The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Favor requested: any Blackbird Savoy owner in/around DC?

I'm thinking about getting a Blackbird Savoy; but I'm pretty sensitive to issues of neck thickness/shape, nut width, guitar shape (I know it's a small-bodied guitar, but to be careful), etc., so I'd like to actually encounter one face-to-face. But I don't know anyone who owns one. So I figured I'd check in here and see if there's someone in the DC area who owns one and who wouldn't mind a visitor some evening, or meeting me somewhere briefly, so I could check out the guitar. This probably seems like an odd inquiry; but the nearest Blackbird dealer is four hours drive away.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 AM

That's not an odd thing at all...I have showed guitars to several folks over the years ... sorry I am not closer
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

The folks on this forum are friendly and supportive. We all understand that carbon fiber options are not readily available in your neighborhood guitar store. I had the opportunity to play a bunch of different CF guitars at Kramster's home, when Earl (who we haven't seen much of lately) arranged a get-together in February. One of the guitars was the Savoy. I found the neck on it very comfortable - my preference is towards a Taylor type neck.

I understand that doesn't help with you being able to get hands on, but the size and feel of the guitar was similar to a GSmini, with the Savoy having a better feel to the neck (better scale and nut width for me).

In case you can't find one to play reasonably local.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

funk, I tried to do the exact same thing while I was at my winter home in Florida...play a Savoy before I consider buying. Imo, it’s a very wise thing for you to try to do. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make such an arrangement, so once again, I took a leap-of-faith and bought a used basic one from a forum member at a reasonable price.

I’ve bought a number of guitars without first trying and I have always been happy with the result...except with the Savoy. The guitar is not suited to me at all. The neck shape and feel was quite comfortable for me. The tone was too dark for my own taste, but it is a loud little bugger with a lot of horsepower for such a small guitar. The 12-fret design moves the bridge back and with the lower waist positioning, it made the guitar unplayable for me without a strap while seated when placed on my preferred right thigh. Without a strap, I was forced to play it in classical position, which I don’t like. These factors caused the fretboard to feel very cramped for me...this coming from a guy who has long owned a short scale CA Cargo and doesn’t find that guitar cramped.

Fit and finish on the Savoy is nice...that said, the back and sides have an ‘organic’ look, sometimes with loose ekoa fibers protruding. Some seem to like it. I don’t. All these factors considered, I’ve since sold mine.

Imo, the guitar is very expensive to take a chance on, so if I were you, I wouldn’t buy one without first trying. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Goo idea to try a Savoy before you commit to be sure you'll like the ergonomics. I sold mine to get a bigger composite (namely an Emerald X20, the Blackbird El Capitan is a bit too expensive with the options I like), but I'll miss her for sure

If the size works for you it's a fantastic guitar. Great tone and projection, and what a beauty in sunburst!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Blackbird Savoy; but I'm pretty sensitive to issues of neck thickness/shape, nut width, guitar shape (I know it's a small-bodied guitar, but to be careful), etc., so I'd like to actually encounter one face-to-face. But I don't know anyone who owns one. So I figured I'd check in here and see if there's someone in the DC area who owns one and who wouldn't mind a visitor some evening, or meeting me somewhere briefly, so I could check out the guitar. This probably seems like an odd inquiry; but the nearest Blackbird dealer is four hours drive away.

Thanks for any help!
I'd like to wrap my hand around one of those as well. I'm about 30 minutes north of Charlottesville. which means about 2 hours from the district.
I have a Rainsong with an N2 which I love, love, love, love, love.(it's kinda nice)
I'll be watching this thread closley to see if you find a willing AG citizen.
Good luck
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your comments on this thread. I do hope someone in the DC area that has one sees the thread at some point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber