The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Default So, I can make barre chords...

but can I change to them smoothly during a song? No! I still need a second or 2 to think about where my fingers go and how they should feel, to make the chord cleanly. And even then, there's no guarantee! Changing to and from a single barre, like the Bm which comes up often in songs I want to play, is killer. So I thought I should probably try to play more of the chords in a tune as barres, to reduce the distance between chords. I've been working on that. The Beatles' 8 Days a Week has a G Bm G Bm E. So I've been playing the G as a barre.

The thing is, I accept that it will take time to develop facility at this, and I get that I just have to keep plugging away. But what I don't understand is why some days it goes well, I feel hopeful about it. Other days, I can't do it at all! I can't seem to consistently hold on to the skill.

Any advice for me?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 PM

Not really, just keep at it. It takes some time and focus for you to go there effortlessly. Might even take two or three months. Everyone is different.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM

When you find the answer let me know. I can make them great when I practice them. When it comes to a song, who knows. May sound good may not. Like you I keep plugging away.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM

I hear ya. I've been playing for almost 2.5 years, and these are only starting to come more easily for me . . .
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

(typing on tablet which stinks so my answer will be short and ull of typos)

Its really about creating muscle memory which is more than just a catch phrase.

One theory is that you should practice the same thing over and over for 20 minutes and no more. Then sleep on it and your brain will replay and reinforce the new neural pathways it formed/found.

And total inconsistency is 100% normal and to be expected.

As hard as it seems just dont get yourself discouraged. When youhaev a bad practice day simply take a break to do something else.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Playing the guitar is just like every other exercise.

Stress + rest = improved performance.

A day off once or twice a week helps a lot.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Any advice for me?
On this forum there are a couple of hundred prior barre threads you could read through.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Its really about creating muscle memory which is more than just a catch phrase.

One theory is that you should practice the same thing over and over for 20 minutes and no more. Then sleep on it and your brain will replay and reinforce the new neural pathways it formed/found.

And total inconsistency is 100% normal and to be expected.

As hard as it seems just dont get yourself discouraged. When youhaev a bad practice day simply take a break to do something else.
Thank you, fazool. This is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
On this forum there are a couple of hundred prior barre threads you could read through.
Yes. I've read several of them. And made use of a lot of the advice. Which is partly why I've gotten as far as I have. The question I was asking was about retaining the skill.
If the only questions that were ever asked in this forum were brand new ones, I doubt there'd be many asked at all.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-20-2016, 11:43 PM

In your mind, be one beat or so ahead of what you are playing now. In the words of Pierre Bensusan, always think about the next note. If the next note is a barre chord, prepare your mind in advance. This idea helps in general to make your playing smoother, but can feel weird at first if you never tried it before.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
In your mind, be one beat or so ahead of what you are playing now. In the words of Pierre Bensusan, always think about the next note. If the next note is a barre chord, prepare your mind in advance. This idea helps in general to make your playing smoother, but can feel weird at first if you never tried it before.
Yep, one needs to be thinking ahead of where one is - even more so when the autopilot of muscle memory is not firmly established.
An interesting article: http://actu.epfl.ch/news/how-the-bra...in-time-slice/

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
but can I change to them smoothly during a song? No! I still need a second or 2 to think about where my fingers go and how they should feel, to make the chord cleanly. And even then, there's no guarantee! Changing to and from a single barre, like the Bm which comes up often in songs I want to play, is killer. So I thought I should probably try to play more of the chords in a tune as barres, to reduce the distance between chords. I've been working on that. The Beatles' 8 Days a Week has a G Bm G Bm E. So I've been playing the G as a barre.

The thing is, I accept that it will take time to develop facility at this, and I get that I just have to keep plugging away. But what I don't understand is why some days it goes well, I feel hopeful about it. Other days, I can't do it at all! I can't seem to consistently hold on to the skill.

Any advice for me?
Congratulations. You have entered the portal to the next level.

Yup, there are more levels....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write