The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I have two squier classic vibe strats, a 50’s and a 60’s. One is a tobacco burst and the other is called burgundy mist but it’s really light purple. [emoji16]
Old 12-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Always 'get the guitar that works for you and your playing conditions'. The guitar with 'bite' you like at lower volume might not sound as good at gigging volume, but if that's not what you do, it doesn't matter. For electric guitars, its always a match between the guitar/pickups AND the amp you use.

I don't understand the tech's 'saddle intonation' comment - the saddles are adjustable, right? Did he mean that the adjustment all the way to one side (long or short) still doesn't get it right? Too bad about the slipping tuner, that would be a reason for exchange right away.
On the Player Tele my tech pointed out right away the individual saddles were not adjusted for intonation from the factory, so just a regular set up issue. At the volumes I was using it also it was very twangy by which I mean each string very tightly individualized and thin. At higher volume it might have thickened up considerably. It was put through my Pro Junior which is very tweedy and roars at high volume.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have two squier classic vibe strats, a 50’s and a 60’s. One is a tobacco burst and the other is called burgundy mist but it’s really light purple. [emoji16]
Nice. I owned both the 50s and 60s classic vibe Strats too. Same tobacco burst on the 60s and the 50s maple board was sea foam green with aged white pickup and control covers - it was a gorgeous finish.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM

lowrider: yes large image but the bound ‘classic vibe custom’ is a beauty.
Unlike the other CV’s the CVC model is most subject to pickup swap due to complaints of thin tone which may be a result of the combination of the particular pickups and the ultra thin neck profile.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM

Nothing wrong with Squiers. I have a couple of Squier Teles that are good guitars without changing a thing on 'em. Are they as good as my American Standard Tele? - no, they are not: not the neck, build, finish, or electronics. Do I care? No, I don't - each of those Squiers has its own unique sound and personality, and each one has earned its playing time by being a decent guitar by any reasonable standard. I like them.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have four Squires, including a CVC tele, a CV 60s strat, a J Mascis Jazzmaster, and a VM 5 String bass. All of them are exceptional instruments and rival their Fender counterparts.
Last month I purchased the Squier Special edition Strat with H-S-S in Race Green someone had posted here. Brought it to my lesson last week. My teacher, a 40+ year player/instructor was so impressed he ordered one. For under 200 this thing plays/sounds like 2000. They really knocked it out of the park with this one. Special thanks to Sweetwater for super fast service.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
lowrider: yes large image but the bound ‘classic vibe custom’ is a beauty.
Unlike the other CV’s the CVC model is most subject to pickup swap due to complaints of thin tone which may be a result of the combination of the particular pickups and the ultra thin neck profile.

Well, that's too bad. I don't know anything about electrics so I don't want to have problems. What about the plain pine CV?

Or, I could move up to the Player series!

I've got a lot to learn.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Once you get past a certain basic standard of quality for materials/construction, a good guitar is a good guitar no matter what the price tag says.

It's a pretty simple instrument, in a lot of ways. Solid body. Less solid neck. Polish up the frets and screw down the hardware. Done.

There will definitely be some we like better than others - but they won't always be the most expensive ones.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Well, that's too bad. I don't know anything about electrics so I don't want to have problems. What about the plain pine CV?

I've got a lot to learn.
Honestly considering the price of a good all solid wood acoustic guitar, the American Professional in mystic seafoam with maple board looked worth the price.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I've got a lot to learn.
There are quite a lot of people who love the tone of the CVC guitars. I own one and although I did swap out the the pickups, I only did so because I was chasing a very specific tone. The stock pickups were quite good with a good setup.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 PM

My Squier Thinline is so good I have wondered if Fender isn't killing its own mainline sales by selling this one.

It was meant to be an interim guitar until I got "the real thing". Took me a short while to realize I already had it. Now if I can just find one in pink sparkle.....
Old 12-16-2018, 03:20 AM

I still play my 1998 Korean Squier Strat (from the last year they produced the slightly higher quality Korean models). It was my first guitar and is still my only strat. I play it quite a bit actually!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 AM

I just bought a mint (probably return) Squier MV '72 Thinline Telecaster for 3 bills. The saddles and tuners are not up to par with my Bluesboy, but the pickups on it are scary good. The tone pot is more effective than on most guitars I've played too - rolls off treble with sucking out all the volume. I'm not a fan of the thin, low frets but all-in-all it is a great player. lots 'o bang for the $

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM

I just picked up a used CV Tele Custom...replacing the saddles with brass Gotohs and rewiring with an Emerson four way, but everything else is staying the same...great guitar!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
OK I finally arrived in Mexico with a Fender Telecaster ‘50s Classic Series. The entire guitar is slathered with gloss nitrocellulose lacquer* the likes I’ve never seen except on a J-45 a few years back. On a solid body electric guitar it does not inhibit resonance (irony & humor) but appeals to those who like the feel. The classic vibe is in no way a lesser Telecaster but only in its more basic poly finish.

*beautifully polished, meticulous fret work, soft action at the nut, vintage tint fat ‘50s neck a dream fit in the hand.
This particular guitar was purchased during a momentary lapse of reason at the end of a quick succession of acquisition of fine instruments including the classic vibe ‘50s Telecaster. Most of the time quickly decided purchases can be high rate of return but I’m happy to report this came fine tuned from the factory for nut, relief, and as best as possible good intonation of the three uncompensated steel barrel saddles. A rare guitar I won’t have to take in for a set up anytime soon.

Going to put flatwounds on it; plain g string too prominent and I don’t do string bends/ used for same repertoire as acoustic

Last edited by Jaden; 12-16-2018 at 11:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars