The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM

I no longer use it but my Bose L1 with 2 subs is perfect! I went through a lot of systems but nothing was better unless you hired a location crew. If I had to use the L1 today, I would just hire a Sherpa.
That Bose S1 Pro looks like a must/gotta have.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

AER Compact works on all my acoustics.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Captain Jim, thank you for the correction on price info. Sorry for the mistake. when I bought an AER Compact 3 a few years ago the price was just under $1000, and I was thinking that in addition to purchasing the Bose S1 Pro that one would need to purchase the Bose Tone Engine (or whatever it is called), that costs another $300 - $400 or so. But I guess one would not necessarily need to purchase the Bose Tone Engine.....
Old 05-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Captain Jim, thank you for the correction on price info. Sorry for the mistake. when I bought an AER Compact 3 a few years ago the price was just under $1000, and I was thinking that in addition to purchasing the Bose S1 Pro that one would need to purchase the Bose Tone Engine (or whatever it is called), that costs another $300 - $400 or so. But I guess one would not necessarily need to purchase the Bose Tone Engine.....
Ah, got it - what you have must be the AER Compact 60/3 ($1199) - essentially, the 3rd generation of the original Compact 60. I had never heard it referred to as a "Compact 3" before. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be nit-picky, just trying to understand what AER would be price comparable with the S1. I thought maybe there was a new model I didn't know about. AER makes nice stuff.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 PM

I’ve been happy enough with my Fishman LB Performer. I’ve used it for outdoor venues with crowds of > 100 people, and it worked well for that, as well as for smaller, more intimate venues. I keep thinking it would be cool to have a battery-powered amp (like the LB Mini Charge or Bose S1), but I had a Crate TX30 taxi amp for years and frankly never once used it without AC, so I think it’s probably one of those “nice to have, but not necessary” features. Really, the only feature missing from the loudbox that I wish it had were separate volume controls for the two channels, rather than a master volume, but that hasn’t really proven to be an issue. Oh - and I also wish that the tolex didn’t tear every time I looked at it cross-eyed!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Loudbox Mini works well enough for my needs. My Rainsong has a K&K Pure Mini pickup with a K&K preamp and it sounds great with the Loudbox Mini.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

QSC KW153

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...-series/kw153/

You can plug guitar and vocals directly into the back. Not super portable, but full range, sounds great, and plenty loud.

We've used it in a big field for about 300 people.

The little Rolands weren't getting the job done...

Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Yes, AER Compact 60/3. See, I am not pulling it out often enough to even remember the name correctly.........When I bought it several years ago it cost $999.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Guest 928

I just received the Bose Pro S. It comes with a minimal and small-print manual but is fairly straightforward and it only took a quick call to Sweetwater to figure out the various positions on the switch.

I've lent out my Roland AC33 so cannot make a direct comparison at the time. After a brief play of the Bose my guess is that it may be a bit more powerful than the Roland. I'm also guessing that the Roland may be more satisfactory tonally. These are just guesses until I get the two together.

If the promo is correct, the Bose will probably run longer on the battery. The Bose also beats out the Roland in that it is designed to simply plug in to charge rather than having to remove the batteries and charge in a separate charger--this is not overly important to me since I have wired the Roland so that I can simply plug it in out removing the batteries).

Weight is another difference that may or may not be important to a player. The Roland is 10 lbs. while the Bose is 15. As I've gotten older I've tried to lighten the load and that extra 5 pounds will play into my decision-making.

When the Roland comes home I'll have a chance to do a better comparison. Meanwhile, if my nephew followed through on his earlier comment, he'll be able to add to the conversation.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Play my CA Blade (carbon fiber electric guitar) through a Boss Katana 100 amp. The Katana also serves as my acoustic amp when I plug in a CF acoustic . It has a dedicated pre-amp for acoustic guitar (as opposed to an acoustic simulation effect) and works pretty well for acoustic. Such a great amp for less than four Ben Franklins.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Guest 928

And so, I took the Bose (and my fantastic Emerald thin-bodied, nylon string electric) down to the park and had two players check it out. Without direct comparison with my Roland AC33 I was unsure about which was the better amp.

The two players at the park were sure. They have both heard me play the AC and thought the Bose was superior. They both commented on the bass quality and they both thought it put out a clean sound. They both also thought the Bose projected better.

I'm not sure. When I get the Roland back I'll be setting the two amps together, flat line the various controls and see what I have. Pretty exciting stuff.

Mr K; do you have yours yet? I'll be interested in your judgment.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Evan, would both amps together make a fine wet-dry setup using an ABY splitter? I tend to err on the side of accumulating gear.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Not just yet...soon though is the plan
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Play my CA Blade (carbon fiber electric guitar) through a Boss Katana 100 amp. The Katana also serves as my acoustic amp when I plug in a CF acoustic . It has a dedicated pre-amp for acoustic guitar (as opposed to an acoustic simulation effect) and works pretty well for acoustic. Such a great amp for less than four Ben Franklins.
I have the Katana 50, works very well for my needs, which are few. LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And so, I took the Bose (and my fantastic Emerald thin-bodied, nylon string electric) down to the park and had two players check it out. Without direct comparison with my Roland AC33 I was unsure about which was the better amp.

The two players at the park were sure. They have both heard me play the AC and thought the Bose was superior. They both commented on the bass quality and they both thought it put out a clean sound. They both also thought the Bose projected better.

I'm not sure. When I get the Roland back I'll be setting the two amps together, flat line the various controls and see what I have. Pretty exciting stuff.

The AC 33 is a nice amp. What they are calling a 30 watt output is actually 15 watts into each of the two 5" speakers (stereo). Bose generally plays their power ratings pretty close to the vest, but I have read that the S1 is 40 watts; it has one 6" speaker and three 2.25" drivers mounted in a curved array. I would expect from those specs that the S1 would put out more sound and in a wider spread than the AC 33. Likely crisper highs. Also why the Bose weighs 5 pounds more.

It has been 6 or 7 years since I auditioned an AC 33 - I recall thinking the sound was decent, warm; but not particularly "lively." (for lack of a better word)

Just like we all have varying tastes in guitars, but each can be satisfying for the situation, the same holds with amps/PAs.

Speaking of those extra 5 pounds: Bose does a good job with the ergonomics with that built-in handle vs the screwed on handle on top of the Roland.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the comparison when you get your Roland back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber