The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-20-2018, 12:51 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. I recently acquired an El Capitan myself, and have the same dilemma about clip on headstock tuners. I don't see dimensions on the size of the soundhole tuner, but it doesn't look like that will fit inside the soundhole anywhere.

I have a Pitch Pocket HST and TC Electronic Polytune. There seems to be just enough room to place either one of these between the B and the G string tuners and tune up to pitch. Seems to work, but not very secure, so you'll want to take them off once done tuning.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.November View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. I recently acquired an El Capitan myself, and have the same dilemma about clip on headstock tuners. I don't see dimensions on the size of the soundhole tuner, but it doesn't look like that will fit inside the soundhole anywhere.

I have a Pitch Pocket HST and TC Electronic Polytune. There seems to be just enough room to place either one of these between the B and the G string tuners and tune up to pitch. Seems to work, but not very secure, so you'll want to take them off once done tuning.
Thank you Mr. Nov. Will check it out and report back on the in hole tuner.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Jon....wow!!! Perfect... just ordered!!!

Thank you sir!!!!
BTW, I put a tiny piece of chair leg felt inside the guitar to make the sound board thick enough for the tuner.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I put a tiny piece of chair leg felt inside the guitar .
Good idea... I better buy stock in the company that makes the felt.... cause when word gets out!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM

HI Everyone,

Just received the in sound hole tuners and fit great in my El Capitan. Also fits in my Savoy...but have to angle it down the sound hole a little bit because of the bracing on the Savoy comes pretty close to the sound hole.

Jon.. on your point to add some chair leg felt.... I am a little concerned to add more pressure to the hook... there were some posts that hook would break easy trying to remove.

I love this board.. would have never found this marvel without everyone’s help....

Many thanks.... ordering one for my future Farallon....
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM

A lil something from a crazy source...

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...-on-uber-tuner
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Jon.. on your point to add some chair leg felt.... I am a little concerned to add more pressure to the hook... there were some posts that hook would break easy trying to remove.
My RainSongs have really thin tops at the soundhole (the spacer between the outside and inside CF layers does not run to the edge of the soundhole -- a good idea so that they mate directly to avoid delamination). I think without adding a little thickness to the top the tuner could fall out. No problems breaking the tuners, but other CF guitars are certainly made differently.

Jon Fields
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
BTW, I put a tiny piece of chair leg felt inside the guitar to make the sound board thick enough for the tuner.

Since clip on tuners read vibrations wouldn’t the felt dampen the tuners readings?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Since clip on tuners read vibrations wouldn’t the felt dampen the tuners readings?
The felt is inside the guitar where the tuner has a flexible metal piece that holds it in place. The main housing of the tuner is flat against the outside surface of the sound board. It works as well in my installation as in a wooden guitar with no felt.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber