The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Guitar shops around Farmington CT

I’m currently out in Farmington Connecticut on business and I’m looking for some shops close by. If anybody lives out this way please let me know where some shops are.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 PM

RC - It's sparse in the Hartford area, but, consider a trip down to Guilford (about an hour south) to Acousticmusic.org - there are two buildings. The storefront on rt. 1 has a very nice selection of guitars, but the real treasures are in the house behind. Just ask and they'll let you know how to get in. Last weekend, they hosted John Knowles, CGP for a concert and workshop. This will be well worth your trip. Here's a thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=444813

- About 30 min southwest, is Brian's Guitars in Cheshire, CT.
- The usual Guitar Centers - one in Southington (about fifteen minutes) and one in Manchester, CT (about twenty minutes).
- Whole Tone Guitars in Glastonbury (twenty minutes) has mainly new guitars, but it's a comfortable shop
- Martel Music in Plainville (ten minutes) just opened and they are trying to get some higher end instruments in
- And there are some holes in the wall, but nothing consistent

best,

Rick
-
Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of close by. I'm not familiar with any shops within 10 miles of Farmington, but here's a couple of suggestions.

Whole Tone Guitars is around 20 miles away in Glastonbury. I went there to check out their selection of Breedloves (they are what Breedlove calls a "Distinctive Dealer") and they had quite a few Martins, as I recall.

If you have more time and don't mind a 50 mile drive, check out Acoustic Music in Guilford. They have an excellent selection - Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Flammang, Guild, Martin, Santa Cruz, Waterloo. I see they have a Manzer in stock at the moment. The more expensive guitars are hidden away in a smaller shop a short walk away from the storefront. Well worth a visit. PM me if you want to meet up there. I'm close by.

Oops, I see srick beat me to it.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 05-22-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: I see srick beat me to it
Old 05-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Oops, I see srick beat me to it.
Yeah, but we are 100% in agreement!

Rick
Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Yeah, but we are 100% in agreement!

Rick
Yes we are! BTW, I would think that Brian's is more of an electric shop, especially if the OP likes PRS (and he has usually some very nice vintage electrics as well).
Old 05-22-2018, 07:14 PM

Acoustic guitar is great.

Whole Tone has some good guitars too. He had some nice Breedlove guitars the last time I was there.

Brian's guitars as previously stated is primarily an electric guitar store.

I was in Martel in plainville right after they opened. The crowd noise turned me off. I keep meaning to go back and see what it's like now that the newness has worn off.

Joe's guitar in Wallingford is a nice family run store. But you won't find a lot of high end guitars there.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies, if I get done early enough tomorrow I will check them out.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 PM

Yes, Acoustic Music.org in Guilford, I bought everything in my signature (except the 914ce) there and about 20 more. Great store, Closed Sun and Monday, Only 5 minutes off Rt 95, 10 Minutes from New Haven.
...It's a long painful ride from Farmington though.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer12 View Post
Thanks for the replies, if I get done early enough tomorrow I will check them out.
FYI, Acoustic Music's hours are 11-6 Tues-Fri, and 11-5 on Sat.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Eric Skye

Acoustic Music.org in Guilford. Great store. Say hi to Brian for me
Old 05-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Whole Tone on Main Street in Glastonbury has a nice selection of Martins as well as some other brands. It is on the other side of Hartford from Farmington, not a fun drive at rush hour. And it is in rear of a small plaza, you've got to hunt a little to find it. But a nice shop.

The guys are easygoing and so is the shop dog.

The Guitar Center in Southington is right down Route 10, but the selection is so/so. It has a dedicated acoustic room, but no separate areas for playing alone.

The GC in Manchester is also on the other side of Hartford, has a better selection of acoustics and 2 smaller rooms within the acoustic main room where you can be alone (or almost alone), and in one of them you can plug in if you want. Much better than the one in Southington.

As Rick said the immediate area is not an oasis of acoustic guitars. If you have time a trip to Guilford seems to be the best bet (I've not been myself).

Enjoy your stay here!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 PM

So, rcflyer12, any luck?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion