - no complaints here. Just a clear voice without muddiness. Which is quite surprising given the fatness of the tone.

FAT - so this is actually why I would say that it's the best guitar I've played. The Halland has all the traits a great guitar has, but it has this extra thing which is the incredible fatness of tone, that I've not played in another instrument. Best, in a more objective sense, does not always equate to favourite, which is a subjective notion. I haven't decided yet if it's my favourite guitar, but it certainly ranks high on my personal list. This fat tone would be subject to each individual's preference and I can imagine that some might find it "too" fat. It is quite a unique experience to play a Halland due to its tone which will change how you think a guitar can and should sound.

The Halland is a heavy guitar which I am guessing is how Gage draws the fat tone out, but it does not sacrifice on volume, responsiveness and clarity which is not an easy feat! Overall, a flawlessly constructed instrument with an incredible sound.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Default SOUND CLIP

Here is a quick 100% unprocessed sound clip. I am still figuring out how to record and the mic placement is obviously sub-optimal but here is a sample for you guys to hear before the video comes out. It is an excerpt from Andy McKee's "Ebon Coast" which is quite fitting since he plays Greenfield Guitars

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
gage halland, golden era guitars, halland guitars, singapore, the golden era guitar