The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Guest 928

Rez;
I'm not sure how linking the two amps would work. I'm trying to lighten the load and looking for the amp that gives me portability in terms of weight and battery ability.

Captain;
You have it right on the handle--the Roland handle is a pain, the Bose is easy. I'll be getting the Roland back sometime in early June, and then the comparisons will begin.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Evan, I’m looking forward to your comparisons. My AC33 is still going strong and the weight difference would be a big factor for me. I also really love the looper and antifeedback features on the Roland. Keep us posted!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Currently running my CA Cargo into a Fishman LB Artist, and for larger venues I'll run out of the two channel DI outs into a pair of channels on my Alto six channel board which feeds a pair of Yamaha DXR10s. System sounds amazing. I also have an LB Mini as a backup amp, and an entire Alto 24-channel PA with 50' snake, 12" mains and 15" subs if I ever needed to really lay down the thump in a large venue. Also have another CA Cargo on the way for a backup gigging guitar. I love my little Cargo.

Also have the Roland Cube Street EX PA Pack (2 acoustic amps). But I usually use that rig for my Nuevo flamenco gig. Seems to work very well with my Cordoba flamenco guitars.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-24-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM
Guest 928

Red;

I share your affinity for the Cargo, it was, and is, an incredible instrument. If I wasn't a nylon string player I'd probably have either the Cargo or the X7 as my sidekicks.

You are obviously making some big sound, I'm more linked to small, village activities. But I share your observations regarding the Roland. I have the little Roland Mobile Cube and it really fits my electric nylon string. It has a distortion setting the takes the mellow nylon strings and turns them nasty--there's some fun there!

When I have the AC33 and the Bose together, I will try them both with a distortion petal just to see how they compare with the Mobile.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM

Playing my Rainsong WH-1000N2,
Great results with various combinations of:
Bose L1 Compact
Bose S1 Pro
Bose T1

I love the S1 Pro as a stand-alone acoustic amp. To my ear. it has the best sound of any I've used or tried.
Also found documents giving it 160 watts of power.

Also played my CF with a Kustom PA50 and Harbinger Vari 212 but needs careful EQ.

Last edited by cc407; 05-25-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Default So unless I’m mistaken

Most of us plug into PA units, shape sounds with pedals and occasionally use amps as monitors?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:28 PM

I run my cargo into a PADI into an AC33. For bigger venues I run the out of the AC33 into an SA220 FISHSTICK. This works for my purposes.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

Got in 5 hours of play last night, joined by an electric piano, two electric guitars, a bass, some percussion and about 30 audience members--the Bose did very well with my X7 electric and the vocals.

In starting this thread I should have made it clear that I am primarily interested in battery powered light-weight amps. The Pig, nose, the Crate, various Rolands and the 4-input Carvin have all been given a run. For the past 5 or so years the Roland AC33 won the race relative to weight, projection and tone. But the Bose has moved its way to the top.

One advantage of the Bose is that when played on battery power it does not lose any of its punch--the Roland does. Several different well-accomplished and experienced players gave the Bose a run while another player was using my Roland--I've given the Roland to a village player and the Bose is now my go-to public amp.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
In starting this thread I should have made it clear that I am primarily interested in battery powered light-weight amps..
NOW you tell us?? ...sigh...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 AM

Wow,Evan! Can you tell us more about why you prefer the Bose to the Roland to make it worth the extra weight?
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Guest 928

Penny;

First, I found the extra 5 lbs. were not a problem. And while it's petty, the Roland handle has always been a bit of a pain, to the point where I was considering adding my own. Also, I don't know if it has changed, but I had to pull the batteries out of the AC for charging--I wired a fix so that it can just be plugged in, but it was irksome. These are all little concerns.

There are, in my estimation, two major differences. The Bose reaches out to a lot more ears. Last night I was playing to an audience range of 50 feet, in an outdoor venue--the Roland would have been lost in the mix while the Bose was right there.

Not only does the Bose push harder, it does so without any loss of fidelity. The clarity and tonal qualities of the Bose are stellar.

I'm not sure if the noted qualities would be worth the extra $200 (beyond the Roland price) to everyone. But if you are a dedicated player, if you like traveling light, if you want a mobile unit that can keep up with mid-range plug-in amps, then this might be the tool for you.

Mr. K;

I didn't want to lay too much on you at one time. Now that you know, perhaps you should try one and let Penny (and others) know your thoughts (about the amp).
Old 06-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Evan!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Seriously, Evan... have I ever steered you wrong? The S1 is a treat.

When I was a kid, I would have laughed off anything that small. I'm not a kid anymore.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

No, you have never steered me wrong. You chart a pretty straight and narrow course and have a high credibility in my log book. Your comments regarding the Roland and the Bose were right on. Your admiration for the X7 is also well deserved. Everyone who has played my 7 electric has come away praising its size, its output, and its comfort. I am looking forward to comparing the 7 with the 10 electric.

Speaking of small. Years ago I helped bring in Buckminster Fuller for a university lecture. His theme was the future of smallness, about living out of a suitcase. I enjoyed talking with the man, but didn't take his vision of the future too seriously. Now I see that he was on the money, we are living through and age of micro everything.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 PM

I used Trace Elliot TA40CR originally. Sound quite nice. But being blowed away by Henriksen the bud ten which bought recently. Especially the bass is very attractive!

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber