The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Multi-FX Boss GT-8

Got a chance to grab one cheap. Talk me into/out of it.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:47 AM

I got an older GT-6. Nothing bad to say about it.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:06 PM

Depends on how cheap is cheap...

I've had one for years. I like it a lot.

Depends on what you plan to use it for. I've used it to record, with headphones on the couch and through a PA system live. I would recommend it.

Wide range of tones from clean to overdriven. Plenty of effects. What's not to like?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Depends on how cheap is cheap...

I've had one for years. I like it a lot.

Depends on what you plan to use it for. I've used it to record, with headphones on the couch and through a PA system live. I would recommend it.

Wide range of tones from clean to overdriven. Plenty of effects. What's not to like?
Price for the reported like-new unit is $100.
I'll probably record with it. Will be going direct to my USB mixer, may use live. If I do, will likely go through effects loop of my Bugera V22 combo.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 PM

Excellent price!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 AM

Default (Update)

I got it. It's in good shape. No scratches on the top. It's built like a tank. Was a little dusty and some of the panel 1/4" nuts show a hint of rust, but what a terrific multi-fx unit. Wow. Light years better than the Zoom G3X IMHO.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:41 PM

boss multi effect units are pretty cool. But like most multi-effects, they just have so much that is useless in real life. Then you end up using the same few reverbs, delays, and flanges For this reason i would never ever buy a multi-effects units brand new.

I bet you will have fun with it. Boss makes a good product.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftIsRight! View Post
boss multi effect units are pretty cool. But like most multi-effects, they just have so much that is useless in real life. Then you end up using the same few reverbs, delays, and flanges For this reason i would never ever buy a multi-effects units brand new.

I bet you will have fun with it. Boss makes a good product.

Yep it’s overwhelming sometimes. Especially when some of those effects are downright ridiculous. I mean who uses spaceship sound or whatever? My GT-6 has a nice sounding chorus and phaser, and of course the ever handy expression pedal which I mostly use as a volume pedal.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yep it’s overwhelming sometimes. Especially when some of those effects are downright ridiculous. I mean who uses spaceship sound or whatever? My GT-6 has a nice sounding chorus and phaser, and of course the ever handy expression pedal which I mostly use as a volume pedal.
Exactly haha.

So you use three functions out of everything is has?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftIsRight! View Post
Exactly haha.

So you use three functions out of everything is has?

Lol I do use quite a few of the amp models as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I got it. It's in good shape. No scratches on the top. It's built like a tank. Was a little dusty and some of the panel 1/4" nuts show a hint of rust, but what a terrific multi-fx unit. Wow. Light years better than the Zoom G3X IMHO.
OLDER THREAD Alert

Hey Yamahaguy, how are you liking your used GT-8?

I'm doing research now and leaning towards a used ME-25 for my meager beginner home use to go with my new Tele. A lot of good deals to be had in this used market.

I currently have a Digitech RP255 that came with a guitar a bought 3 years ago and cannot bond with this thing at all.

Thanks
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-24-2018, 09:23 AM

So the GT8 is great for venues where lugging an amp around is not feasible, or for a silent stage. I used it at an outdoor tent revival through a 4000+ watt system and it sounded killer! Through a pa it sounds really good. I find myself, however using my huge pedal board more often as it is quicker to dial in effects that I want on the fly. With the GT8, I have to remember the right patch number for each song, or make note of it on my chord chart for a particular song.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:46 AM

A new Zoom G1on is half that price and worth it if you just used it for the headphone amp.

Program new patches for what you want and disregard all the stuff you don't need.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks. I'm trying to find one that's simple, I hate that everything has gone to the microspopic LCD screens, I prefer real knobs when possible. Looks like all the newer stuff has gotten away from knobs.....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 AM

So I settled on a used mint ME-70. Just ordered off Reverb and includes FS-5 switch as well. All knobs and all labeled.

2011 technology.....but I'm good with that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars