The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Default I hope you aren't on Facebook

I can't imagine how angry I'd be if this happened to me.
Just goes to show, when something is free these days, you are the product being sold.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/13/65717...al-data-stolen
Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 PM

What personal data is there to be stolen? No one will find my bank account number, phone number or address from my Facebook account. I don't put anything on Facebook that you couldn't discover from just reading my Facebook posts and I certainly don't post bank account numbers or anything like that.
Granted, someone who saw my name on Facebook could probably look me up in the phonebook, but they could also do that on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. What kinds of personal data are people putting on Facebook?
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Don't put anything on line that you don't want everyone on line to see.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
What personal data is there to be stolen? No one will find my bank account number, phone number or address from my Facebook account. I don't put anything on Facebook that you couldn't discover from just reading my Facebook posts and I certainly don't post bank account numbers or anything like that.
Granted, someone who saw my name on Facebook could probably look me up in the phonebook, but they could also do that on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. What kinds of personal data are people putting on Facebook?
Everything someone would need to do a password reset on most of your online accounts.

TMI
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM

I’ve been on FB for years. Please!!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Not surprised...
Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 AM

Luckily, we're all on a free but very secure, completely different social media site like the AGF.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 AM

One of the things people misunderstand is that after you setup an account, different services will then continually add onto the data you have given them. Certain websites pay (sometimes hundreds of thousands of) other web sites to allow them to add a 1 pixel x 1 pixel transparent image. What this does is since the image, which is basically a transparent dot, is served from the paying web site's servers, they can track it. So, once you have an account, they have the assigned IP address from each time you log in. Then, even if you log out, they can identify different sites you have visited and add that to your 'profile'. If you link with a friend, now they connect their info (friends, web sites visited, purchases, items put in a 'cart' but not purchased...). It doesn't stop.

I have first hand knowledge of how data is a commodity that is sold. They have pretty advanced algorithms that are pretty accurate at 'guessing' who you are from other personal-data they have purchased. I believe many credit card companies share and sell your data with other companies. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I do know that it would be rather trivial for a company like Facebook, after gathering a certain amount of information on you, to take data purchased from other companies and what is available from public records, and merge them into your profile.

The depth and breadth of many single companies to compile pretty accurate data sets of an individual are truly frightening.

The one thing I can recommend doing is to not underestimate what companies can do.

I completely agree with you about being cognizant of what information you are giving any company. Just understand that the information you give to individual companies can and is correlated.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Luckily, we're all on a free but very secure, completely different social media site like the AGF.
What I thought. I used to share running a vBulletin forum so many times saw this one was not current or patched. Last time I looked it was 3.x and I think 5.x is current.

More important is quite often I see people on small time forums raging about platforms where I'm sure they have far more security going on.

Another irony is Google just got caught not being upfront or with proper candor over a security compromise and we have how many millions of people not making noise about that or realizing how much Google use could be called thier being the product.

One more to consider is how many of you recycle passwords? That's well about 10 on the 1 - 10 scale of being stupid. Think about it. Most forums and systems use the same few database and web server platforms. If one has a vulnerability and your info is captured you've just given it away for several more.

I'm just fine with people knowing I like my family, friends, bicycles, skiing, and guitars. That doesn't seem like it could be abused the way your cell carrier, ISP and most law enforcement agencies could abuse private data.

Worried about privacy? It's not just your cell phone. Look for that camera on so many police cars these days. They read your license plates and databases can be compared. Look at how much private data you have to give just to have a dentist clean your teeth. Your phone companies, ISPs, insurance companies and law enforcement can put together a picture far more telling than Facebook showing the silly stuff my dog did yesterday.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Somehow I am not to concerned if facebook hackers find out I play acoustic guitar, or ride a motorcycle, or went fishing in Baja 7 years ago.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This. According to the article, they gained access to recent search history and locations. So, for me, they'd find out I'm in NorCal and searching for some guitar stuff, a couple of local businesses, and the name of an old friend, who I learned had passed away. None of this information is going to jeopardize my financial or personal security.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic